Is it safe to say that the Lions game makes or breaks our season? (1 Viewer)

Dr. Sting

Veteran
Reaction score
It feels like it to me. If we lose this game, I'm scared we may be done. I know it's still really early, but this team just feels "off." This feels like those infamous seasons where we would get off to a 0-3 or 1-3 start and never catch the competition. We cannot lose to the Lions!!! We need to do whatever it takes to get the win.

To be clear, I am basing my concern on the stated team goal, "Super Bowl or bust." Maybe they still eek into the playoffs at 8-8 since they have been expanded to 7 teams per conference. It's just when the Saints start slow, they tend to spiral. Not many 1-3 teams make it to the big dance.

ehh... until we are eliminated from playoff contention then the season isn't over. At the same time, I am sad to say but the Saints appear to be perfectionist. Everything has be just right. I've noticed the body language on Payton in the 3rd and early 4th quarter when he realizes the team didn't execute his game plan. He doesn't really do anything to rejuivnate the team. Instead, he's already thinking about things that need to be fixed for the next week. The Saints are missing the killer instict and desire to overcome obstacles within a game to win. Same thing happened in the Vikings game in the playoffs last year. Warlord was getting beat so bad and they didn't have the wearwithall to replace him during the game. They had to wait for after the season to cut him....this basic lack of awareness on Payton and teams account.

I say it is pretty much a "must win" based on how our struggles have been in the past when we start out 1-3/0-4. We spend the season chasing to get to .500 only to run out of steam and wind up being 7-9! Sound familiar?

Yes it is because if we go 1-3 then we likely only get to .500 at best followed by a loss like in previous 8-8 or 7-9 seasons. Unless we get everyone healthy and go on a big undefeated run all the way to the SB. Now if we go 1-4 then our goose is cooked. Might as well tank and let Winston and Hill play to gain live experience in the offense at QB.

I created a thread about this....

Since 2009, when they beat the Lions ... they are a playoff team who wins at least one game. When they lose to the Lions, it is one of those 7-9 non-playoff seasons.

This isn't really about how good or bad someone perceives the Lions to be right now..... It's about a team who, if they are truly capable of winning a Super Bowl, will not lose a third straight game this early in the season.

What about a superbowl berth? I don't think we match up well with any top AFC team.
I dont think any NFC team matches up well with Kansas City. If Kansas City beats NE then i don't see any team stopping KC from getting to the SUPERBOWL.

This feels like the 2017 season. For the first time since week 3 of that season I'm hoping for a win. Last week was the first time in two years that I thought N.O (road Baltimore) might lose a game.

In the technical sense, it's possible to come back from 1-3, especially looking at the NFC South. It would still be very difficult, though, and require some sort of miraculous turnaround. I think in order to build some confidence, we must win this game. Three straight losses might crush whatever confidence we have left. Plus, it's just no good to get so far behind this early and have to play catch up the rest of the season. So, to me, it's a must-win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom