Is Posse a Racist Term (1 Viewer)

Or maybe you could try putting yourself in his shoes, rather than only seeing it from your own narrow, dismissive point of view, but I guess that's just too ****ing much to ask of people right now.

His shoes are a few sizes too big for me. :hihi:

I guess I am surprised that you can't say somebody has a posse, and just expect for others to pick up that it is in no way racist. Being that Lebron and his crew were not summoned to enforce the law, I get what Phil is referring to, and its the informal meaning of the term. Hell, why would he be referring to the armed definition?

Is Posse going to be the new gay, where when you say it one way it will be taken another way?

You can say somebody has a posse when the context fits it and nobody will be offended. So you're missing the point.

Here's the point...have you ever in your entire life, heard a group of businessmen referred to as a posse? Hit up Google and let us know because I haven't.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting what Jackson said, but I thought Jackson's posse comment was jab aimed more at LeBron's business partners than James himself. I've actually never heard of posse potentially being used in a racist context until reading this thread.

You are correct, Phil was referring to his business partners, but Lebron felt it was a dig at him because he utilized his friends. Lebron's friends didn't feel it was in his best interests to go to a large market like New York to play and obviously Phil is still a little agitated. Stephen A Smith alluded to this on separate occasions on First Take when Lebron was weighing his options, before re-signing with the Cavs.

You can say somebody has a posse when the context fits it and nobody will be offended. So you're missing the point.

Here's the point...have you ever in your entire life, heard a group of businessmen referred to as a posse? Hit up Google and let us know because I haven't.

We used to have a lunch posse at work. Then one guy got fired, and another left for a better job. Good times. Wheres the offense again?

We used to have a lunch posse at work. Then one guy got fired, and another left for a better job. Good times. Wheres the offense again?

There is quite obviously a huge difference between calling yourself something and having somebody else call you something.

As for the question, if you've really read through the responses on this thread, and you still don't get, then you're not ever going to.

product_detail_826663122701.jpg

I'm going to lick your posse.

There is quite obviously a huge difference between calling yourself something and having somebody else call you something.

As for the question, if you've really read through the responses on this thread, and you still don't get, then you're not ever going to.

No, our manager specifically said "your lunch posse." And then he proceeded to tell us that others in the office felt left out because we weren't inviting them, and it was creating a difficult work environment (this was a CPA firm in CA mind you).

Maybe I wont get it, I guess I will have to find a way to carry on.

Crew? What the hell do you mean by that???

His crew? The group of guys he works with, and hangs out with.:idunno: What do you think I mean?

No, our manager specifically said "your lunch posse." And then he proceeded to tell us that others in the office felt left out because we weren't inviting them, and it was creating a difficult work environment (this was a CPA firm in CA mind you).

Maybe I wont get it, I guess I will have to find a way to carry on.

Is this groundhog day? How are your buddies you do lunch with at work comparable to partners in a serious business venture?

There is obviously quite a bit of difference in the usage and context there. For one, the word "lunch" modifies it in a way that makes its intent clear - he wasn't implying that you were going out and being a bunch of hooligans or hangers-on.

In the context of the Lebron situation it means a much different thing. And for all I know Phil is right - maybe those dudes don't qualify as legit business partners and he was just calling it as he sees it. But in a scenario where they are his legit business partners and he's called them "his posse" instead, it's dismissive and degrogatory.

I didn't mean the "you'll never get it" part to sound so condescending, I just think by now if you don't understand you're lacking the proper frame of reference to understand. And that's OK, we can't all possibly have the same life experiences.

Or maybe you could try putting yourself in his shoes, rather than only seeing it from your own narrow, dismissive point of view, but I guess that's just too ****ing much to ask of people right now.

Brah twenty is the blackest white man I know.

Brah twenty is the blackest white man I know.

And I'm probably the whitest black man you know (not that you know me, but whatever). And something I've come to understand lately is, even the whitest black man you know, is still a black man. And the blackest white man you know is still a white man.

There's just no getting around the fact that there's a gulf of this crap that separates us. I'm not mad at anybody, it's just a frustrating realization.

Sorry for sounding so harsh, I'm having a rough week.

There is obviously quite a bit of difference in the usage and context there. For one, the word "lunch" modifies it in a way that makes its intent clear - he wasn't implying that you were going out and being a bunch of hooligans or hangers-on.

In the context of the Lebron situation it means a much different thing. And for all I know Phil is right - maybe those dudes don't qualify as legit business partners and he was just calling it as he sees it. But in a scenario where they are his legit business partners and he's called them "his posse" instead, it's dismissive and degrogatory.

I didn't mean the "you'll never get it" part to sound so condescending, I just think by now if you don't understand you're lacking the proper frame of reference to understand. And that's OK, we can't all possibly have the same life experiences.

It's not condescending, its confusing. I am probably not alone in this feeling either. You are right though, and its true, we don't all have the same life experiences, hence the reason its hard to take offense to something like this.

Sorry about your rough week. Hope things get better.:9:

Is this groundhog day? How are your buddies you do lunch with at work comparable to partners in a serious business venture?

We are work partners. How is it different? Is it because we went to lunch together instead of having sleepovers?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom