Is Nate Clements joining the Saints next season even remotely realistic? (1 Viewer)

Isn't there a rule out there about approaching a player that is still in the playoff hunt? Or is it that a playoff team cannot approach a player until they are eliminated. I can't remember, someone help me out please.

We have to wait until after FA starts.

Mike McKenzie was a forum darling too and we got him. I wasn't on that bandwagon though. I also wanted Leinart and still wouldn't mind having him but I am more than happy and surprised with the way Brees has played. Especially considering he came to a new team and had to learn a new offense and new teammates, it borders on astonishing. I'll admit that I don't know much about Nate Clements or what type of character he has but at some point I think we need to infuse the CB position with some youth and talent. I hate to see these other teams pick players that Haslett said weren't good enough to make our team doing well on other teams. Also, how many quality players can you afford with the salary cap?

As for FA players wanting to come here, if you look at the talent we have in place on offense and the fact that 3-4 good, quality, talented players could keep us going to the big dance for several years to come, and take into consideration that when players leave other teams, yes they are looking for more money but most are looking to try to win a Super Bowl in their career and some are willing to take a little less money to get that ring.

Mike Hass is/was a forum sweetheart.

There is no way anyone beats out Zach Hilton for forum sweetheart. Grown men had their bags packed and kissed their wife and kids on the cheek with tears streaming down their eyes for a life on the Zach Hilton bandwagon. There was a thread started and people were predicting that he would out do Antonio Gates. One guy even lay down a bet. There were predictions of 800 receiving yards and 12 TDs. Guess what 0 receiving yards, 0 TDs

As for signing Clements, I think it's remote. The whole reason he didn't get close to a deal with Buffalo is because he said he wanted to be paid like a top 3 CB. That's a pretty fair whack (around $5.5m a year). If you don't think there's a market for him just look at what Charles Woodson commanded. I don't think we'll see Clements or Lance Briggs suiting up in a Saints uniform (though I'd like to see both). If they have the money I think Clements will end up a Dolphin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom