Is Rodgers Slumping or Aging? NFL.com (1 Viewer)

You got bludgeoned by red thumbs because the chances of the Packers releasing Rodgers are nil. And be careful patting yourself on the back, old man. Things pull and tear at our advanced ages.

LMAO. Brutal Soggy! :smilielol: "Old Man!" I've found the fountain of youth every time I go to Colorado

But Brees still will not be our starting QB when he's 51 :hihi:

Main point is they have gone to playoffs 8 out last 9 years. Usually at least get to divisional round. A super bowl win included. The 15-1 season only time I can remember when they had a loaded roster. He is the main cog of that success. And that is fantastic success! The Rogers is over rated talk is just plain non sense

He did play great in his 38 year old season though.

The thing with Manning is that if he didn't have the chronic neck issue, does anyone think he wouldn't still be playing at a high level?

So when people use him as an example of a great QB who hit a wall before 40, I think it lacks context. Yeah, if Drew Brees had a neck issue that causes him to barely be able to grip the ball properly, he'd probably not make it to 40. But he doesn't and won't.

We don't know that. We can't. Romo and Manning's careers were ended by neck injuries in the twilight of their careers.

And on another point, it's not equal to compare Brees passing stats to Rodgers. Brees plays 10-12 games a year in Domes. Rodgers has to play most of his games outside is often horrific and very cold weather. He's throwing to receivers who have frozen fingercicles.

We don't know that. We can't. Romo and Manning's careers were ended by neck injuries in the twilight of their careers.

And on another point, it's not equal to compare Brees passing stats to Rodgers. Brees plays 10-12 games a year in Domes. Rodgers has to play most of his games outside is often horrific and very cold weather. He's throwing to receivers who have frozen fingercicles.

Romo has had back issues for a decade and his career has not ended. He will start next year somewhere.

Manning started having chronic neck issues at 34.

Neither is comparable to Brees' health history.

Romo has had back issues for a decade and his career has not ended. He will start next year somewhere.

Manning started having chronic neck issues at 34.

Neither is comparable to Brees' health history.

Romo's career is over. Anyone who knows anything about neck disk injuries knows that when nerve damage accompanies the disc injury, the ability to build muscle back to previous athletic levels ain't happening

Manning got the most advanced expensive stem cell treatment from Europe to prolong his career 1-2 years, but it got him

And our QB. Let's see:
- Most horrific shoulder injury of an NFL QB he's ever seen. - Dr. Andrews; re injured last year
- Oblique injury
- Labrum
- Plantar Fasciitis

Apples to oranges. No one would deny that was a bad year for Brees in terms of INTs. But he still had eight 300 yard games and a 68% completion rate. Brees has always thrown a lot of INTs, so seeing him throw 6 more than his yearly average wasn't that big of shock.

To get more specific, Rodgers went from elite production to 14 straight games without 300 yards, only 1.4 TDs a game, and an average completion rate of 58%.

Being puzzled as to why he was so down for such a sustained period wasn't something made up on SR.com. It was a national topic.

It was a national topic, as well as the occasional questioning of the demise of Brees (such as 2014).

It's interesting that you point to completion % and yards as a sign of not being a slump while excusing a HUGE increase in INTs...when we actually had a good defense and not a historically bad one. The one excuse I'd make for Brees that season is that every RB got hurt.

It's not a wrinkle. It's almost his entire game. They may run west coast routes in design, but they are not running a 3-5 step from the pocket, west coast offense or at the very least Rodgers completely ignores it and does what he wants. I can count the number of timing routes I saw him complete Sunday on one hand. The rest were him out of the pocket while the WRs broke their routes off.

I'm not gonna continue to argue this, because frankly, it's not my story to defend. The downturn Rodgers had was national news for almost two NFL seasons. It wasn't something I made up.

Not just national, but it came up a time or two in Packerland as well. Matter of fact, it was pretty much the hottest topic on our agenda.

I don't know what happened to Rodgers in early 2015, or exactly how it un-happened in the middle of the 2016 season - but yeah, those of us who've watched him play every week for years saw it plain as day. He was just not the same quarterback.

There were rumblings of a rift between him and McCarthy and possibly Thompson, and if that's true it may have been part of it. One thing that we know is true is that Rodgers estranged himself from his entire family around the end of the 2014 season, and anonymous teammates were quoted last season as saying he was too stubborn to admit how much that was getting inside his head. What we know for sure about that is that his parents don't like Olivia Mun, and she doesn't care for them either. Both sides have either acknowledged that or pointedly declined to comment.

Reports are that Olivia is almost as stubborn and headstrong as he is, and family members have acknowledged that both sides of the conflict took strong positions. Apparently they really rubbed each other the wrong way when Rodgers was first bringing her into the family and they were all getting to know each other. Sounds like some words were said, and this was around the time he cut his family out of his life. They haven't spoken in 2 years, and he has told them they are not welcome in Green Bay. How much that might have affected his play, I couldn't speculate, but I suppose it's a possibility.

I won't make any bones about it - I love the guy as a quarterback, but more and more he seems like a jerk. He's got the biggest chip on his shoulder I've ever seen, which can be one of his greatest strengths, but... it can also be a vulnerability. He's just wrapped so damned tight. He always looks like a grenade that's about to explode. That chip seems to make him a real headcase sometimes, and I think that whatever it is that affected his play probably had something to do with the stick he always has up his butt.

But, at any rate, he seems to have worked through whatever the issue was - at least to the point where it doesn't appear to be affecting his play anymore. He's cruising at or above the same altitude that he was at during the Super Bowl run, and in fact may even be better. Whether he's playing well enough to overcome all the weaknesses on the team for two more games remains to be seen, but he's basically been playing playoff football ever week for the last two months - every one of the last 8 games has essentially been an elimination game, and they've pretty much known that almost every week. He and they seem to have learned how to rise to the pressure, so we'll see if they can keep it up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom