Is Posse a Racist Term (1 Viewer)

You're really going to split hairs on this?

bad-girls-e1415131495205.jpg

And really, it's after the "You tell em, I'm coming.. and Hell's coming with me!" line that the true posse is formed and they hunt the whole gang down.

didn't Wyatt take off his badge before that?

You're really going to split hairs on this?

And really, it's after the "You tell em, I'm coming.. and Hell's coming with me!" line that the true posse is formed and they hunt the whole gang down.

Man I love that movie.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xwrk5o" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwrk5o_you-re-no-daisy-you-re-no-daisy-at-all_sport" target="_blank">You&#039;re no Daisy, you&#039;re no Daisy at ALL</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/dm_50c38e030a2eb" target="_blank">dm_50c38e030a2eb</a></i>

This is a fascinating example of the situation our country is in with the current racial divide.

Being accused of racism can be very damaging for a white person, especially those in the public eye. For example, the previous owner of the Clippers was forced out after being exposed for saying racist things. When a white person gets accused of being racist, they can get very defensive and it's understandable because people lose their jobs over stuff like that. In a case where the racial undertones were unintended, the white person resents being accused of racism because they don't want to be portrayed in a way that doesn't reflect their true beliefs, and they also don't want to accept the punishment that comes with being labeled a racist.

A black person can reasonably interpret a comment as being racially insensitive, even when it wasn't intended that way. Sometimes neither side is wrong, its just a matter of perspective. Instead of each person trying in good faith to understand the other's perspective, each person digs in. The black person doubles down on calling the white person racist, and the white person doubles down on saying the black person should not be offended. And both sides contribute to an honest misunderstanding getting blown out of proportion.

Instead of making it an adversarial "us vs them" debate, we should make a better effort to understand each other as people on the same team.

Everybody needs to read this again, and read it a third time. And take the time to really, really digest its meaning.

What frustrates me about this entire convo is not that people disagree on the use of word as racist, or insensitive, or anything else.

It's that there are a whole lot of people who haven't at all taken the time or thought to look at it from the other person's perspective, and instead take on this attitude of "Screw you, it's not racist because I said so! And now I'm going to throw it in your face and use the word at every possible opportunity in every out-of-context way I can find! Posse posse posse posse posse!"

When instead, you could be nice, and recognize that if something bothers somebody else, maybe you could just say, Hey this is bothersome to someone, and my momma taught me to be nice to other people, so I'll make sure not to use that particular word in that particular context.

but I guess that's just me expecting too much from human beings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom