Is Platooning 2 QBs the Only Way to Keep a Healthy Brees for the Playoffs (1 Viewer)

Drew was saying that he'd do whatever it takes to win. I think this platoon business is exaggerated. Drew Brees still gives the Saints the best chance to win. Hill is a weapon and obviously he needs to be utilized but I think this platoon business has been blown out of proportion. Of all the positions in sports I think rhythm is most important for QBs. I don't see a true platoon system ever working in the NFL.

Or is platooning being discussed by the Saints as a way to bring the long ball back into play or both or???
Game planning, protection up front, wr who can get deep is what’s needed for the long ball. Drew can still make all the throws. He’s not the best at everything; but the best overall. This is not a Peyton Manning drop off.

We've already been successfully running a 2 QB system to an extent. If anything, maybe Taysom gets a few more plays here and there, but I don't see too much change to what we've been doing.

We've already been successfully running a 2 QB system to an extent. If anything, maybe Taysom gets a few more plays here and there, but I don't see too much change to what we've been doing.
I could see there being some plays where Taysom goes in at QB and then they run a hurry up version of the offense not allowing the defense to sub and Hill goes off the field when the drive gets stopped (not stopped on 3rd down, just stopped for the scripted plays they went into that series with). Some wrinkles like that which we haven't seen before.

Drew said he's fine with Hill taking 25-30 snaps at QB and that's the equivalent of a few drives. I don't think he'd get to see that many snaps coming off the field after one play like he has been. I don't think it'll be anything close to a 50/50 split platoon, but I do see there being games where Taysom may actually run a whole series at a time or like I mentioned in the paragraph above.

Brees wants to win another Super Bowl and also leave the Saints in good hands when he hangs them up. This is the best way to go about accomplishing both goals. And I'd be shocked if Hill isn't with Drew for the entirety of his off-season workout regimen that he does before camp with receivers. He's already said he's copied everything else about his routine.

The interesting question to me is could it actually work. Let's say we're playing the falcons and they practice and game plan all week for Drew. They expect to see some razzle dazzle from Hill but for the most part they're trying to prepare SP's traditional offense.

Then the games starts and Hill is under center and we're running the Ravens offense. Just when the defense is starting to figure out how to stop this unexpected attack, Drew comes in and the offense completely changes.

With these two QBs who have such wildly different skill sets, I think it could work situationally. Just like the Wildcat worked situationally.

Excellent analysis also. Thx Ken.

What I read was that Taysom might be playing 30 plays a game. the Saints averaged 62 offensive plays last year. That would bring the long ball back into SPs offense again on about half of our plays. And how do defenses defend Taysom with his arm. Defenses sure can't move close to the LOS like top defenses have been doing with Brees for a few years. And yet, Taysom can take off for big runs on any play. Then Brees comes in and defenses have to totally adjust scheme allowing Brees to pick them apart.

Can a pro QB stay warm not playing every series?

I'd prefer Drew and Taysom in the game at the same time on the vast majority of plays. Line Taysom up at TE then put him in motion and no one, including us, will know what to expect when the ball is snapped. Just seems like a ton of fun. I'd be willing to give it a shot while our Super Bowl for Drew window is getting smaller.

Drew did not like Teddy going 5-0, no vet starter would. He's okay with the Taysom sharing because that's not a threat to him as a starter, just a package shift.

As always- really good insights. Thx much. What did you think of Brees' performance in the Minny playoff game?

To be honest Swimmer, I haven't got the stomach to re-watch the game.

By memory, Drew played a good game, Taysom was superb.

You can't put the blame on only one player, the whole team and coaches lost the game. We missed a field goal. We had a horrible offensive first half. The secondary was nervous, and they ran all over us.

I think that we were tired, physically and emotionally. And even, we were only a big play away of winning.

We all know Brees is the Alpha male QB on steroids,

Drew Brees is not on steroids Swimmer. Don't start that rumor. Goodell reads SR each night before bed and looks for little clues like this to try and use against him. Who's side are you one anyway?

BTW, I believe that any NFL player past the age of 40 should be allowed to use whatever banned substances have been forbidden them for their entire career, if they choose to do so. At that age, it's not about getting a competitive advantage, it's about leveling the playing field. :)

As for the OP, in all seriousness... If Drew returns, we will not platoon QBs. We'd likely see an uptick in Taysom-plays, likely with a little more actual NFL QB-ing designed into them. Taysom already takes more offensive snaps (at QB) than most back-ups get unless the starter is injured. I could see Taysom getting as many as 4 or 5 more snaps per game than he's already getting. I just hope it doesn't go past the point of killing the offensive rhythm.

What nobody is talking about though is one thing that's been on my mind a lot here lately. If Drew returns, and Teddy is gone, and Taysom is retained... who will our 3rd QB be? And will he be the 2nd string so Taysom can continue to Taysom? Or does the new guy get asked to do some Taysom stuff while Taysom takes the #2 role?

What nobody is talking about though is one thing that's been on my mind a lot here lately. If Drew returns, and Teddy is gone, and Taysom is retained... who will our 3rd QB be? And will he be the 2nd string so Taysom can continue to Taysom? Or does the new guy get asked to do some Taysom stuff while Taysom takes the #2 role?

If Drew returns, I think Teddy is gone. He easily will double his salary of 7 million of last year. The cap hit plus the salary of Drew for 2020 will make it impossible for us to retain Teddy.

If Drew returns, I think Teddy is gone. He easily will double his salary of 7 million of last year. The cap hit plus the salary of Drew for 2020 will make it impossible for us to retain Teddy.
Yeah, I think that's a given at this point. UNLESS all the Taysom talk is smoke and Teddy doesn't find the right $ and situation elsewhere. Problem with that is... I don't think we could even afford the 7 million we paid Teddy last year this season. Regardless of whether Drew retires or not. So he'd have to play for less. And I just can't see that happening. But who knows.

I feel like Teddy will get offers. Just not sure it'll be multi-year contracts for starting jobs. Maybe he gets starting offers as a bridge QB to slowly work a rookie in. Maybe he gets offers to be a back-up QB. Maybe he gets offers to come in and compete for the starting job.
Not sure anyone signs and pays him to be a franchise QB bases on his body of work so far. 5-0 last year was awesome. What he did in Minny years back was good. But projecting him to be high level is a stretch to me.

Drew Brees is not on steroids Swimmer. Don't start that rumor. Goodell reads SR each night before bed and looks for little clues like this to try and use against him. Who's side are you one anyway?

BTW, I believe that any NFL player past the age of 40 should be allowed to use whatever banned substances have been forbidden them for their entire career, if they choose to do so. At that age, it's not about getting a competitive advantage, it's about leveling the playing field. :)

As for the OP, in all seriousness... If Drew returns, we will not platoon QBs. We'd likely see an uptick in Taysom-plays, likely with a little more actual NFL QB-ing designed into them. Taysom already takes more offensive snaps (at QB) than most back-ups get unless the starter is injured. I could see Taysom getting as many as 4 or 5 more snaps per game than he's already getting. I just hope it doesn't go past the point of killing the offensive rhythm.

Colt McCoy would fit really well into our offense and culture. He's a free agent and wouldn't break the bank either.

#NoHomer

#KindaHomer

How old is he now? I think he was on Washington's roster this year. It all depends what the goal I guess. He's not a reliable starter but he can be a bridge QB to someone else.
Colt McCoy would fit really well into our offense and culture. He's a free agent and wouldn't break the bank either.

#NoHomer

#KindaHomer

How old is he now? I think he was on Washington's roster this year. It all depends what the goal I guess. He's not a reliable starter but he can be a bridge QB to someone else.

He's 33, so he's getting towards the end - probably has a couple of years left. From what I hear, he's done with the Skins. I'd just imagine that if the Saints really do want to transition Taysom to a real QB (which I'm not even sold on being the case), then they'd likely look for a cheap veteran backup to be the #3 QB, veteran leader and a good locker room guy.

If we need a #2 QB to basically replace Bridgewater's role, I'd prefer we do better, but would cost a bit more. You have to just plan as if you're assuming your QB will get injured at some point for some games when he's 42 years old. I guess it all depends on whether the whole Taysom thing is a bit of internet hype or the real deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom