Is one and done always meaningless? (1 Viewer)

You can't prove it either way but the fact remains that the teams who took games off, the Colts, the Cowboys, the Bucs, they all lost their first playoff game whereas the Giants who looked like they were limping in played a tremendous game against the Pats and went on to win their next two games on the road.

And the fact remains that the Saints rested their starters last year and still won their first game. The Bears rested their starts and made it to the Superbowl.

So, last year resting starters didn't matter, this year it looks like it did. Therefore, that proves that it is situational for each team and on the whole doesn't matter. Those are facts.

And the fact remains that the Saints rested their starters last year and still won their first game. The Bears rested their starts and made it to the Superbowl.

So, last year resting starters didn't matter, this year it looks like it did. Therefore, that proves that it is situational for each team and on the whole doesn't matter. Those are facts.

Of course it isn't going to be true 100% of the time, I'd like to see a someone figure out how often a team wins or loses its first playoff game after resting the starters though. I mean my lazy butt isn't going to do it, but it would be interesting.

I'm only 31. That term has been around since I was in my mid-20's. It's a stupid term, I lose respect for the intelligence of anyone who uses it.

FWIW,,, lol, lost respect for peeps that use Internet Acronyms too?

You use any terms like Cool, man, dude, Butts handed to me. etc, etc, etc, etc.

Does it make you intelligent to speak proper english? My answer, NO just makes you look like a pompous Donkey, to "correct" someone else's word selection.

Take a chill pill and quit insulting people's intelligence. Verbage changes with the generation. Daddio.

Last edited:
Does it make you intelligent to speak proper english?

Yes. Call me crazy, but speaking proper English is a sign of intelligence.

If MTV said it was cool to think 2+2=5, would it become intelligent to think so? No.

Just because something exists and is commonplace, doesn't make it intelligent.

If MTV said it was cool to think 2+2=5, would it become intelligent to think so? No.

It's just a slang internet term, relax. I think I use rather proper English in the majority of my posts but if you want to ignore that because of the word "pwned" you're being a tad bit ridiculous.

True, but the point is, do not insult someone just because they do not live up to your standards.

My question to the B&G Nation is: How would you have viewed the Saints '06 season had they lost to the Eagles? Any thoughts?

You have to look at it from a point of view standards. Point is that Dallas is a multiple super bowl winning franchise so One and Done to them is meaningless. Plus they have a dog in each of the major sports.

But for the Saints, who are 8 out of 40 for winning seasons and only been to the playoffs a handful of times, one and done is an acheivement. Whereas last years' #2 seed and trip to the Conference Championship is pretty remarkable by our standards.

Jeez man, it's a bit different. In 06 the Saints were coming back to the dome after the worst natural disaster in US history took the homes of many of their fans, myself included.

I'll put it this way. Most of the time a 1 and done season is meaningless, like the Colts and Cowboys this year, and if the Saints had done it this year the same. Last year was a huge exception.

good post.

Sums it up perfectly.

The cowpokes season must have been really heartbreaking. The thing is, almost anyone that followed football could possibly see that the Cowboys could lose in the first round of the playoffs. Romo just isn't a very good qb, imho. He is ok, but he'll never be a Brees, Farve, Manning, and he'll DEFINITELY never be a Brady(then again, who will?)

That offensive line was very strong this year and it made things pretty easy on Romo. BUT Things are different in the playoffs as there is a lot more pressure on the QB. Romo is just not only a choker, but he's just not a very good qb.

If MTV said it was cool.

Cool? You mean the temprature was cold? What does cold weather have to do with this? Oohhhhhh, you were using slang. Oh I see. Hahaha, I got pwned

As far as the original point goes, Saints fans have ample experience with "one and done". I don't think we've ever come off one of those seasons feeling very satisfied (1987 our first playoff appearance ever maybe?)

2006 however would have been an exception. But 2006 was an exception.

I had to look up what "pwned" meant... I never even heard of it until BNG4877 stated using it... but I don't keep up with the latest slang.

Anyway, being "one-and-done" constituting a failed season is relative... for the Cowboys and that glittering "All Pro" roster and having the best record in the NFC, yeah it's a failure.

For a wildcard team like the Titans, obviously not.

If the Patriots make it to the Super Bowl but lose, is their season a failure? Absolutely. If the Packers or Giants lose to the Patriots in the SB, is their season a failure? Absolutely not.

Expectations determine whether one's season is a failure but a loss in the post season.

I had to look up what "pwned" meant... I never even heard of it until BNG4877 stated using it... but I don't keep up with the latest slang.

I started using it as a joke, similar to my avatar which is an inside joke, and it just sort of stuck. A friend of mine (who by the way has one of the greatest vocabularies and graps on the English language that I've ever seen, and is also the one who would get the joke of the avatar) put "(her name) pwns" on the back of her phone as a joke after I kept saying it jokingly, and it just became a gag after that.

Cool? You mean the temprature was cold? What does cold weather have to do with this? Oohhhhhh, you were using slang. Oh I see. Hahaha, I got pwned

There is slang that is on the surface, and there is slang that degrades society. For example, "cool" is slang, but there is a certain racial n word that is also slang, but using that word degrades, offends, and makes the person who said it sound less intelligent.

Using "pwned" makes some one sound less intelligent in my eyes, and it degrades the person you are saying to to. "Cool" does not degrade someone. Now, before you get your underwear all in a bunch, no I do not think the word "pwn" is on the same level as the previously mentioned racial word. But, they both degrade someone, thus I question the intelligence of using either.

There is slang that is on the surface, and there is slang that degrades society. For example, "cool" is slang, but there is a certain racial n word that is also slang, but using that word degrades, offends, and makes the person who said it sound less intelligent.

Using "pwned" makes some one sound less intelligent in my eyes, and it degrades the person you are saying to to. "Cool" does not degrade someone. Now, before you get your underwear all in a bunch, no I do not think the word "pwn" is on the same level as the previously mentioned racial word. But, they both degrade someone, thus I question the intelligence of using either.

Nah, degrading someone is calling them out for using "stupid" words that don't agree with your world view. Your comparison doesn't even land in the same ball park, as one was used to control a culture while the other is used as a "gotcha B" substituted by a bunch of online gamers. Nothing about saying "poaned" makes your less intelligent, it just gives reference to the level of society you participate in.

Once again taking your lead the pompous "I am better then you" is not needed. No one insulted anyone elses intelligence until you played the "Your way is not good enough" Police.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom