Is naming nor'easters a recent phenomenon? (1 Viewer)

Well im curious because being a commercial insurance agent, we see plenty of property insurance policies that have "named storm" deductibles. Im not familiar with the NE, but would imagine some have the same language.

If all of a sudden, these storms start getting "named" and a policy holder has this language, he may end up losing on a higher % deductible instead of a flat $ deductible.

But now that you showed NOAA/NWS doesnt recognize, then it should be ok.

I think it's more about marketing and money. They've probably made a deal with Ellen and we'll be hearing her voice doing "Superstorm Nemo brought to you by the Weather Channel" before long.

BCsI3LjCEAAjw9o.jpg:large

I think it makes sense. No dumber than naming hurricanes. DC got hit with two blizzards a few years back and I only remember them as the blizzard during the Saints Super Bowl and the blizzard when a squirrel got in my house. Would be nice to have a point of reference.

I think it makes sense. No dumber than naming hurricanes. DC got hit with two blizzards a few years back and I only remember them as the blizzard during the Saints Super Bowl and the blizzard when a squirrel got in my house. Would be nice to have a point of reference.

I agree. Both can have major impacts on life and property. If it's stupid to name snow systems then it's stupid to name tropical ones as well. For any of us who have lived through our fair share of Nor'easters I can say some of them are weak to moderate and some like this one are no joke. Much like tropical systems.

The problem is they're only doing it to stir up interest/ratings. It's a cynical ploy to mimic the interest they generate during tropical storm season. Also, tropical storms are named partially for ease of tracking purposes for the general public. Nor'easters don't hit the gulf, turn around, head into the Atlantic, reverse course, gain strength, etc. They've got pretty defined paths they're going to take.

Maybe that is the case for people who don't live in area's that are getting these snow storms. Also people should be just as much aware of a major nor'easter or blizzard as they are a major tropical storm. A nor'easter can create a great deal of storm surge, and have hurricane force winds and if you are just new to an area that could be affected by it, you better hope someone tells you that info. And like porculator said it would be nice to have a point of reference when referring to certain storms of the past. And I would also argue the fact that the path of a nor'easter is really defined. During this storm we were told we would get 3-6 inches here, not much because we were on the southern tip of the storm this time....we got maybe a half inch. This because the storm had shifted. True they don't have the long path that a tropical system does but they can still be pretty difficult to track. Also many named tropical systems never even reach land, especially highly populated land. Unlike a nor'easter which is going to be over land I would say about 95% of the time. And over very densely populated areas.

Are insurance claims regarding winter storms categorized by named storms in the same way tropical storms are? I wouldn't be surprised to see insurance companies such things.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Are insurance claims regarding winter storms categorized by named storms in the same way tropical storms are? I wouldn't be surprised to see insurance companies such things.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

That's exactly why I think it's a bad idea to start naming winter storms...the NWS sees no need, so I can only assume that the Weather Channel's motivation is drama and ratings. But I wouldn't be surprised if insurance companies took advantage of it to reduce payouts to people who make claims due to winter storm damage, if the storm was named by TWC. This will hurt those seeking legitimate claims simply because TWC wanted to boost the sensationalism. If the NWS saw a need to name these storms, that would be something different, but they've come out and made a statement that they will NOT recognize these names for winter storms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom