Is Nate Clements joining the Saints next season even remotely realistic? (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
I've been seeing his name on alot of peoples wishlists lately... including mine, but I have to ask, is there really a chance we could land him? He's going to demand BIG money in free-agency, and the Saints have a number of needs to address, as well as the re-signing of Charles Grant, Hollis Thomas, and Stinchcomb. Sure, we need another quality CB... that's obvious, but will the Saints throw the BIG BIG dollars at Clements?

Takeo Spikes
Will Witherspoon
Fred Smoot

Do we ever get the player that is the offseason free-agent Super Forum darling?

Takeo Spikes
Will Witherspoon
Fred Smoot

No, we don't (Charles Woodson either). But we made a good solid pitch for Will Witherspoon this past off-season, which suggests that unlike in the past, we may at least give it a shot.

BTW Fred Smoot was a forum darling? How disturbing is that. Shame on the forum

Salary cap wise we should be in great shape-and with the 10 million $$$ increase next year we should be able to sign some key FA's. As long as the newbies are Payton character guys they will be OK by me. Also by winning and making a run to the Super Bowl will only increase chances FA's want to come here. Mant thanks to Drew Brees for starting a revolution!!!

I think its not likely, but I think this team is more likely to make a real attempt than we have in the past.

Takeo Spikes
Will Witherspoon
Fred Smoot

That's exactly what I was thinking about when I started this thread. But it was nice to hear that the Saints were very interested in Witherspoon... He just signed the BIG deal with the Rams first.

So, I guess my real question is... Are we really going to be in the running for Clements?

Takeo Spikes
Will Witherspoon
Fred Smoot

Brees was a Super Forum Darling and when just one guy like that comes here other guys start looking at the whole team differently. Honestly though I have a feeling Samuel or Nickk Harper is more realistic.

Another name we may never get is Donnie. While I like his ability does it concern anyone else that he has been in the 3-4 for a long time? I would really like to see us go after London Fletcher if a Vet MLB is brought in. His stats are actually better and he has played in the 4-3 most of his career

Isn't there a rule out there about approaching a player that is still in the playoff hunt? Or is it that a playoff team cannot approach a player until they are eliminated. I can't remember, someone help me out please.

That's exactly what I was thinking about when I started this thread. But it was nice to hear that the Saints were very interested in Witherspoon... He just signed the BIG deal with the Rams first.

So, I guess my real question is... Are we really going to be in the running for Clements?

I would say yes, we will be in the running. Probably somewhere in the middle of the pack going after him.

Brees was a Super Forum Darling and when just one guy like that comes here other guys start looking at the whole team differently. Honestly though I have a feeling Samuel or Nickk Harper is more realistic.

Another name we may never get is Donnie. While I like his ability does it concern anyone else that he has been in the 3-4 for a long time? I would really like to see us go after London Fletcher if a Vet MLB is brought in. His stats are actually better and he has played in the 4-3 most of his career

Actually Leinart was the darling. I was in the "get an experienced QB" minority, and even in that tiny group most of us thought Brees was a pipe dream.

That's probably accurate. The chances of any team (other then the Redskins) getting any specific player is pretty small. To much competition for players. The chances that the Saints will pay big bucks for A CB? I think pretty good.

Donnie played in a 4-3 most of his career. The San Diego 3-4 is recent. But I don't know that we'll get him, he may price himself out at age 34

Pathon and Dale Carter (???) were forum sweethearts as well.

I think we need a ruling on what constitutes "forum sweetheart". Personnally I feel it goes beyond mere consensous (oh he's a good player, we should get him) and needs that obsessive quality (HAVE WE TRADED FOR DONNIE EDWARDS YET? every third thread) that seems to refuse to ever die.

If we don't get Clements will we be right there for Asante Samuel then?

What are the chances that our starting CBs next are McKenzie and Fred Thomas, with Jason Craft at NB? All three will still be under contract right? Keep those three and hope to draft and develop a good young CB... It didn't work last year with Lay and/or Anwar Phillips, but maybe they'll try it again... Maybe they'll take a CB before the 2nd day.

Actually, much of the board wanted to draft Leinart or Young instead of signing Brees. It was a contraversial decision and I'd hardly call him a "darling". I'm talking about the guys that 99% of the board wants to sign.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom