Is it possible for a Will Smith trade? (1 Viewer)

whoami

Whodat Nation
Reaction score
And then draft a DE obtained with the pick in this trade? If we draft a DT in the 1st standing besides Hollis, Kendrick, Antwan, Mckinley I suspect Coach O might feel he is expendable...I just don't like a lot invested in the DE's and I suspect Coach Orgeron might be able to draft a good DE.

Or is Will Smith too invaluable to be let go?

It would be a bad idea to trade the best defensive player on a below average defense.

IMO if he lost a few pounds, he'd get his speed back from 06. Maybe Orgeron can lite a fire under him so he gets back to his old form. I remember his rookie year, he led the league (rookies) in forced fumbles.

He's our best defensive player and he's a pretty young guy by NFL standards.

so let's trade a good young DE so that we have to draft a DE to replace him and waste a high pick when there are other gaps on the defense in dire need of attention (DT, LB, CB, S)

How cheap do you think it would be to sign a first round DE that we wouldn't have to invest "a lot"? Investment also refers to implications beyond the financial.

you might have to explain this one alittle better... Will Smith has absolutely nothing to do with our DT's and he's way to much of a proven commodity to let him go.. DE's for the most part are hit or miss, we got 2 that hit, maybe not with sacks (hopefully O can fix this) but they are 2 of the best run stopping DE's in the game.. why risk this for an unproven talent... plus the DE market is very slim in the draft this year

He is way too valuable in the locker room. Ed will get him going.

I'm not a fan of spending a 1st round pick on a DE every few years and keep letting that player go. Lets build around the few good players we have. Put him and Charles on Jenny Craig and we'll be ready to go in 08.

Just think if the Saints could get a couple DTs that could put pressure up the middle, the sack numbers would go up for both of them cause the quarterbacks would be trying to scramble away from the pass rush up the middle. A better pass rush would help the team's suspect secondary as well since they wouldn't have to cover as long as they do now

Our D-line is good.... we just need someone to bring pressure up the middle so our ends can get to the qb

What makes you think a rookie will make it in the NFL -- except for Chris Long I do not see a sure fire prospect that is as good as Will Smith is -- so unless we can get both Dorsey/Ellis and Chris Long lets concentrate on keeping Smith and moving up in the draft to land the DT.

you might have to explain this one alittle better... Will Smith has absolutely nothing to do with our DT's and he's way to much of a proven commodity to let him go.. DE's for the most part are hit or miss, we got 2 that hit, maybe not with sacks (hopefully O can fix this) but they are 2 of the best run stopping DE's in the game.. why risk this for an unproven talent... plus the DE market is very slim in the draft this year

No question he is the best player on our defense... But how can you have two high paid DE's and no significant money (significant money == significant talent) invested in above average DT's and above average LB's? I think we need impact DTs more than 2 high pirced ends. If there is no significant pressure up the middle, so what good can two DEs rushing from the angles do? The opposing QB would just step up in the pocket. I would hate sending a safety up in the box for pressure, and just think, by upgrading to premier DT and good LBs we can stop the run significantly even over 2007 and have us rushing the passer...

What makes you think a rookie will make it in the NFL -- except for Chris Long I do not see a sure fire prospect that is as good as Will Smith is -- so unless we can get both Dorsey/Ellis and Chris Long lets concentrate on keeping Smith and moving up in the draft to land the DT.

More logical. Somebody has also said that you have to invest on both sides of teh ball so this is the year of spending defense?

Sorry for the silly question.

I really think that he and Grant will be a ot lighter this season and will thrive because of it. It is unbelieveable how fast they are when they lose a few. If gant gets his weight between 260 and 270 he would be a lot better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom