Is Rodgers career now officially a disappointment (1 Viewer)

His and Brees careers are very similar.
The difference so many keep overlooking is that Brees was never projected to win multiple Superbowls. Brees is considered an overachiever. He was never expected to be a future league superstar or HOFer by any stretch.

Rodgers was supposed to have been the number 1 pick. Rodgers has always been celebrated(similar to Mahomes) as transcendent. While I don’t by any stretch believe his career is a failure, if he doesn’t get another SB apparence then he underachieved based on initial expectations for his trajectory.

The difference so many keep overlooking is that Brees was never projected to win multiple Superbowls. Brees is considered an overachiever. He was never expected to be a future league superstar or HOFer by any stretch.

Rodgers was supposed to have been the number 1 pick. Rodgers has always been celebrated(similar to Mahomes) as transcendent. While I don’t by any stretch believe his career is a failure, if he doesn’t get another SB apparence then he underachieved based on initial expectations for his trajectory.
During the early 10s, particularly 2011, Brees and the Saints were picked to win their second championship. By the time it hit 2015 even in the middle of three consecutive 7-9 seasons, Brees was considered a HOF lock.

The Packers had the advantage of playing in a weak NFC North so it was seen as an easier path to the playoffs and the Super Bowl. The only competition was a brief run with the Vikings and a one off year when the Bears run the North.

Even though the Saints have dominated the South during Bree’s’ run, there was always another team threatening the run. The Falcons in the early 10s and ‘16 and Ron Rivera and the Panthers from ‘13-‘15. It wasn’t until 2017-2020 that the Saints won consecutive division titles. The path to the playoffs and Super Bowl was easier for Green Bay.

Was Brees career a disappointment? Come on man. You can't blame one player for team losses like this. People just can't stand the media loves Rodgers so they hate him.

People sure do want to blame the QB around here when we lose or anoint him a savior when we win.

In case it isn't clear, I agree with what you are saying....just saying it louder for those in the back since like 3 people here seem to understand that point.

But I also hate Rodgers. He is a tool. If we sign him I won't be watching.

Exactly and in everyplayoff game since 2011 with exception of Seattle in 2013 had his team in position to win. Tampa could have been won most likely if Cook didnt fumble.

Same cant be said of Rogers

Thank you. I can't believe I had to get 3 pages in before someone explained this.

Based on how Aaron is extolled and hyped up, if his career ends today - absolutely it was a disappointment based on how almighty they told us he was.

He and Drew had similar careers, but they sure as hell weren't treated similar.

I think this iteration of the Packers reminds me of the pre-Brees Saints.

They keep finding new, stupid ways to lose. Whether it was the NFCCG when they're beating the Seahawks until a fake punt and 2 point conversion miracle and bomb in OT do them in. Then there's this gem of a game.

Exactly and in everyplayoff game since 2011 with exception of Seattle in 2013 had his team in position to win. Tampa could have been won most likely if Cook didnt fumble.

Same cant be said of Rogers
Brees threw 3 picks. Tampa had to drive 25 yards per TDs for the first 2 picks. That game was lost more due to Brees.

I think this iteration of the Packers reminds me of the pre-Brees Saints.

They keep finding new, stupid ways to lose. Whether it was the NFCCG when they're beating the Seahawks until a fake punt and 2 point conversion miracle and bomb in OT do them in. Then there's this gem of a game.
Talking about stupid ways to lose. Saints 2011, 2010, 2017. We had our shares of headaches.

Last edited:
Brees threw 3 picks. Tampa had to drive 25 yards per TDs for the first 2 picks. That game was lost more due to Brees.
At least 1 of the picks was an outright drop and another one really could have been caught. But in spite of that, they were still in the game when Cook fumbled. That was the point where the game was pretty much lost. Also recall that wasn't Cook's only blunder that day. He dropped another pass and really didn't look good much of the game. I had high expectations for him, and his time with us was more crummy than good.

It wasn't Brees' best game, sure, but it also wasn't as bad as some are making it out to be.

Last edited:
Talking about stupid ways to lose. Saints 2011, 2010, 2017. We had our shares of headaches.
The ones that bug me the most are

1a. The Rams no-call
1b. The Saints defensive last drive collapse in the NFCCG vs the 9ers.
1c. The long bomb we gave up to Minny on the last play of the game.

All of those had 1 memorable play that did us in. Yuck.

Thank you. I can't believe I had to get 3 pages in before someone explained this.

Based on how Aaron is extolled and hyped up, if his career ends today - absolutely it was a disappointment based on how almighty they told us he was.

He and Drew had similar careers, but they sure as hell weren't treated similar.
Also Drew never got to host Jeopardy for a week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom