Is OT Ryan Clady an Option at 10? (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This assumes Ellis, Dorsey and Gholston are off the board. Clady may be higher rated than any linebacker or defensive back at 10, plays an impact position where great players are normally not found after the first 12-15 picks of the draft, and might allow us to move Brown to right tackle, his more natural position, strengthening the entire offensive line.

This might be a possibility on draft day.

This assumes Ellis, Dorsey and Gholston are off the board. Clady may be higher rated than any linebacker or defensive back at 10, plays an impact position where great players are normally not found after the first 12-15 picks of the draft, and might allow us to move Brown to right tackle, his more natural position, strengthening the entire offensive line.

It would but i'd be sick.

Not unless we have a productive FA period and get alot of players for the D.

oh my god!!! the draft needs to be in Feb, cause all this time to ponder who to pick makes guy really forget the overall objective....if we cant get the defensive player we want, we trade back to get the "other" defensive player we want.

I think he is a possibility for a RT. But all this talk of Brown moving back to RT is ludicrous there is no way he will allow it unless we pay him LT money...every now and then people talk about moving brown to RT like there is a real possibility of it happening..there isn't. At this point we could probably trade Brown if we think we can upgrade the LT position through the draft but thats about it.

No. Strief can play either side and well.

No, Saints need to go D first and most of the draft.

But how the Saints are, they would probably pull something like this...and take Clady..."BPA".

No, Saints need to go D first and most of the draft.

But how the Saints are, they would probably pull something like this...and take Clady..."BPA".

Your right, and they say "we think we kept are defense intact with the resigning of Simoneau" are biggest concern was cohesiveness blah, blah, blah...

The more I have been thinking about the draft, the more I am thinking that Clady is our most likely pick. Loomis has always drafted BPA regardless of the position and OT is a premium position.

BPA is always the best way to go that would be the right move if he is the BPA. The only other option would be to trade up or down.

This is my point: There may be reasons for not picking Clady. At 10, there may be a comparably rated defensive player whom we like and who fits our needs. Or we may not rate Clady as a top 10 player or question whether he can play left tackle (though this seems his best position).

But if we see him as a top 10 player, if we see him as a top left tackle on the next level, and if we believe the offensive line would be materially impacted by moving Brown back to right tackle, then we would have to consider Clady at 10.

Why? Offensive left tackle is an impact position--and players at that position are hard to find.

And there is the perception of some on this board that nearly any player we pick high on defense will slide easily in a starting slot on day one (like the rhetoric of a presidential candidate, ready on day one). The reasons that teams talk about drafting the best available player is that drafting in any round is hard, that every player drafted regardless of round or slot carries a risk that the teams have quantified of never meeting expectations, and that teams--especially in the first two rounds--want to draft those players who have the greatest probability of meeting expectations and the least risk of being an unsuccessful draft pick.

The Mel Kiper school of thought that if a team needs cornerback, it better pick a cornerback in the first two rounds is wrong. The two non-cornerback players the team otherwise picks may prove better players than the cornerback and in the long run offer much greater value to the team.

Note I am not saying that we should pick Clady. But if we were to pick him and if he were to become a top left tackle in the NFL, the pick would be a superior one.

Last edited:
If we do, than we better be trading Stinchcomb or Strief to get as high of a pick as we can in the second or third round to get a LB or a DT.

This is my point: There may be reasons for not picking Clady. At 10, there may be a comparably rated defensive player whom we like and who fits our needs. Or we may not rate Clady as a top 10 player or question whether he can play left tackle (though this seems his best position).

But if we see him as a top 10 player, if we see him as a top left tackle on the next level, and if we believe the offensive line would be materially impacted by moving Brown back to right tackle, then we would have to consider Clady at 10.

Why? Offensive left tackle is an impact position--and players at that position are hard to find.

And there is the perception of some on this board that nearly any player we pick high on defense will slide easily in a starting slot on day one (like the rhetoric of a presidential candidate, ready on day one). The reasons that teams talk about drafting the best available player is that drafting in any round is hard, that every player drafted regardless of round or slot carries a risk that the teams have quantified of being of never meeting expectations, and that teams--especially in the first two rounds--want to draft thiose players who have the greater probability of meeting expectations and the least risk of being an unsuccessful draft pick.

The Mel Kiper school of thought that a team needs cornerback and as a result it better pick a cornerback in the first two rounds is wrong. The two non-cornerback players the team otherwise picks may prove better players than the cornerback and in the long run offer much greater value to the team.

Note I am not saying that we should pick Clady. But if we were to pick him and he were to become a top left tackle in the NFL, the pick would be a superior one.

Well said. And with teams copying the Giants, DT/DE will be a priority position most teams will want to address.

In my opinion, O-linemen will be a very important position to counter the move to strong D-lines.

The Saints may think Clady is a better LT/RT prospect than any of the DE/DT/LB/CB's left at 10. If they think that, they'll pick Clady and probably should.

I think O-linemen are undervalued right now and in a few years will cost you a fortune. I'm just hoping that we address our needs in free-agency, allowing us to avoid reaching for need.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom