Is Jameis Ready? (1 Viewer)

Conspiracy theory....

SP didnt start Winston while drew was out so he couldn't drive up his own price tag for 2021, like teddy did in 2019

Honestly, and I know this seems ridiculous, I'd have little issue with Jameis starting here if he'd just stop putting his hands, in the shape of a W, in his mouth. It irritates me SOOOO bad!

EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

My concern is look at Tampa. Almost the same exact team as he had, but way more successful nowthat they've replaced him. But I believe in SP way more than Arians. If anyone can tap his potential, its SP
Not the same team. No run game for years after Muscle Hamster left. Jameis didn't have the benefit of a bruiser like Fournette or a HOF tight end. But yeah, anyone who doesn't think Winston can't improve under Payton is selling Payton short as a QB whisperer. And that goes for Taysom as well, whose biggest stumbling blocks are fumbles and reading coverages, and I think those can both be cleaned up. Long story short, if we re-sign Jameis, we have two QBs with very different skill sets who are both serious threats in different ways.

Problem with Winston is that I am sure he looks great in practice. Talent has never been the issue with him. My issue with Winston is that time and time again in Tampa he seemed to crack under pressure when the lights are on. Maybe it will change here. We'll see.
Sean Payton won't put up with the Jameis Winston that existed in Tampa. If he hasn't improved on the attributes that caused him to throw so many INTs, Sean will draft a QB, trade for one or start Taysom instead.

Not the same team. No run game for years after Muscle Hamster left. Jameis didn't have the benefit of a bruiser like Fournette or a HOF tight end. But yeah, anyone who doesn't think Winston can't improve under Payton is selling Payton short as a QB whisperer. And that goes for Taysom as well, whose biggest stumbling blocks are fumbles and reading coverages, and I think those can both be cleaned up. Long story short, if we re-sign Jameis, we have two QBs with very different skill sets who are both serious threats in different ways.
Agree on run game. Gronk no longer at a HoF level tho. Maybe not the same exact team, but if Winston stays in TB and they sign Gronk, Fournette, and draft that oline rookie...do they still even make the playoffs? Does Winston still throw 30 interceptions? I agree, give him a shot. Im just not a believer

Arians' system is a proven QB-killer in the first season. Not the best idea to run a slow, long-developing game behind a haphazard O-line. Look at what happened to the Bucs when Arians listened to Brady and they ran more max protect. Even our guys couldn't get home against them at all in the playoff game after brutalizing Tom in the regular season games.

Arians' system is a proven QB-killer in the first season. Not the best idea to run a slow, long-developing game behind a haphazard O-line. Look at what happened to the Bucs when Arians listened to Brady and they ran more max protect. Even our guys couldn't get home against them at all in the playoff game after brutalizing Tom in the regular season games.

Yeah, looks like the best coach on TB is Brady.

Yeah, looks like the best coach on TB is Brady.
I will never understand why Arians is so vaunted. Every QB he's coached has had their highest-interception season in their first year in his system. And his system leads to gaudy numbers with no hardware to show for it. He's not a total incompetent like Adam Gase, but he's not the offensive mastermind the media pretends he is.

Peyton will surely get him ready. I hope he doesn’t wind up like Jason Davis.
Payton's one glaring weakness has been his loyalty. He kept his staff the same for entirely too long and they couldn't evaluate their way out of a wet paper bag. Jason David, Jairus Byrd, Brandon Browner...ugh.

I will never understand why Arians is so vaunted. Every QB he's coached has had their highest-interception season in their first year in his system. And his system leads to gaudy numbers with no hardware to show for it. He's not a total incompetent like Adam Gase, but he's not the offensive mastermind the media pretends he is.

Agreed.

So Winston has only had Dirk Koetter and Bruce Arians as his HCs in the NFL before signing with the Saints. I'd put my money on Coach Sean Payton getting him to reach his full potential over those two guys.

Payton's one glaring weakness has been his loyalty. He kept his staff the same for entirely too long and they couldn't evaluate their way out of a wet paper bag. Jason David, Jairus Byrd, Brandon Browner...ugh.

If my coaches biggest weakness is loyalty, I'll take that every day of the week. He's did a better job of surrounding himself with guys like Ireland who have helped build and not been detrimental to the team with talent evaluation.

Not to mention Tampa actually has a running game to speak of now with Jones and Fournette.

Jameis had nothing the last four years since Doug Martin in 2015.

JW never had much of a run game, even this year it's been poor most of the time up until the postseason. JW also never had an elite defense, and at times they were awful, and just as likely to put the team in a hole as he was. He did have good WRs and TEs, and good pass blocking generally, and that allowed the team to post top-5 NFL yardage stats consistently, he would negate that with giveaways or the offense would negate with penalties. One game, the team put up 500+ yards and only 3 points, a quite bizarre NFL record.

He did have offensive-minded HCs around him, and schemes that allowed him a fair amount of success in the passing game. I might be wrong, but I don't think any other team had more pass yards in the NFL from 2017-19, total of 15K, but that stat is mitigated by the fact that the Bucs threw a lot (from necessity) and wasted a lot of good drives.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom