Is one and done always meaningless? (1 Viewer)

saintsfan342000

The Voice of Reason
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Listening to Dallas sports radio, and reading comments here on other places on the internet, it seems like the vast majority of people feel that the Cowboys one and done playoff performance has rendered the entire season meaningless. I happen to agree with that viewpoint.

My question to the B&G Nation is: How would you have viewed the Saints '06 season had they lost to the Eagles? I remember telling myself before the season started that as long as they beat Atlanta in the Dome opener, and then beat Dallas in December (both of which they did) that I would not complain about anything else that happened that year, so for me a one and done would not have marred they way I thought about the season. So maybe the Dallas fans are knee-jerking and they should take solace in their two regular season victories over the Giants. Any thoughts?

Jeez man, it's a bit different. In 06 the Saints were coming back to the dome after the worst natural disaster in US history took the homes of many of their fans, myself included.

I'll put it this way. Most of the time a 1 and done season is meaningless, like the Colts and Cowboys this year, and if the Saints had done it this year the same. Last year was a huge exception.

my overall belief is anything less than a SB win is a meaningless season; but as of today I do not hold the saints to that. 40 years of failure leads me to be more lenient. Right now anything less than a playoff appearance for the Saints is a failure, but hopefully they get good enough where I think SB or bust is a good season.

Teams like Patriots, Cowboys, and Colts think SB or bust while teams like Saints are just happy to make it to playoffs.

When your Dallas and Indy it does. The media builds these teams up all year long. T.O this, Romo that.

Manning does more commerials than anyone. "The Mind Of Manning"

When they lose after a bye and are bounced out they need be ripped.

Manning does more commerials than anyone. "The Mind Of Manning"

Heh. They should redo that commercial, playoff edition:

"2 seconds until sack"

"Marvin is on the bench, I just almost got Reggie killed"

"1 seconds until sack"

(Halle Berry appears as Storm)

"You know what happens to a toad when it gets hit by lightning?"

"0 seconds.. SACK SACK SACK"

Merriman sacks him.

Mannings mind: "uh oh, speghetti-o's"

Well, you do play to win the SB. I don't think it's as black and white as this though.

The Browns 07 season was not meaningless, nor was the 06 Saints. I would have to say that it's a case by case basis. I might even include the Giants in this too because after last year's melt down and chants of firing Coughlin have fallen to the way side and a "new" team has emerged as a dominant NFC team. Something that you can grow on with or without a SB appearance. I wouldn't concider their team's season meaningless.

Now take teams like Dallas and Indy. Their seasons aren't worth squat anymore after all the potential thrown away with their losses. That would be meaningless season IMO.

Heh. They should redo that commercial, playoff edition:

"2 seconds until sack"

"Marvin is on the bench, I just almost got Reggie killed"

"1 seconds until sack"

(Halle Berry appears as Storm)

"You know what happens to a toad when it gets hit by lightning?"

"0 seconds.. SACK SACK SACK"

Merriman sacks him.

Mannings mind: "uh oh, speghetti-o's"

lol

Well, you do play to win the SB. I don't think it's as black and white as this though.

The Browns 07 season was not meaningless, nor was the 06 Saints. I would have to say that it's a case by case basis. I might even include the Giants in this too because after last year's melt down and chants of firing Coughlin have fallen to the way side and a "new" team has emerged as a dominant NFC team. Something that you can grow on with or without a SB appearance. I wouldn't concider their team's season meaningless.

Now take teams like Dallas and Indy. Their seasons aren't worth squat anymore after all the potential thrown away with their losses. That would be meaningless season IMO.

The Browns should have made the playoffs, the Titans had no right being there but Dungy had to rest his starters, I guess. Funny how the teams that rested their starters (Dallas and Indy) went out and got pwned when the teams that also could have done so (Giants, Pats) are still playing at a high level. At least it saved Romeos job.

The Browns should have made the playoffs, the Titans had no right being there but Dungy had to rest his starters, I guess. Funny how the teams that rested their starters (Dallas and Indy) went out and got pwned when the teams that also could have done so (Giants, Pats) are still playing at a high level. At least it saved Romeos job.

The Browns had a great year, but I have to wonder how far they could have made it. Their D wasn't all that great, but the offense was rolling along. However, the Titans D was very good, yet their offense (more VY than anything) wasn't that good.

Resting guys is a catch 22. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You're right, but let's be honest here. If the Pats were 13-2 or 14-1 at that point, both the Pats and the Giants would have rested their starters.

We rested our starters last year. Brees only played 1 drive against Carolina. We still won our first game.

Colts rested their starters three years ago, didn't effect them.

Resting your starters or not has no impact on the outcome.

And please don't use the word "pwned". That implies 42-10, or 56-0. It's also a term suited for kids in an LD class.

Last edited:
You're right, but let's be honest here. If the Pats were 13-2 or 14-1 at that point, both the Pats and the Giants would have rested their starters.

We rested our starters last year. Brees only played 1 drive against Carolina. We still won our first game.

Colts rested their starters last year, didn't effect them.

Resting your starters or not has no impact on the outcome.

And please don't use the word "pwned". That implies 42-10, or 56-0. It's also a term suited for kids in an LD class.

The Patriots were 13-2 in 2004, locked into the 2 seed, playing the 49ers at home and the starters played until the 4th quarter, so I don't think you're right on that one. Further, the Colts did not rest their starters last year because if they had lost that last game they could have been the #4 seed and potentially had to play in Foxborough. I suggest you get your facts straight instead of giving me advice on word usage.

The Patriots were 13-2 in 2004, locked into the 2 seed, playing the 49ers at home and the starters played until the 4th quarter, so I don't think you're right on that one. Further, the Colts did not rest their starters last year because if they had lost that last game they could have been the #4 seed and potentially had to play in Foxborough. I suggest you get your facts straight instead of giving me advice on word usage.

whoops, I meant three years ago. They won their first playoff game then against Denver after resting their starters.

The point still stands. Resting your starters or not has no impact.

whoops, I meant three years ago. They won their first playoff game then against Denver after resting their starters.

The point still stands. Resting your starters or not has no impact.

You can't prove it either way but the fact remains that the teams who took games off, the Colts, the Cowboys, the Bucs, they all lost their first playoff game whereas the Giants who looked like they were limping in played a tremendous game against the Pats and went on to win their next two games on the road.

depends on previous season, one and done is good if you were a loosing team for a few yrs prior and under a new regime

not so good when you were one and done the year before and have a new coach and has never won a playoff game.

(and depending on if you blame Romo for this yrs lost , like his muffed hold last year - had to throw the cowboy reference)

As far as goals go yes. Well it's not meaningless but if you don't prepare like your gonna be the next SB champ your selling yourself short..

I hope the Pat are dismanteled after they win/or lose this year. Players and coaches!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom