Is New Orleans a good candidate for Amazon's 2nd headquarters?[did not make cut] (1 Viewer)

It would be a perfect city for Bezos to bring his liberal ideology and cure NOLA of all its ills. The big experiment.

Other than that, there is no chance in hell they open a new hq here. Hell, even our governor can could not remember if Amazon was building a distribution center in our state. Said they were then had to retract his statement. How could you incorrectly remember if they were building a dc here?

Signing out.

*** El Caliente, thanks for sharing that great story.

It would be a perfect city for Bezos to bring his liberal ideology and cure NOLA of all its ills. The big experiment.

Other than that, there is no chance in hell they open a new hq here. Hell, even our governor can could not remember if Amazon was building a distribution center in our state. Said they were then had to retract his statement. How could you incorrectly remember if they were building a dc here?

Signing out.

*** El Caliente, thanks for sharing that great story.

Well look who decided to come amblin back in
Where the heck you been?

I've never been to the city of Northern Virginia, but evidently they have it over NOLA.

Columbus, OH has to be the most interesting to me though. Amazon salaries and a place much more affordable than the other 19 would be a combo to save up cash. Then again I'm old and don't give as much a **** as young Amazon recruits about living where it's cool.

Part of me think's it would be cool to be in Miami, but most of me hates that idea. Too much traffic, as is. Housing is too expensive as is. I don't see this as raising my wages, so it would just hurt.

Depending on what they want out of their second head quarters, I'd assume a better logistical area like Chicago would make sense.

I'm not sure about the next one, but the HQ by the stadium and International District probably draws more bus/train employees than drivers, and SLU sort of the same. I guess it depends on if they go absolute heart of downtown again or go a more Microsoft/Google/Apple route of having a spread out campus instead.

I'm wondering what type of concessions, tax breaks and deals these cities have proposed in order to get on that list. Obviously, it would be great for the local job market in whatever city they land, but at what cost and expense to those cities and tax payers? And would it be worth it in the long run?

I kind of see this like a NFL stadium deal in the way Amazon is going about it. By trying to extract every inch of advantage, tax break and concession that it can from those cities.

I'm not saying it's not worth it for those cities, just curious. My thinking is that with the way this process it being carried out, it's probably less advantageous than people will naturally assume.

I'm wondering what type of concessions, tax breaks and deals these cities have proposed in order to get on that list.
While some of that may happen already, I expect most of that to come at the final choice stage. I'm guessing they break the list down at least one more time to build up the hoopla and pressure.

I think you're right that it's like a stadium and that it's a smart move by them but maybe not so good for the city thing. Still 50,000 new jobs, many of them paying 65k+/year thrown into a city the size of Columbus or Austin or even Nashville could be seismic shifts. Adding 10% or more of the jobs already in the city as new educated professional white collar jobs at middle class through upper middle class can change the way other businesses see the population of the city and how the city sees itself. Obviously for the majority of the cities on the list it'd be more muted, but that's still a lot of high paying jobs and new property and sales tax income even for a big metro area.

I'd feel slightly mad at the very least at watching local government bend over and bribe, but I'd also appreciate that we might be getting more out of it than what we gave up in the extortion deal. Liking Amazon as a company probably wouldn't help me get as mad as I probably should.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom