Is it possible in free agency (1 Viewer)

Louisibama

whodat?????we dat!!!!!
Reaction score
Stephone Gilmore and Zack brown or
Dante hightower and logan Ryan
I'm thinking some kind of way the deal could be lighter if we negotiate 2 players off of the same team but if we get 2 of these 4 players I would be ok. Can we afford this senario

We can pretty much afford whatever we want, our guys are great with massaging the cap. The issue is how much do we want to mortgage future years to make 2017 happen? We're just clearing several years of incredible bad luck with injuries (ex: Byrd) and bad contracts (ex: Galette, Graham) off the books. We can probably comfortably sign Fairley, even at what he's asking, and go get one big name and not have it be a burden in 2018 and beyond if it doesn't work out. I can see us taking one big swing and being prudent with other signings; I don't think we're one of the teams that will go get 3 or 4 megastars on the first day of free agency (see: Cleveland, probably, because they have to spend money). But we could sign a guy out of the blue like we did with Byrd, only hopefully it works out this time.

If we wanted two of those four players, we could get them, but it would certainly affect our other potential moves (resigning Fairley, etc). And there is no bargain to be had by signing two free agents from the same team. The scenario you're talking about only works in a trade (but financially still the same).

After the Byrd release we should have around 36mil to work with for this year. I see us giving Fairley the money Byrd would of received if he was playing for us this year. So that may still leave us with 27-29mil.

I'd like to see them get Duron Harmon and Logan Ryan. They have been playing in the same backfield together since college.

If the Saints could land Zach Brown it would be great. He shows the mental aptitude to pick up schemes well and still play football rather than having to think about what he needs to do or where he needs to be.

This would allow Robertson to move back to WLB strengthening the WLB position as Ellerbe can't stay on the field due to health problems. When he is healthy it is a plus. If Foster is there at 11 I think he has to be the pick.

At the secondary position, with Byrd's cutting and Payton's statements I'd expect a young safety to be drafted with CB being a position to target in FA:

Buoye and Gilmore would be my focus as Gilmore plays better man than zone and this team likes to play man when the right folks are healthy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom