Is March Richt's seat cold, warm or hot? (1 Viewer)

That's what he said afterward, once he had time to reflect and move on. From what I remember, he had a somewhat different tone when it all went down.

I don't have a problem with him lobbying for his team. But he had ZERO reason to do so IMO. Not only did UGA not win their conference, they didn't even win their division. How can you be worthy of the national championship when you weren't even worthy for your conference championship GAME? Of course, I was also against Oklahoma going in 2003 because they lost to Kansas St. in their conference championship. I just don't see how you can be the national champ when you're not even a conference champ. That's like losing in a tournament and then moving to the next round anyway.

I generally agree. I just don't have a problem -- as a Georgia fan -- having my coach make the argument. And that's really the point of my post.

From my perspective his seat is not warm, but it is warming up - if that makes sense. If the season takes a downturn from this point on (ie a loss to Tennessee) then he comes under pressure to make some changes in his staff. Their big games are still out there - Auburn, Florida, and Tech. Go 1-2 or 0-3 in those games, and the seat gets hot.

I just hope we hang with UF. No 30-point blowout like last year. If we lose by 14, I'll consider it a win.

The line is down to seven. If we lose by one or fifty, its a loss in my book. LSU's program is really in trouble if they are looking for moral victories.

Florida does have the better team, but the talent differential between these teams is not great. If Florida wins by 14 I will be very disappointed.

The line is down to seven. If we lose by one or fifty, its a loss in my book. LSU's program is really in trouble if they are looking for moral victories.

Florida does have the better team, but the talent differential between these teams is not great. If Florida wins by 14 I will be very disappointed.

This is the only game I would accept a moral victory in. UF is just a damn good team and we have an inexperienced OL and QB and in most cases, you need a good QB in college to win big games.

I don't necessarily disagree with your opinion that Richt should be on the hotseat and I certainly agree that his futility against Florida would be the main reason. I just take issue with some of the little digs you included in your reasoning.
Well, to be fair, I wouldn't hold back on my comments against any SEC school :hihi:

Why would UGA fans have a problem with Richt lobbying to have his team play in the national title game? He's the head coach. We expect him to lobby on the team's behalf. FYI, this is what Richt said in retrospect:
I'm not saying UGA fans don't like what Richt is saying. What I'm saying is that UGA fans will point to outside influences (i.e., LSU) for only so long before they turn on their coach. Of course UGA backs up its coach... but that only lasts so long.

UGA had two losses during the 2003 regular season before losing to LSU in the SEC Championship. Even if we had won, we were not going to the national championship game.
Thats kind of my point.

We were much closer in 2002, when UGA, led by Pollack and Greene, went 13-1 to win the SEC and the Sugar Bowl. UGA didn't get to play for a national championship because Miami and Ohio State were undefeated.
Again, thats kind of my point. Always the bridesmaid and never the bride. How long will UGA stand for that?

In total, Richt has won two Sugar Bowls and two SEC Championships, including a 34-14 victory over LSU in 2005. He has the highest all-time winning percentage of any coach in UGA history at 78.8%. His bowl record is 6-2.
I'm not saying Richt isn't good. I think he is an excellent coach. What I'm saying is that fan bases will only stick with a guy for so long unless he starts to live up to their expectations - no matter how out of touch they may be. UGA fans want to beat... no, crush Florida. It's not going to happen consistently. Ergo, Richt will always have to look over his shoulder.

That being said, I'd take him at Rice 8 days out of the week :hihi:

Just think how many big donors put their checkbooks away after each game like this. He can't take many more hits like today.

This is a rebuilding year. We didn't know it at the beginning, but it is evident now. Richt WILL be on the hot seat if he fails to have Georgia back in contention next year. Other posters are right about the "to loyal" especially to seniors. Cox should not be starting, or at least sharing time with Logan Gray or Aaron Murry. Willie Martinez is struggling with only one real play maker on D (Curren), and I don't know if the offensive problem is Cox or Bobo, or a combination of both. Either way, not the best of years to be a Bulldawg. Congrats UT fans on the win.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom