Is Platooning 2 QBs the Only Way to Keep a Healthy Brees for the Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
It seems kinda bizarre to me that SP says we are going to be platooning QBs and Brees admitting he will do what is necessary to support the team.

We all know Brees is the extreme Alpha male QB. (edit) , but we also know that he may be the most cerebral QB to ever play the game. To that cerebral side, we know Brees will calm his emotions and make the best decision for him, his family and his teammates.

In no way will I say it's all Who Dats, but a large number openly expressed the belief that Brees couldn't handle a full 19-20 game schedule as sole QB.

Do you think platooning is the best way to have a healthy, rested Brees ready for potentially his final playoff run? Or is platooning being discussed by the Saints as a way to bring the long ball back into play or both or???

Last edited:
No, and I think people are reading too much of what Drew said.

He is competitor and a team player. He wants to leave with a trophy on hand. That is why he has no problem using Taysom more. But that doesn't mean he is ready to stop being the starter.

Many times it has been written that the way Drew (and most start quarterbacks) teach their proteges is by example.Drew won't take time of his schedule to teach Teddy and Taysom, but he will include them in his process and give them pointers.

Now, about sharing quarterback responsibilities, what Drew is saying is that he won't be opposing on using Taysom IF that is needed to earn more wins. What he means is that he is willing to give Taysom more plays by design, or when needed if the offense is not working.

But let's be clear: Neither Drew nor Sean Payton will use the 2020 season for preparing for the future. They won't be giving drives to Taysom or Teddy in order to have a more prepared quarterback of the future.

They will be riding Drew as much as they can, because that is what they think is the best option to go all the way.

It's just common sense, not much to read about this.

People keep saying that it can't be done, but I'd sure love to see us try a 2 QB system. No one that's ever tried it before had a QB that's also a RB, WR, TE and FB. If we can snag a top tier WR2 in the draft or Free Agency, I think that offense would be completely unstoppable.

If they decide to go this route, they don't want to emulate the Jaworski/Cunningham strategy. I think it was Randall Cunningham's rookie year. The Eagles would play Jaworski for two downs. If he didn't get the first down or had a 3rd and long, Cunningham would come in, find that all the receivers were covered for obvious reasons, and then he would usually try to run for the first down since he hadn't learned to read a defense yet. It got ridiculous when it was 3rd and long. Poor Randall would try to run for it and get sacked a lot of the time. :jpshakehead:

I think it could work because Payton would be the one putting it together.

He wouldn’t do the Spurrier thing where he just yanked a QB if he made a bad throw.

He wouldn’t use one in obvious passing downs and another in obvious running situations.

He would tailor an entire offense to maximizing both players’ potential while staying as unpredictable as possible. I’d be all for it.

It’s probably more a respect thing. Drew understands that we need a succession plan in place. He owes it to us to leave and to have us sustain stability at the QB position. SP owes it to Drew to play him the majority of the snaps. It’s not ideal, but it can work. We have seen mouse droppings of this the past 2 years. I’m sure Drew, even being the ultimate competitor that he is, can see that Taysom gives us a real good chance of moving the chains in key situations, and Taysom has paid his dues. Taysom is so gifted that we had to insert him in many different positions just to get him onto the field. If Stevie Wonder can see that, then so can Drew. This is not the young version of Drew, this is a mature wise version. He would be fine, and should be fine with whatever is asked of him. But like I said, I’m sure Drew will get the majority of the snaps.

I believe our best chance of winning next year is Drew Brees. All parties are open to a two qb system if it gives us the best chance to win. Taysom and Drew can make it work; but, I don’t foresee a 50/50 split. Drew gives us the best chance to win almost always.

Drew can play an entire season. Last year was a fluke injury.

Considering the way T7 plays, I’m not sure he could get through a season (as a starter) healthy though.
Taysom said that if he is the starting QB, then he would be more of a smarter runner bc he knows the team will need him for a full season. He’s only trucking people now bc his opportunities are small and he’s doing whatever it takes for the team to win.

No, and I think people are reading too much of what Drew said.

He is competitor and a team player. He wants to leave with a trophy on hand. That is why he has no problem using Taysom more. But that doesn't mean he is ready to stop being the starter.

Many times it has been written that the way Drew (and most start quarterbacks) teach their proteges is by example.Drew won't take time of his schedule to teach Teddy and Taysom, but he will include them in his process and give them pointers.

Now, about sharing quarterback responsibilities, what Drew is saying is that he won't be opposing on using Taysom IF that is needed to earn more wins. What he means is that he is willing to give Taysom more plays by design, or when needed if the offense is not working.

But let's be clear: Neither Drew nor Sean Payton will use the 2020 season for preparing for the future. They won't be giving drives to Taysom or Teddy in order to have a more prepared quarterback of the future.

They will be riding Drew as much as they can, because that is what they think is the best option to go all the way.

It's just common sense, not much to read about this.

As always- really good insights. Thx much. What did you think of Brees' performance in the Minny playoff game?

In no way will I say it's all Who Dats, but a large number openly expressed the belief that Brees couldn't handle a full 19-20 game schedule as sole QB.
This is handled by training and rest. I believe you know this well.

People keep saying that it can't be done, but I'd sure love to see us try a 2 QB system. No one that's ever tried it before had a QB that's also a RB, WR, TE and FB. If we can snag a top tier WR2 in the draft or Free Agency, I think that offense would be completely unstoppable.

Excellent analysis also. Thx Ken.

What I read was that Taysom might be playing 30 plays a game. the Saints averaged 62 offensive plays last year. That would bring the long ball back into SPs offense again on about half of our plays. And how do defenses defend Taysom with his arm. Defenses sure can't move close to the LOS like top defenses have been doing with Brees for a few years. And yet, Taysom can take off for big runs on any play. Then Brees comes in and defenses have to totally adjust scheme allowing Brees to pick them apart.

Can a pro QB stay warm not playing every series?

It seems kinda bizarre to me that SP says we are going to be platooning QBs and Brees admitting he will do what is necessary to support the team.

We all know Brees is the Alpha male QB on steroids, but we also know that he may be the most cerebral QB to ever play the game. To that cerebral side, we know Brees will calm his emotions and make the best decision for him, his family and his teammates.

Do you think platooning is the best way to have a healthy, rested Brees ready for potentially his final playoff run? Or is platooning being discussed by the Saints as a way to bring the long ball back into play or both or???
It was interesting watching the FOX viewing stream last night. Actually turned the sound off, on the actual telecast. You have Montana, Brees and Favre watching and commenting. Brees was far and above the most analytical. He was reading the defense before every play and predicting where the Chefs and 49ers would attack. You can’t teach that or coach that.
He also made a couple of comments that seemed to me that he has already made up his mind to come back for one last chance at another ring.
Weaker arm, whatever; he still gives the Saints their best chance to win The Lombardi this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom