Is Sean Payton a Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

I think he’s absolutely been a HOF Coach due to his offensive mindset and playcalling which has been part of shaping the current NFL.

That said, I don’t think he’s a 100% lock due to public perception. I’m not saying it’s right or that I agree with it, but I think the NFL’s fabricated “bounty” nonsense will play into voters minds sadly.

I think he is a hall of fame coach.

Above sixty win percentage. Top ten offense every year. Pro bowlers at every offensive position. Same for defense except DT.

Fewest wins in his thirteen years is seven. Started a season an NFC record 13-0. Winningest coach in Saints history.

Won a superbowl. Famous onside kick. Three of his five playoff losses has a nickname. All of Drew Brees records are just as much a credit to him.

Katrina rebuilding. Domecoming. Bounty gate.

You cannot tell the story of the NFL without including Sean Payton.

When the Saints started 0-2 last year, there was talk about whether Payton and the Saints should mutually part ways after the season.
I'll admit I was in that number. We were coming off 3 straight 7-9 seasons. After the first 7-9 season it was obvious we were going into rebuild mode and I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Then we start out 0-2 again and they looked horrible. I didn't see any bright side in either of those losses. He managed to turn it around though and was within one crazy play from playing in the NFC championship.

This year on the other hand, after getting beat by Tampa in the opener I was able to give him the benefit of the doubt and not panic after one game and here we are on an 8 game winning streak. I think it proves that as hard as it is for owners and fans to do, you have to be patient. As to the question of if he's a hall of fame coach I think he is borderline right now, win another Super Bowl and then I think he definitely is.

Only coaches to win 60% of their games and be a head coach for at least 10 years not in the HOF?

Bill Belichick
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin
Mike McCarthy
Andy Reid
George Seifert
Marty Schottenhiemer

Andy Reid and Marty are the only ones without a SB win. All have a great argument for the HOF.
You skipped Potsy Clark who won a Championship with the Lions in 35 and Bill Cowher.

Also you left out arguably great coaches like Blanton Collier and Jim Lee Howell who are just short of the 10 years but have better winning percentages. Buck Shaw also had 8 NFL seasons and 4 AAFC seasons with the 49ers.

Blanton is HoF worthy candidate who isnt in despite winning a championship with the Browns in 64.

And Jim Lee Howell is great as well, he won a championship with the Giants in 56.

The real challenge isnt the accolades of SP or the Bounty Controversy but the fact that he has to bump a player out of a spot to be inducted. That is how the NFL HoF works. If a coach gets in, that means one less opportunity for a position player. That is what will make it challenging.

Also Adam Schein does not have a HoF Vote (probably explains why he so easily slings the phrase around - lack of understanding of the process), Duncan (unfortunately) on the other hand does.

I think he’s absolutely been a HOF Coach due to his offensive mindset and playcalling which has been part of shaping the current NFL.

That said, I don’t think he’s a 100% lock due to public perception. I’m not saying it’s right or that I agree with it, but I think the NFL’s fabricated “bounty” nonsense will play into voters minds sadly.

We have to be objective about one thing: He's also continuously tried, and largely completely failed, to have his team field a competent defense. That, too, seems to be finally changing this season, but you can't have a defense finish in the bottom five of the league year after year. He's more than the offensive coach, the defensive side of the ball is equally his responsibility. That, more than anything, is keeping both him out of the Hall of Fame and Brees from dueling with Brady for the title of all-time great.

The league has always had it out for us. So it has likely negatively impacted SP's rep.

In looking at HOF, Sean Payton will likely never get in unless he gets on a roll that transcends his time with Brees at QB.
As far as accolades after he is done, maybe an episode of "A Football Life" would be appropriate.
He just doesnt have the numbers consistently to make it even close.
At this point in their career, Mike McCarthy is an equal candidate for HOF and Belichick is far ahead of all of them.

Bountygate, a weak coaching tree, and offensive success that was tied to a first ballot HOF QB, all work against him.
When you look at his assistant coaching days, he was never considered innovative or genius, in fact with the Giants he had play calling duties removed and the head coach took over.
Add in a pretty mediocre playoff record (even including the super bowl win) and its just not HOF worthy.

He is a good coach in the middle of a very good season. He's really not an innovative play caller.
He has probably one of the best players to ever play in the NFL at QB.
It will take a few more seasons like this one for SP to make it to the HOF.

Longevity, toughness of his teams, offensive proficiency, consistent performance of his teams all point to hall of fame status. Win another superbowl and I think he's there. Get another team without Brees deep in the playoffs and it's a sure thing imo.

Only coaches to win 60% of their games and be a head coach for at least 10 years not in the HOF?

Bill Belichick
Sean Payton
Mike Tomlin
Mike McCarthy
Andy Reid
George Seifert
Marty Schottenhiemer

Andy Reid and Marty are the only ones without a SB win. All have a great argument for the HOF.

I was like of course Sean Payton in a HOF coach. Then I read George Seifert not being in and now I'm starting to wonder. If that guys not in yet then I really don't know.

I think he's easily a HOF coach. He's the NFL's innovator of offense. He's completely taken our lovable loser/eternal underdog image, and flipped the culture on it's head. Now the franchise has a Super Bowl championship to its name and we're currently gunning for another one. Teams/coaches/coordinators have literally stolen his blueprints and copied his offense all around the league. He evolved the RB position and its usage. He even created a new do it all iron man position in Taysom Hill. The man is probably the single most aggressive playcallers to grace the league. And this is all on top of the fact that when he first got here in 06, he brought more than just football back to a recovering NO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom