Saints Is Marcus Williams the most underrated safety in the league? (1 Viewer)

Look at Mccoughty and Fitzpatrick stats from Pats/Steelers then look at M.Williams stats .

Clearly one sits above the rest and I believe he’s in Black and Gold it’s sickening how little the people who know football don’t understand football on this board.
Williams is the REASON TEAMS fear us and don’t go deep !!! Say what you want yeah Lattimore and Apple help but they respect Williams and it shows they don’t even throw his way anymore when trying to attack deep

Saints fans don't even like Marcus Williams....now the league has underrated him?.....is this because he took an interception to the house vs the Bucs?
I can't speak for the OP, but I'm including Saints fans in that. I don't know if it's just due to the Minny Miracle, but he seems to get bashed harder than most when he makes a mistake or has a down game. Up until the miracle, he was being looked at in a similar light as Lattimore by many. He has played that way this year and hasn't gotten nearly the same buzz as far as I can tell.

I can't speak for the OP, but I'm including Saints fans in that. I don't know if it's just due to the Minny Miracle, but he seems to get bashed harder than most when he makes a mistake or has a down game. Up until the miracle, he was being looked at in a similar light as Lattimore by many. He has played that way this year and hasn't gotten nearly the same buzz as far as I can tell.

Uh, yeah, it’s b/c of that. That hurt. For a lot of people, including Marcus. I’m not saying it’s right but since it was his mistake he has to prove it 10x, heck maybe 100x more to us, to the pundits, to himself moreover that he can be a great safety in this league. It’s through adversity where we/you see what you’re made of really. He can do it and I’m rooting for him, for sure. He has what it takes.

That's a great PFF rating for Marcus Williams. Kind of surprised Vonn Bell is only a 65.

Marcus Williams was good not great but good until the playoff game vs Minnesota.... he has not been able to make tackles for the last two years.... I think he is cursed or something.... although it seems he gets a gift now an then from a QB like this past Sunday.... not like he went to get the int just thrown 10 yards pass the WR to were Marcus was

Uh, yeah, it’s b/c of that. That hurt. For a lot of people, including Marcus. I’m not saying it’s right but since it was his mistake he has to prove it 10x, heck maybe 100x more to us, to the pundits, to himself moreover that he can be a great safety in this league. It’s through adversity where we/you see what you’re made of really. He can do it and I’m rooting for him, for sure. He has what it takes.
I'd even take it a step further from "he can do it" and say "he is doing it" when it comes to being a great safety. He has been great (if not the best) through 10 games and will continue to be as long as long as he keeps up his current level of play.

Edit:
What's scary is that we have to pay that 2017 draft class very soon. Each one of Ramczyk, Lattimore, Kamara, and Williams can already make a case for being made the highest paid at their position. I really want to keep all four of them if at all possible.

Saints fans don't even like Marcus Williams....now the league has underrated him?.....is this because he took an interception to the house vs the Bucs?
I do know he’s tied for second or third in the league with 4 picks and first place has 5 .

No doubt Marcus is talented, but I expect someone with his talent to play more aggressively and instinctively. He's just not "feeling it". He's still young, and there's plenty of time for him to get there.

I do know he’s tied for second or third in the league with 4 picks and first place has 5 .
The only players with 4+ interceptions:

5 S Micah Hyde
5 S Devin McCourty
4 S Marcus Williams
4 CB Janoris Jenkins

No doubt Marcus is talented, but I expect someone with his talent to play more aggressively and instinctively. He's just not "feeling it". He's still young, and there's plenty of time for him to get there.
Exactly he only just turned 23 imagine in 2-3 more years how good he could be.

Deep passes against us rarely connect in large part due to Williams being in position to break up or intercept the pass. As of now he has a cumulative PFF rating of 91.4, which is the highest on the team. I don't have access to PFF but it wouldn't surprise me if he's the highest graded safety in the entire league. Safe to say he's regained form following a sophomore slump.

Unfortunately we rarely hear him talked about outside of Saints beat writers. It's a shame because he's one of the best young playmaking safeties in the league. He will be in for a big extension or new contract if he hits FA in 2021.
If he was getting interceptions Ed Reed style, they would talk about him a lot. He's on the right path though.

Exactly he only just turned 23 imagine in 2-3 more years how good he could be.
If Williams becomes an even better player than what he has shown in 2019, he will be up there with the all-time greats. Bringing his age into the discussion is what really reminds me that the sky is still the limit for what Williams can be. Marcus Williams in 23 years old this season. Ed Reed was 24 years old his rookie season.

Marcus’ range is video game like. I think he can sometimes be out of position or tackle poorly and people are going to remember that more than playing a solid deep third. He’s a ball hawk in the making.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom