Is Platooning 2 QBs the Only Way to Keep a Healthy Brees for the Playoffs (1 Viewer)

I am very curious of what the results would be if you interchanged Hill and Brees but on multiple drive basis instead of just plays. Like let Hill open up and play about 3 drives and then swap to Drew and so on. I know this would be an issue if one got the hot hand (you don't take a guy like that out) but it seems like it would give defenses fits. Just when they think they are in the swing, its like they are all of the sudden playing a different game. Its kind of radical but just maybe..

It is a radical idea but I think it could work if done correctly. The two QBs have such vastly different skill sets and it force defenses to prepare for all of this:

Precision short/intermediate passing
Deep passes
QB runs
Being spread horizontally
Being spread vertically

He's 33, so he's getting towards the end - probably has a couple of years left. From what I hear, he's done with the Skins. I'd just imagine that if the Saints really do want to transition Taysom to a real QB (which I'm not even sold on being the case), then they'd likely look for a cheap veteran backup to be the #3 QB, veteran leader and a good locker room guy.

If we need a #2 QB to basically replace Bridgewater's role, I'd prefer we do better, but would cost a bit more. You have to just plan as if you're assuming your QB will get injured at some point for some games when he's 42 years old. I guess it all depends on whether the whole Taysom thing is a bit of internet hype or the real deal.

LC - Your bleeding Burnt Orange deeply hurts my LSU Homer heart - lol. But I'm backing you that David Thomas from UT was a main reason we won the SB :)

LC - Your bleeding Burnt Orange deeply hurts my LSU Homer heart - lol. But I'm backing you that David Thomas from UT was a main reason we won the SB :)
He did draw a masterful DPI call on a LB in the NFCCG that made it possible to even get to the SB. To this day I still don't think he was actually interfered with. Sure would be nice to be on that end of a bad call once in a while again.

He did draw a masterful DPI call on a LB in the NFCCG that made it possible to even get to the SB. To this day I still don't think he was actually interfered with. Sure would be nice to be on that end of a bad call once in a while again.

He also bailed Vince Young out of a couple of jams in the national championship game by making some incredible catches on off-target throws in key situations. He always had a knack for playing above himself in big moments.

He also bailed Vince Young out of a couple of jams in the national championship game by making some incredible catches on off-target throws in key situations. He always had a knack for playing above himself in big moments.
You know, I actually remember that game and him playing in it now that you brought it up but didn't even realize he was the same person when he was a Saint. He did make some big plays in that game. Probably didn't put the two together because we didn't draft him and picked him up as a FA after he played in New England (I think that's who it was...).

I was not trying to say Brees takes steroids. Coach Pete said that Brees is one of the few that don't except possibly when he was rehabbing an injury which I think is legal. I was trying to use the term figuratively meaning super alpha male. Sorry for the confusion

Come on mannnnn...... you know I was kidding

Come on mannnnn...... you know I was kidding

These days on the board Dutar on Coach Pete threads, I feel like I'm having flashbacks to my high school days. And unlike Clinton, I did inhale - lol.

Dutar - I didn't feel insulted at all. I felt like I screwed up by my sloppy wording.

Have a grand night brother! - dan

These days on the board Dutar on Coach Pete threads, I feel like I'm having flashbacks to my high school days. And unlike Clinton, I did inhale - lol. I got no idea what you talkin' bout wi

Dutar - I didn't feel insulted at all. I felt like I screwed up by my sloppy wording.

These days on the board Dutar on Coach Pete threads, I feel like I'm having flashbacks to my high school days. And unlike Clinton, I did inhale - lol.

Still think players after 40 years old should be able to do whatever they want.

Oilfield workers too.

No, and I think people are reading too much of what Drew said.

He is competitor and a team player. He wants to leave with a trophy on hand. That is why he has no problem using Taysom more. But that doesn't mean he is ready to stop being the starter.

Many times it has been written that the way Drew (and most start quarterbacks) teach their proteges is by example.Drew won't take time of his schedule to teach Teddy and Taysom, but he will include them in his process and give them pointers.

Now, about sharing quarterback responsibilities, what Drew is saying is that he won't be opposing on using Taysom IF that is needed to earn more wins. What he means is that he is willing to give Taysom more plays by design, or when needed if the offense is not working.

But let's be clear: Neither Drew nor Sean Payton will use the 2020 season for preparing for the future. They won't be giving drives to Taysom or Teddy in order to have a more prepared quarterback of the future.

They will be riding Drew as much as they can, because that is what they think is the best option to go all the way.

It's just common sense, not much to read about this.

I think this is partially true.

My honest opinion is that next year, the Saints could very well win the division in spite of their QB play. The division isn’t very good. Brees probably gives the Saints the best chance to win in 2020, but I think we’d be fine with either Bridgewater or even Hill. But I’m not moving forward with Brees in 2021. Giving Brees a 70/30 split with Hill allows the Saints to go waste deep with Hill. Last year they may have been knee deep...he did some move things with limited plays That should give the Saints a pretty good indicator whether or not he can be a starter for a few years post Brees. And it’s not necessarily playing for the future...Taysom could be a much more dynamic player next year than Brees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom