Is Jrue Holiday about to be overpaid? (1 Viewer)

Domefan504

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Demps about to overpay another player?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Imagine a world where Jrue Holiday, not Drew Brees, Anthony Davis, or DeMarcus Cousins, is the highest paid professional athlete in NOLA.</p>&mdash; David Fisher (@DavidFisherTBW) <a href="https://twitter.com/DavidFisherTBW/status/880821366022447105">June 30, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's all about timing. Jrue is in the right place at the right time and he's gonna get paid for it. We don't really have another choice right now. Unless they can definitely bring in a veteran guard, we have to pay the man.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's all about timing. Jrue is in the right place at the right time and he's gonna get paid for it. We don't really have another choice right now. Unless they can definitely bring in a veteran guard, we have to pay the man.

Not the max. Haven't they learn from the Gordon max deal, and the Asik max deal? $30 million is a lot if that is what the contract is! Demps in that final year of his contract and he is going all in but if it backfires again? Hoping Jrue keeps it down so we can use the money for other players.

Exactly. It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. Pretty similar to the Eric Gordon situation a few years ago. Jrue is not worth a max contract, but due to the landscape of the NBA, it may be the best we can do.

A pretty good explanation I just found,

https://www.thebirdwrites.com/2017/...leans-pelicans-salary-cap-primer-jrue-holiday

If Jrue Holiday does agree to a contract with New Orleans, it is very likely the Pelicans will operate above the salary cap. This means they will have bird rights to Dante Cunningham (and Donatas Motiejunas though I doubt he is staying in NOLA), the mid-level exception (up to 4 years, $36.1 million and abbreviated MLE), the bi-annual exception (up to 2 years, $6.7 million - abbreviated BAE), and minimum contract exceptions remaining. Both the MLE and BAE can be divided between multiple players.

Minimum contracts increased dramatically from $543k last season for a rookie to $815k in the new NBA CBA and the Pelicans will likely sign second round draft pick Frank Jackson with a minimum exception. An alternative would be to portion off a piece of either the BAE (2 year maximum) or the MLE (4 year maximum) for Frank Jackson. The 30th pick, Josh Hart, will start at $1.1 million on his mandated first round rookie deal for a point of reference.

If Jrue Holiday elects to sign elsewhere, the Pelicans have two options. Dip below the salary cap and operate as a room team or hope they can work out a sign-and-trade with Jrue&#8217;s preferred destination to remain above the cap and maintain their exception. If they go below the cap and renounce all three free agents and two trade exceptions, New Orleans will have a little over $12 million in space to work the free agent market.

The Pelicans can create more space by trading away other current players. Omer Asik, Alexis Ajinca, and Quincy Pondexter are the most likely candidates here. Waiving and stretching the remainder of Asik&#8217;s contract provides nearly $7 million in cap space and $3.5 million in dead money for the next seven seasons. Dell Demps could get creative and scratch out a lot of cap room but at the cost of future assets (trying to move Asik and Ajinca) and/or depth (instead focusing on trading away E&#8217;Twaun Moore or Solomon Hill).

However, a sign-and-trade might return Jrue Holiday&#8217;s replacement. If Holiday is interested in the Minnesota Timberwolves, who signed him to a 4 year $111 million contract in Nate Duncan&#8217;s Mock Off-season (still time to listen!), then possibly Ricky Rubio could find his way to the Crescent City. Alternatively, if a player is not in the return the Pelicans could net a massive trade exception. I&#8217;m skeptical on the sign-and-trade front for New Orleans. Possible? Absolutely. Likely? Why would other teams help the Pelicans out unnecessarily?

Since Jrue Holiday&#8217;s meeting is scheduled when it is and all of the reporting in recent days leaning heavily to his market shrinking, I expect him to re-sign quickly. The dollar amount is going to be big, probably too big considering Nico Bagiuo&#8217;s assessment of Holiday&#8217;s value back in March. Five Thirty Eight&#8217;s CARMELO estimates Holiday&#8217;s value at $87 million over the next five years, or an annual value of about $17.5 million. Don&#8217;t be shocked if Jrue&#8217;s contract is five to seven million more than that per year.

After that signing, Jrue&#8217;s brother Justin is likely on the docket. He too is in line for a substantial overpay. At that point the luxury tax may come into play for the Pelicans. Is Tom Benson capable of paying it? Sure. Willing? Pump the brakes. If the team was coming off a playoff berth behind Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins, it would be far more certain. Should the luxury tax be a hindrance, expect Dante Cunningham to sign elsewhere.

Possibly the most exciting two weeks of NBA news is upon us: First free agency, and then before you know it, Cheick Diallo is going to be lighting it up in Las Vegas. Jrue and Justin might get overpaid, but an alternative where the Pelicans are starting a G-League worthy point guard could be worse and result in Cousins bolting next July. There are worse outcomes than being a capped out team with a 50-win ceiling. Don&#8217;t forget too quickly the last seven years of rooting for this franchise.

Not the max. Haven't they learn from the Gordon max deal, and the Asik max deal? $30 million is a lot if that is what the contract is! Demps in that final year of his contract and he is going all in but if it backfires again? Hoping Jrue keeps it down so we can use the money for other players.
What's the other option? Let Jrue walk, struggle, and then be forced to trade Boogie at the deadline or risk him walking and in a few years AD leaves. If we don't have some success THIS year, we're in serious trouble. Our hands are tied. With that said, I don't think we offer Jrue the max and I think he stays. Lost in a lot of this is Jrue's true value. He's the best on the ball defender in the league at the point guard position and with shot blockers behind him he's even more aggressive defensively.

What's the other option? Let Jrue walk, struggle, and then be forced to trade Boogie at the deadline or risk him walking and in a few years AD leaves. If we don't have some success THIS year, we're in serious trouble. Our hands are tied. With that said, I don't think we offer Jrue the max and I think he stays. Lost in a lot of this is Jrue's true value. He's the best on the ball defender in the league at the point guard position and with shot blockers behind him he's even more aggressive defensively.

5 years 170 million being reported. Now how you going to pay Cousins extension which I would assume they will want to get this done soon rather than linger till next year.

5 years 170 million being reported. Now how you going to pay Cousins extension which I would assume they will want to get this done soon rather than linger till next year.

That is not being reported as happening. It was a Sportcenter post simply stating that is the maximum offer that the Pels can make. I'm thinking it will be more like 5 years for 130-140 million. Still a major overpay, but not as bad as the 170.

That is not being reported as happening. It was a Sportcenter post simply stating that is the maximum offer that the Pels can make. I'm thinking it will be more like 5 years for 130-140 million. Still a major overpay, but not as bad as the 170.

That's the exact range I think he'll get.

Demps about to overpay another player?

Imagine a world where Jrue Holiday, not Drew Brees, Anthony Davis, or DeMarcus Cousins, is the highest paid professional athlete in NOLA.
— David Fisher (@DavidFisherTBW) June 30, 2017
<SCRIPT charset=utf-8 src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" async></SCRIPT>
Its the NBA everybody gets over paid they said JJ Reddick will most likely get between 16-18 million a year from 76ers or the Nets

"It's less than I feared. More than I wanted."

-Eman 5805(Pelicans Report)

That is pretty much how I feel. Now much do you pay Cousins? Is there a buyer for Asik's contract?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom