Is Posse a Racist Term (2 Viewers)

The bad guys have captured the Lone Ranger, have him naked on the ground, and are about to shoot him. "Do you have any last wishes??", one of them asks.
"Bring my horse, Silver, over here.", the Long Ranger replies.

They grant his wish and over comes Silver. The Lone Ranger whispers for a moment into Silver's ear. Then Silver disappears over the horizon like lightning. He returns in just a few seconds with a big, beautiful woman in the saddle. She hops off Silver, strips naked and in short order she and the Lone Ranger enjoy themselves to the utmost, much to the delight of the bad guys.

When they've finished, another bad guy says, "That looked like good fun. Do you have any other last wishes??"

"Yes ..bring my horse, Silver, over here one more time.", the Lone Ranger replies.

Silver approaches, and the Lone Ranger whispers into his ear, "You idiot! I said bring POSSE!"

Not the best version of the joke but it gets the point across

I may be totally mis-reading this entire thing.............but I get the impression LeBron is more upset at the general characterization of his friends/agents as a "posse", moreso than thinking #DATSRACIST. A posse, a crew, whatever....would typically be used to describe younger males up to probably college-age. LeBron is probably trying to make the point at these are important people who are there for a reason....not just a group of dudes who are hanging out.

Unfortunately the story took a life of its own after that.

I am sorry, you can't claim words and project them to be Racist. Just because hip hop used the term does NOT mean the word belongs to the hip hop genre nor does it make the word racist. Language evolves, this is true and context means everything in all Language. Lebron told us to look it up, so we looked it up. We used Webster's for factual definition. We found no racism. We used Urban dictionary for racial context, there was NONE.

I will say Phil's usage of Posse may be disrespectful in the fact that his friends have become his business associates and Phil does not recognize that, but it is not Racist. The race card here loses credibility. The generation card, now that may have more play here.

irrelevant interjection: No, I will not be spending the holidays with my racist family members, either.

Nobody is trying to "claim" a damned thing and nobody said the word itself is racist. It seems that you don't understand what context means. This does not depend on the person RECIEVING the label but the intent on the person using it. He can use that word to describe some outlaw barons in the 1830s and no one would give a damn. He could use the word to describe a rap group entourage and no one would give a damn. I'd even use it for both of those myself.

But certain words are chosen for certain contexts and LeBron is wondering why would he use it in THAT situation where the context does not fit. Especially if they were there for business and not just to hang out and party, and particularly because he now looks at these people as business associates that have proven to be just that by what they've accomplished. Phil probably knows this as well.

This is a fascinating example of the situation our country is in with the current racial divide.

Being accused of racism can be very damaging for a white person, especially those in the public eye. For example, the previous owner of the Clippers was forced out after being exposed for saying racist things. When a white person gets accused of being racist, they can get very defensive and it's understandable because people lose their jobs over stuff like that. In a case where the racial undertones were unintended, the white person resents being accused of racism because they don't want to be portrayed in a way that doesn't reflect their true beliefs, and they also don't want to accept the punishment that comes with being labeled a racist.

A black person can reasonably interpret a comment as being racially insensitive, even when it wasn't intended that way. Sometimes neither side is wrong, its just a matter of perspective. Instead of each person trying in good faith to understand the other's perspective, each person digs in. The black person doubles down on calling the white person racist, and the white person doubles down on saying the black person should not be offended. And both sides contribute to an honest misunderstanding getting blown out of proportion.

Instead of making it an adversarial "us vs them" debate, we should make a better effort to understand each other as people on the same team.

isn't that a Sheriff and his deputies?
yes, I'm pretty sure posse members are deputized for that specific "ride" but they are no longer deputies afterwards (completely pulling this out of my saddle bags)

You're really going to split hairs on this?

a body of men, typically armed, summoned by a sheriff to enforce the law.

And really, it's after the "You tell em, I'm coming.. and Hell's coming with me!" line that the true posse is formed and they hunt the whole gang down.

Tom Brady Dined At Hamptons Hot Spot Cittanuova - East Hampton, NY Patch

the Celtics posse flew to the Hamptons where Durant was mulling over offers from various teams.

Guregian: It's time for Tom Brady to step up the attack | Boston Herald

Tom Brady's posse was supposed to be back in one piece, ready to go, ready for liftoff in today's divisional round play.

Peyton's Posse - BURGUNDY/MANNING: THE GREATEST INTERVIEW EVER - ESPN

Peyton's Posse ...When Manning arrived...he brought friends.

Mind-blowing stats: Denver Broncos QB Peyton Manning's Pro Bowl posse - NFL Videos

Peyton-s-Pro-Bowl-posse

Miley Cyrus along with her posse Celebuzz

miley-cyrus-along-with-her-posse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkUUoJCQq0I

Miley Cyrus VS Taylor Swift: Whose VMAs Posse Had More Fun?

Peace out, now I'm going grab me some posse, Trump style.

edit one more for the road...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-saddles-up-for-what-could-be-their-last-ride

Drew Brees' Old Posse Saddles Up for What Could Be Their Last Ride

Your perspective is valid. I'm just wondering why you are going to such a great length to prove your own perspective, when another equally valid one has been offered.

His position is not valid. Nobody in arguing the usage of that word in any of those apples to oranges situations he wasted his time fetching off the Internet.

Your perspective is valid. I'm just wondering why you are going to such a great length to prove your own perspective, when another equally valid one has been offered.

Applying racial context to something that is not racial, like this, diminishes my point of view when truly racist events occur. I try explain to the older people I work with how context is king when it comes to language especially revolving around any polarizing subjects all the time.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to people it has only been 60 years since the civil rights movement so certain things are sensitive subjects. That Black people have to deal with racist bull **** on a daily basis. It is unfortunate that by default the word posse is being construed as having racial undertones by Lebron and his friends. Posse is a common word that has never had racial undertones in the past until now. While nearly 9 out of 10 times I'll likely side with social justice, this time is surely not one of those times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom