Is it possible? (1 Viewer)

SaintKenn

Wait till next year?
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wanting to get a new PC gaming rig for around the $500 mark. I've been out of PC gaming for a few years now and I'm itching to get back into a new MMO and need a rig capable of running it at a good rate. I know 500 isn't much but I've been looking on ebay and seen some machine with what I think are good specs in that range. Anyone have suggestions?

You should be able to get something that can handle an MMO at least at medium settings (without a monitor), but it probably won't stay relevant for more than a year or two without upgrades.

What MMO in particular are you looking to play?

Having recently upgraded both CPU/motherboard and graphics card, I'd say whatever you do as your base, go Intel. My two systems before that aimed to save money on the CPU and spend more on the GPU. Seems that for actual play and frame rate and whatnot, the CPU is far more likely to become the bottleneck at low prices. I'd find it hard to put something together for less that 800, especially if you aren't reusing a lot of drives and your monitors.

the CPU is far more likely to become the bottleneck at low prices. I'd find it hard to put something together for less that 800.

Very well said! I plan on assembling a new rig in the near future and currently I'm looking at a $1500 budget. I build my rigs to at least allow for 2 OS and 2 GPU upgrades in a 4 year life span. My current E6700 build just rolled over 6 fairly worry free years on the original OS install ... :9:

Very well said! I plan on assembling a new rig in the near future and currently I'm looking at a $1500 budget. I build my rigs to at least allow for 2 OS and 2 GPU upgrades in a 4 year life span. My current E6700 build just rolled over 6 fairly worry free years on the original OS install ... :9:

I have a machine in that series (a couple of iterations earlier) and it's still going strong. That's a good architecture. I built an i7 not too long ago, because I wanted a high end gaming rig, but that Core2 can still handle my day to day chores easily.

I have a machine in that series (a couple of iterations earlier) and it's still going strong. That's a good architecture. I built an i7 not too long ago, because I wanted a high end gaming rig, but that Core2 can still handle my day to day chores easily.

Yep I certainly won't be trashing this rig as I've done others. Its handles Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 4 quite well and that's the biggest programs I use mostly. Looking forward to the new Intel i7 architecture, 16 gigs RAM and SSD drives ... :mwink:

I've been looking on ebay and have found some in the $400-600 range that seem to look good. I've just been so far out of the loop on pc building. The last machine I bult was an FX55 machine. I still have pieces of it laying around and I bought another machine a few years back and have pieces of it around too. I have 3 hard drives that I could throw in it and a 750 watt power supply. No monitors or anything needed.

watch the newegg shell shocker deals.. get on their email list,
about once a week, that have a 300 ish bundle, drop 200 for a nvidia 660, and you're almost set.

That graphics card probably isn't going to do much more than an onboard :( The rest not so bad.

What's your timeline for having more funds available? If you know you'll have more soon, might be best to wait, or maybe put up with craptastic, and I mean craptastic video from onboard or $50-60 card like that for a month or two, then even if a $200-$250 card isn't fantastic, it'll look totally awesome by comparison :) I've gone that route before, back around when the GTX 480s were dropping into that price range, I'd run on IGA for a few months before, getting solid but cheap stuff. Bad news is over the following two years led to 2k more in second system and upgrades, but love it. Made up for it by cutting the cord / satellite dish. Who needs TV anymore?

I'd be tempted to save a little on the CPU with a bit lesser i5 and get a slightly better GPU. Either way that's a great platform there. I just built a z77, 3570k, trade on 7770 system. It is actually in mitx format and fits in my television cabinet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom