Is it possible for a Will Smith trade? (1 Viewer)

In almost every tread which discusses the Saints #1 problem....deals with the pressure on the opposing QB. Right now everybody agrees that we don't have the ability to rush the passer consistently.....but everybody who wants to retain our high priced run stopping DEs, so they're advocating for a speed rusher to contemplate the lack of pressure up-front.

Question is.....does our high priced DEs worth the money they're asking? We gave Grant $64mil contract....is W Smith worth more than that? And still need a speed rusher, cause none of them are generating enough pressure?!

This is the question Loomis needs to answer this offseason......does he retains both of our DEs, or he might deal W Smith away, and spend the money on a CB, or LB? Right now we could get either a great CB, or a great LB for the price W Smith wants, so Loomis has to make a choice......

In almost every tread which discusses the Saints #1 problem....deals with the pressure on the opposing QB. Right now everybody agrees that we don't have the ability to rush the passer consistently.....but everybody who wants to retain our high priced run stopping DEs, so they're advocating for a speed rusher to contemplate the lack of pressure up-front.

Question is.....does our high priced DEs worth the money they're asking? We gave Grant $64mil contract....is W Smith worth more than that? And still need a speed rusher, cause none of them are generating enough pressure?!

This is the question Loomis needs to answer this offseason......does he retains both of our DEs, or he might deal W Smith away, and spend the money on a CB, or LB? Right now we could get either a great CB, or a great LB for the price W Smith wants, so Loomis has to make a choice......

He already answered your question when he hired Orgeron.. seeing that Grant is already signed and Smith still has tremendous upside, i doubt Loomis lets either one go..

birdog,
Much better words than me. This is what I was trying to convey and couldn't do so effectively. I think we could get another DE but not necessarily of Will Smith's quality. We have to upgrade to a Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis or someone elite (and in their prime too) like John Henderson, Marcus Stroud etc right in the middle before Grant or Smith is effective.

If that was the strategy then we already blew it last year when we paid off Grant -- we should have let him go and kept the upside of Will Smith and used the money we gave Grant to get the big LB or CB with the money. Of course this is just my opinion but with that in mind (paying Grant) I do not see Loomis getting rid of Smith ==

Some of you are echoing my view point.

First I would not have resigned Grant. He is a run stopping DE, but I do not think you give top dollar to a guy that isn't a difference maker. Charles has need to drop weight for the last couple of seasons. He rode into the draft with a lot of hype, but wasn't most of his sack in his senior year in college against one team (Auburn?).

However now that you paid Grant you have to pay out of the nose for Smith if you want to keep him. Smith has gotten fat as well. He does not have the burst off the ball like he did in college. We basically have two block eating DEs with one that as decent pass rush skills. It reminds me of Jax's ends.

I am not opposed to trading Smith. He may have the most talent on our D, but he has not been the presence that many thought he would be coming out of college. IMO if your job performance is suffering because you cannot keep your weight down then I would question your dedication to your profession. Get in shape and give 100%...

And then draft a DE obtained with the pick in this trade? If we draft a DT in the 1st standing besides Hollis, Kendrick, Antwan, Mckinley I suspect Coach O might feel he is expendable...I just don't like a lot invested in the DE's and I suspect Coach Orgeron might be able to draft a good DE.

Or is Will Smith too invaluable to be let go?

So your saying trade our best DE for a pick and with that pick select another DE to replace the one we just traded? Wouldn't that just put us back to square one?

And then draft a DE obtained with the pick in this trade? If we draft a DT in the 1st standing besides Hollis, Kendrick, Antwan, Mckinley I suspect Coach O might feel he is expendable...I just don't like a lot invested in the DE's and I suspect Coach Orgeron might be able to draft a good DE.

Or is Will Smith too invaluable to be let go?

Depends on what we get in return for the trade. If we could get a top tier corner for him, I'd be fine with that. I have more confidence in us replacing smith with an average DE than I do in us getting a dependable corner.

You never trade away the best player on your defense. Smith is a proven NFL DE and you never deal that for a rookie or a pick.

The only way that you even think about it is if you don't think that you will able to resign him.

Our D-line is good.... we just need someone to bring pressure up the middle so our ends can get to the qb

My thoughts as well. I can't count the number of times this past season that Grant and Smith were pushing the tackles back around the ends, only to have the QB step into a gaping hole up the middle and complete a pass. Pressure up the middle is exactly what's been missing. We need a Haynesworth, Henderson, et. al. rather than another DE...and besides, Will Smith has about the most fire and attitude of anyone on our defense....it'd be a real shame to see him let go.

I think our D-line is fine as is, unless of course we can get Ellis or Dorsey. I think the addition of coach O is going to make them a lot better this year and if we can't get a big name DT in the draft or free agency I think we'll be fine with some good young guys for depth.

OK.....here's the upside, & downside for keeping Will Smith,,,upside:

Will Smith is a pretty good run stuffing DE! Yes, I'm mindful of not generating enough rush on passing downs....but if we don't have run stopping abilities, then teams will run on us all day! Not too long ago we couldn't stop the run, nor the pass.....by having Smith & Grant, two slower DEs.....we are able to stop the run on some occasions. Our run stopping abilities are not our main problem anyway....

downside.....we need more heat from our DEs...and neither Smith, nor Grant is fast enough....so we need to bring in a speed rusher.

I'm fine with that idea, but I'm not fine with paying Smith $70mil contract......I really don't think he is worth that much! I agree...Grant wasn't worth that much either.....but we decided to pay him, which means he's ours for at least 3 more years! And trust me...Loomis better cough up the money, or Will is walking! So this is where the rubber meets the road....if we decide to trade Will, we better start sending out feelers now, but if we decide to keep him, then we better start looking for a speed rusher somewhere.....and then try to justify why we have $130mil invested in 2 slow DEs, who can't rush the passer!

In case we trade Will, we could use the money to land either Briggs, or Asante Samuels. Right now, maybe....just maybe.... it would certainly look better to justify that kind of investment....

Will Smith does put a lot of pressure on the QB, it's just hard to get a sack when the QB in able to step up in the pocket. Our DT's are not even average, they are horrible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom