Is our unorthodox decision at kicker coming back to haunt us? (1 Viewer)

St. Geezy

⚜️
Reaction score
After a long kicking competition in training camp and in the preseason, we made the decision to release both of our veterans and sign a rookie undrafted free agent from a small school that looked good in a workout without pads and came with a recommendation from a preseason opponent, Baltimore. At the time, many of us were floored by the decision to go with a rookie that was coming off a mediocre 12 of 19 senior campaign at Georgia State. But at the same time, we had no choice but to put our faith in coach's decision and hope that his track record at kicker had somehow fixed itself.

Yes, I understand the guy is a rookie and we are banking on him fixing his issues with low kicks over time, but here we are, sitting at 4-6, and at least 3 of our losses can be directly attributed to kicking woes.

Week 1 vs. Oakland - We lose by 1 point, and our kicker misses two field goals, albeit one from 60 at the end of a game that many kickers probably can't even attempt. But he also missed one earlier in the contest.

Week 2 at New York Giants - We lose by a field goal in a game in which our defense held the opposing offense to no touchdowns. The game's only touchdown by the Giants came due to a low kick by Lutz being blocked and returned for a score - a field goal attempt of less than 40 yards.

Week 10 vs. Denver - Extra point blocked, can't fault Lutz directly though because the guy was right in his face. But it does make you wonder if, after reviewing tape, if Lutz kicking style was something that gave the Broncos the extra shot of confidence that they could block it. You can clearly see teams are trying harder than normal now to block our field goals. That said, still won't blame him here.

Week 11 vs. Carolina - See Giants game. Another game in which we lost by a field goal and our kicker kicked a ball too low, resulting in a block that was returned for a touchdown (the TD was called back due to penalty, but still led to a TD one play later).

---------------

I had a feeling that this guy only wowed in his "unbelievable" workout because there was no defense or rush he was going up against.

It appears he has a severe issue with kicking trajectory. When you watch other teams' kickers, their kicks all come out high. He kicks line drives, which of course can make you look like you can make 70 yarders, problem is, this could result in an inordinate amount of blocks, which is manifesting itself weekly.

The block last night literally was a defender, a yard behind the LOS, raising his hand up and barely jumping. That is inexcusable for a field goal of less than 40 yards.

Am I expecting this guy to be perfect? No. Am I encouraged that he came through for us and actually hit a game-winner versus Carolina? Yes. But I am really starting to question this decision and think it has played a direct role in our subpar win-loss record.

I think many, including Payton, were so ready for us to have a long term answer at kicker they just decided Lutz was it despite a very rocky start and up and down season.

And the idea that we would be able to 'coach up' a kicker, I mean...

Lots of wishful thinking getting blown apart by reality.

Meanwhile...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sean Payton: &quot;Clearly, we have the right kicker.&quot;</p>&mdash; Josh Katzenstein (@jkatzenstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/jkatzenstein/status/799697814343192576">November 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints?src=hash">#Saints</a> coach Sean Payton said he believes K Wil Lutz remains the right guy. Said kick wasn&#39;t as far off as he first thought Thursday.</p>&mdash; Mike Triplett (@MikeTriplett) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeTriplett/status/799697947948621824">November 18, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not versed enough in line play to really speak from a place of knowledge, but wouldn't blocks be more of a line/blocking scheme issue? And is it fair to blame a rookie for three blocks, when two were pretty obviously line failures?

I've just seen some good thing from the guy, so I'm not ready to declare the experiment a failure by any stretch at this point.

I'm not versed enough in line play to really speak from a place of knowledge, but wouldn't blocks be more of a line/blocking scheme issue? And is it fair to blame a rookie for three blocks, when two were pretty obviously line failures?

I've just seen some good thing from the guy, so I'm not ready to declare the experiment a failure by any stretch at this point.

Payton said that he thought both the Giants and Panthers blocks were kicked low. It's probably a combination of both that is causing the issue.

Payton said that he thought both the Giants and Panthers blocks were kicked low. It's probably a combination of both that is causing the issue.
Oh, I don't think that Lutz is completely absolved of some growing pains and perfect in his technique. But that's part of the responsibility of teammates. You make up the deficit when your teammate makes a mistake. I don't see the line as doing a great job there.

Would add that both Miami and the Jets have two blocks on the season as well, so it isn't just a Saints problem, although it is the only one that we care about.

Well, Payton's walked that comment back a bit as he saw the replay from yesterdays kick.

That said, I'm more about the ST coach being responsible for the poor play. Lutz will be a really good kicker IMO and we're set for the forseeable future. I know the jury's out on him somewhat, but he's a rookie and we know the talent is there.

If it were only him, that's one thing, but there are a lot of problems in several areas of STs so I'm not gonna get on Lutz until I see improvement from the group as a whole.

I would love to see them bring in Carney as a kicking coach again.

but there are a lot of problems in several areas of STs so I'm not gonna get on Lutz until I see improvement from the group as a whole.

This right here.

If we didn't have guys running into each other causing fumbles on punt returns, returners catching balls on kickoffs that are going out of bounds inside the 5, punt coverage team players lighting up a returner who's catching a fair catch, kicks getting blocked left and right - one with guys jumping over the line to stand in front of the kicker on a game winning extra ******* point, etc. etc. then I'd look at Lutz as being the problem. Until they clean up the rest of that monstrosity they're calling a special teams unit, I'm not willing to blame the kicker for not doing his job when it's clear that no one on special teams is, save Morstead.

Would add that both Miami and the Jets have two blocks on the season as well, so it isn't just a Saints problem, although it is the only one that we care about.

Dude, I love you but we have had FIVE kicks blocked this year, three of them smothered so well they went back for a TD or a PAT. In addition, the Jets franchise is a dumpster fire and Miami seems to have a just-miss-the-playoffs ceiling even in its good years -- these are not teams you want to be compared to, much less lots worse than, in any category.

They have a "problem" -- we have a complete professional collapse in a phase of the game that would cost a less-secure HC his job.

Lutz is a good kicker.

and miiillllessssss better than Kai Forbath or Connor Barth.

Dustin Hopkins was/is legit, and should have been kept. That was a mistake we can't fix now. Lutz is an amazing kicker. He has some consistency issues with getting kicks high enough, but it's obvious the main problem is McMahon. The defenses know our snap count better than the offense. Half of the line was pile driven down on that blocked kick last night.

I'm glad to hear actually CSP is backing the kicker, because last night he put a lot of blame on Lutz, but said he would have to review. I'm glad he reviewed and is now blaming McMahon.

For people to be down on Lutz is laughable. He's clearly a great kicker, and only 22

Yes.

Even if the rest of the special teams was just average the blocked kicks would have cost us a few games already.

But on top of it you have the field position problems from the struggles to return or not be able to commit penalties.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom