Is it really fixed? To quote Bugs Bunny... (1 Viewer)

But you have no proof. You have theories that can easily be shot down.
Just that the NFL legally claims to be an entertainment organization NOT a sport league.

I said I had no proof just smoke surrounding an unethical organization.

This is nothing new. Back in the sixties when I was a kid a friend’s grandfather told us the the NFL was fixed.

Most NFL games are close enough that ending or extending a drive or two can change the outcome.

When it happens it’s most likely incompetence but ….. unethical organization

Just that the NFL legally claims to be an entertainment organization NOT a sport league.

I said I had no proof just smoke surrounding an unethical organization.

This is nothing new. Back in the sixties when I was a kid a friend’s grandfather told us the the NFL was fixed.

Most NFL games are close enough that ending or extending a drive or two can change the outcome.

When it happens it’s most likely incompetence but ….. unethical organization
So because a friend’s grandfather said it decades ago, that is proof of some League wide conspiracy?

Then why this specific small market team?

The NFL was blackmailed into putting a team in NO by Senator Long. It was a condition of the league getting a monopoly exemption.
The league never forgets.
They allowed the Katrina SB but never again if they can help it.
Damn bro, you went way back. Lol.

I don’t believe it’s true, but that story would make one helluva movie.

Kevin James can play Sean again

Fat Russell Crowe can play Russell Long

Kevin Spacey can play Roger Goodell

Well the Packers have had three decades of nothingness.
The Cowboys are mediocre for nearly three decades.
Miami has gone nearly five decades without a championship.
One NY team hasn’t won since the late 60s.
Up until ‘17, the Eagles didn’t win any Super Bowls.
Washington continues to be a dumpster fire.
My point is every team has had their share of that. You're making my point for me, so :shrug:. I was saying name one team who hasn't had their share of futility.

My point is every team has had their share of that. You're making my point for me, so :shrug:. I was saying name one team who hasn't had their share of futility.
But the Packers had an historic stretch of futility.
If the League was fixing games, they wouldn’t let the Packers go that long.

But the Packers had an historic stretch of futility.
If the League was fixing games, they wouldn’t let the Packers go that long.
Never said the league fixes games. Influences? Undoubtedly. The NFL has their favorites and they aren't always the same teams. Teams go through owners, front offices and personalities, so it could be flavor of the week or year or decade, but it's clear they do what suit them without being overtly obvious about it unless it's unavoidable.

Not thirty years worth. The League wouldn’t want a “storied franchise” to suffer that long!
Dude.

For the last time, it's not about who they're helping. It's about who gets train-wrecked while they drive on by grinning.

In the NFCCG, it was obvious, and I had non-Saints friends shaking their heads with me. One of my Eagles fan buddies texted me this: "Hope Mr. Kroenke is happy now."

Once Payton called out the refs, it was a done deal.

Go back and read Jim Bouton's Ball Four (a seminal book about American sports).

Refs overdose on vengeance and long memories.

In our case, for a long time, the refs have just kept the flags in their back pockets when our opponents **** up. Look at the numbers.

At this point, the Rams have their Lombardi and the new LA fan base has been appeased and Mr. Kroenke is happy.

It's not a "conspiracy." It's just a code red, and we're Private Santiago, and I can assure you there will be no charges for Col. Jessup.

Of course they were mad. We saw how they responded to that rule change. They outright refused to overturn the vast majority of challenged PIs (though I believe we did get one overturned against us) even when they were egregiously wrong calls on replay. In just about any other job if you just refuse to do your job by the procedures given you’d be reprimanded and eventually outright fired if it continues. Instead the league just got rid of the rule and let the refs carry on being trash.
How this played out should make it absolutely clear this is a league problem, not an individual referee problem. The NFL controls how the game is officiated and the NFL gave the competition committee a giant middle finger the year after they succeeded in allowing PIs (or lack thereof) to be reviewable. The protest from the NFL head office was so obvious, the competition committee gave no fight when the rule change was removed a season later. That was a power move from the NFL to let the coaches (and owners) know who calls the shots.

There is a reason the NFL refuses to make officiating more objective. Further than that, there is a reason the NFL takes gradual steps year after year to make officiating MORE subjective. If not for achieving desired outcomes, why else?

Damn bro, you went way back. Lol.

I don’t believe it’s true, but that story would make one helluva movie.

Kevin James can play Sean again

Fat Russell Crowe can play Russell Long

Kevin Spacey can play Roger Goodell
The first sentence is absolutely true.

They surely wouldn't fix games for TV ratings either. I mean we only talking about billions of dollars. It's entertainment.
But the ratings are consistent no matter the teams.
Even a Jaguars/Browns game on SNF would be the highest rated program of the week.

But the ratings are consistent no matter the teams.
Even a Jaguars/Browns game on SNF would be the highest rated program of the week.
Lol, you're comparing the NFL to other programming? Nah, you have to compare ratings among games. The Bucs Chiefs is gonna get far more eyeballs watching than a Jags/Browns matchup.

Lol, you're comparing the NFL to other programming? Nah, you have to compare ratings among games. The Bucs Chiefs is gonna get far more eyeballs watching than a Jags/Browns matchup.
75 of the top 100 games were NFL games. Take out the playoff games there is only a difference of about 5 million. There is a difference, but nothing to cause an alarm like a price drop for ads.

And it is comparable to compare NFL games against other shows and not to itself because they are fighting them for ad dollars.

https://sportsbusinessjournal.com/Journal/Issues/2022/01/10/Upfront/Ratings.aspx

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom