Is Posse a Racist Term (1 Viewer)

Next time I walk past the breakroom during a pot luck I'll be sure to be offended when someone says, "Who brought the crackers?" Seriously, Lebron's friends are his business partners, and I believe they were friends before the business portion was brought into the matter. Saying "his Posse" is referring to the goup of guys that he is friends with, and happens to do business with as well. Nothing more. You're reading too much into nothing at all.

The thing is whatever possible or inherent meanings of the word, it's pretty hard to deny that Phil Jackson knowingly chose to use the word in a context and with an emphasis that was meant to degrade LeBron's relationship with these guys and make it into some kind of informal, slangy, dismissive statement that they were not serious men. He wasn't talking about a group heading out on vacation, or heading out for a night on the town. He was talking about men in a business situation.

There's nothing wrong with calling casual friends doing casual things homies, or your crew, or your posse, or your gang. To call a group of advisors with Obama his cabinet home boys or to say that Kenneth Frazier was putting together a crew to roll up to a board meeting is just not the same as talking about "hanging out". It's also not your 83 year old grandmother who never left her population 700 town in South Carolina using the term; it's a man well aware of every nuance of the term and its uses. There's no way Phil Jackson used this term in a blissfully ignorant or innocent way in this situation. LeBron didn't just react to the term in a vacuum, it was to the very intentional slight the way Jackson meant it to be delivered.

We are work partners. How is it different? Is it because we went to lunch together instead of having sleepovers?

On what planet can you not see the difference between business partners selling a product or service under their brand and a group of people you have lunch with?

This amount of obtuse requires some serious effort.

We can't hold the dictionary hostage because some people might have their feelings hurt.

Lebron didn't like Phil Jackson before this whole incident ever occured so it's Lebron going out of his way to be offended because someone he didn't like said something about his friends. Boo ******* hoo.

The word has agency based on who uses it and in what way they are using it. By this, nearly any word can be racist.

Or maybe you could try putting yourself in his shoes, rather than only seeing it from your own narrow, dismissive point of view, but I guess that's just too ****ing much to ask of people right now.

Didn't you recently get a warning in PMs about this sort of thing? I know because I got the same one....based on our little back-and-forth at the end of last week.

While we may disagree on plenty, I don't want to see you get banned.

On what planet can you not see the difference between business partners selling a product or service under their brand and a group of people you have lunch with?

This amount of obtuse requires some serious effort.

I get it. You saw the title, and didn't read the articles. In the articles Phil Jackson references an issue Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra had with Lebron (when he was a member of the Heat).
"It had to hurt when they lost LeBron," Jackson said. "That was definitely a slap in the face. But there were a lot of little things that came out of that. When LeBron was playing with the Heat, they went to Cleveland, and he wanted to spend the night. They don't do overnights. Teams just don't. So now [coach Erik] Spoelstra has to text Riley and say, 'What do I do in this situation?' And Pat, who has iron-fist rules, answers, 'You are on the plane. You are with this team.' You can't hold up the whole team because you and your mom and your posse want to spend an extra night in Cleveland.

Does a businessman break away from his company so that he and his mom can spend the night with friends. That isn't business like, that is friend like, hence the posse term. You are reading more into it than need be.

My favorite basketball team ever was The Posse at Tulane coached by Perry Clark.

Now I don't know what to call them............

My favorite basketball team ever was The Posse at Tulane coached by Perry Clark.

Now I don't know what to call them............

Was that the Jared Honeycutt team that went to like the Sweet 16?

Also, for the record, Phil Jackson is a troll, so who knows, maybe he did say Posse to get under LBJ's skin, but if he meant for it to be taken as a racist comment, wouldn't Melo (one of Lebron's best friends) come to LBJ's defense, and tell Phil "Hey, thats not cool."?

Funny, but unless I missed, the article never uses the term "racist."

But its at least terribly dismissive.

Or the words of a spurned NBA executive whose posse didn't include Labron James.

Was that the Jared Honeycutt team that went to like the Sweet 16?

No, they were before Honeycutt IIRC. Probably the reason he signed with Tulane.
They were led by Kim Lewis and lost in the 2nd round of the tourney.

I get it. You saw the title, and didn't read the articles. In the articles Phil Jackson references an issue Pat Riley and Erik Spoelstra had with Lebron (when he was a member of the Heat).

Does a businessman break away from his company so that he and his mom can spend the night with friends. That isn't business like, that is friend like, hence the posse term. You are reading more into it than need be.

No, I read it just fine. Who said he wanted to just "spend the night with friends" or his mom other than Jackson? LeBron is speaking as if that was all about some business they wanted to take care of.

Phil Jackson is quite known to be a ******bag that runs off at the mouth quite easily. He's had some choice words about the city of New Orleans a few times when he used to come here while coaching the Lakers.

The point is and remains, does he used that word if he knows Pau Gasol and his brother want to stay overnight as business partners? Kevin Love and his childhood friends?

If you know Phil Jackson, then you know there is a high chance he knew exactly what he was doing when he said that. It wasn't innocent because that's not his MO.

Didn't you recently get a warning in PMs about this sort of thing? I know because I got the same one....based on our little back-and-forth at the end of last week.

While we may disagree on plenty, I don't want to see you get banned.

I already apologized for the harsh wording. I do not apologize for the point I was trying to make.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom