Saints Is Marcus Williams the most underrated safety in the league? (1 Viewer)

SaintSeb

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Deep passes against us rarely connect in large part due to Williams being in position to break up or intercept the pass. As of now he has a cumulative PFF rating of 91.4, which is the highest on the team. I don't have access to PFF but it wouldn't surprise me if he's the highest graded safety in the entire league. Safe to say he's regained form following a sophomore slump.

Unfortunately we rarely hear him talked about outside of Saints beat writers. It's a shame because he's one of the best young playmaking safeties in the league. He will be in for a big extension or new contract if he hits FA in 2021.

I think Vonn Bell is in that discussion.
They actually compliment each other pretty well. My eye test says Vonn Bell is able to play the way he does in part due to Williams ability to play deep with good range and not let plays over his head. Vonn seems to be more of an aggressive turnover-focused big play safety, where as Williams is less aggressive and focused on preventing the big play.

He's easily the most underrated safety in the league. Should be in the conversation for DPOY. The only downside is that he's about to get a huge contract.

At least to my eyes i feel like he is everywhere lately, even my wife a fellow die-hard has made comment that he is always around the ball and making plays. He is for sure been fun to watch this season, but i feel like we rarely get any national conversations for our guys.

He's made a complete 180 degree turn from the start of the season.
Not sure what he or Allen have done, but he went from being the weakest link, to one of the strongest parts of the secondary.

One thing that stood out against the Bucs is when he saved a TD by TACKLING!
He went arms wide, wrapped up and made the tackle.

We desperately needed him to play at a high level and now he is.
Von Bell may be the most underrated part of that secondary though.

Marcus Williams just isn't a national brand name player. He's too vanilla. Didn't get a lot of shine at a blue blood program in college. He made a few All Pac 12 teams but nobody noticed or cared. He doesn't have a cool name. Even his middle name is boring. Marcus Alan Williams, yawn.

He doesn't have crazy hair or anything that sets him apart or makes him standout. He isn't a loud mouth, look at me player. He's like the Colston of DBs. He just shows up and takes care of his business. He has become the player we all hoped he'd be as a rookie.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom