Saints Is Marcus Williams the most underrated safety in the league? (1 Viewer)

If he was getting interceptions Ed Reed style, they would talk about him a lot. He's on the right path though.
In the falcons game I believe there was a pass to Julio where he came out of nowhere and almost had the int , that play really reminded me of Ed

You could argue he is the best safety in the league... for sure in terms of coverage I don't know who is playing better than him right now.

I think Vonn Bell is in that discussion.

Right!

I don't like the fact that Von Bell is a UFA at this end of this season... or Onyemata and Apple for that matter. At least Taysom is an RFA so there is that. But that is for another conversation.

Deep passes against us rarely connect in large part due to Williams being in position to break up or intercept the pass. As of now he has a cumulative PFF rating of 91.4, which is the highest on the team. I don't have access to PFF but it wouldn't surprise me if he's the highest graded safety in the entire league. Safe to say he's regained form following a sophomore slump.

Unfortunately we rarely hear him talked about outside of Saints beat writers. It's a shame because he's one of the best young playmaking safeties in the league. He will be in for a big extension or new contract if he hits FA in 2021.

He’s only underrated on this board.

Marcus Williams just isn't a national brand name player. He's too vanilla. Didn't get a lot of shine at a blue blood program in college. He made a few All Pac 12 teams but nobody noticed or cared. He doesn't have a cool name. Even his middle name is boring. Marcus Alan Williams, yawn.

He doesn't have crazy hair or anything that sets him apart or makes him standout. He isn't a loud mouth, look at me player. He's like the Colston of DBs. He just shows up and takes care of his business. He has become the player we all hoped he'd be as a rookie.
Not helping is the one play people know him for is so prominent in how negative it is for him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom