Is Sean Payton a Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

I was like of course Sean Payton in a HOF coach. Then I read George Seifert not being in and now I'm starting to wonder. If that guys not in yet then I really don't know.

Didn’t know that. Good point. Hmmm.

He won’t make it cause folks will say he had one of the GOATs in Drew as his QB.

And some of those same folks will say Drew isn’t one, because he had one of the greatest offensive minds of all times in SP as his Coach!

Hilarious!

???

I think he is a hall of fame coach.

Above sixty win percentage. Top ten offense every year. Pro bowlers at every offensive position. Same for defense except DT.

Fewest wins in his thirteen years is seven. Started a season an NFC record 13-0. Winningest coach in Saints history.

Won a superbowl. Famous onside kick. Three of his five playoff losses has a nickname. All of Drew Brees records are just as much a credit to him.

Katrina rebuilding. Domecoming. Bounty gate.

You cannot tell the story of the NFL without including Sean Payton.

People here get up in arms and bust out the pitchforks around here when we go 7 and 9, but as an old line Saints Fan who grew up watching terrible football, I still think of 7 and 9 as a gift from the Gods.

To have coached the New Orleans Saints for 12 years and never have been worse than 7 and 9 seems like an impossible dream and I hope the youngsters around here appreciate it for what it is even though it's not a "winning season."

I don't know that we went 7 and 9 for the first 25 years we were in the NFL, but now I know what it's like to be a fan of an elite NFL team that has had a legitimate chance at making the playoffs every year for more than a decade and at least 3 or 4 legitimate chances to have advanced to the Superbowl.

Other than the Patriots, nobody else can match that so, yes. Payton is HOF bound and just for giggles, let's throw in a little Katrina reference and remind folks he took a dismal team in a broken city to the NFC Championship game when there were still 200,000 blue tarps on roofs in the area.

Last edited:
People here get up in arms and bust out the pitchforks around here when we go 7 and 9, but as an old line Saints Fan who grew up watching terrible football, I still think of 7 and 9 as a gift from the Gods.

To have coached the New Orleans Saints for 12 years and never have been worse than 7 and 9 seems like an impossible dream and I hope the youngsters around here appreciate it for what it is even though it's not a "winning season."

I don't know that we went 7 and 9 for the first 25 years we were in the NFL, but now I know what it's like to be a fan of an elite NFL team that has had a legitimate chance at making the playoffs every year for more than a decade and at least 3 or 4 legitimate chances to have advanced to the Superbowl.

Other than the Patriots, nobody else can match that so, yes. Payton is HOF bound.

Agreed, the first big Saints celebration I remember is the year we finally managed to go 8-8 because it wasn't a losing season.

Not that I want to dwell on this, but Beastquake, Minny Miracle... what's the third?

I call them all, "#%$&!"

Saints @ 49ers 2011 Week 18 - “The Catch III”

Heck Yeah! I betcha none of the other HOF Coaches ever smashed a fire alarm before a game.

One factor in Payton's favor -- before he got here, the Saints had won one playoff game in 39 years.

Over the last 12 years, we have a Lombardi, a winning record in the playoffs, never lost a home playoff game, and won 60% of our regular season games. A bottom-three franchise (Bucs, Lions) that was also a regular player at the top of franchise relocation candidate lists is now one of the most carefully established teams in its home market and season tickets sell out every game.

That's just remarkable.

I'll say if he coaches five more years and can get to 150 wins, at 60%, with one more Lombardi, he's a lock. Bountygate will actually help -- notoriety keeps memories alive!

You skipped Potsy Clark who won a Championship with the Lions in 35 and Bill Cowher.

Also you left out arguably great coaches like Blanton Collier and Jim Lee Howell who are just short of the 10 years but have better winning percentages. Buck Shaw also had 8 NFL seasons and 4 AAFC seasons with the 49ers.

Blanton is HoF worthy candidate who isnt in despite winning a championship with the Browns in 64.

And Jim Lee Howell is great as well, he won a championship with the Giants in 56.

The real challenge isnt the accolades of SP or the Bounty Controversy but the fact that he has to bump a player out of a spot to be inducted. That is how the NFL HoF works. If a coach gets in, that means one less opportunity for a position player. That is what will make it challenging.

That hasn't been true for the last few years. There are 7 slots every year for "modern era" players and 3 for contibutors/"senior players".

There's a few coaches that need to get in the Hall.
Jimmy Johnson and Mike Shanahan.

That hasn't been true for the last few years. There are 7 slots every year for "modern era" players and 3 for contibutors/"senior players".
I think you got it wrong as coaches dont take contributor or senior spots. There are 5 Modern-Era finalists (including coaches and players), there is either 1 or 2 seniors candidates (on alternating years) and 1 contributor.

https://www.profootballhof.com/heroes-of-the-game/becoming-a-hall-of-famer/

Note the Class of 2016
Modern Finalists
1. BRETT FAVRE
2. KEVIN GREENE
3. MARVIN HARRISON
4. ORLANDO PACE
5. TONY DUNGY

Sr candidates
1. KEN STABLER
2. DICK STANFEL

Contributor
EDWARD DEBARTOLO, JR.

2017 KENNY EASLEY (Sr) with contributor JERRY JONES
2018 ROBERT BRAZILE and JERRY KRAMER (Sr) with contributor BOBBY BEATHARD

Note however, there is a rumor that amnesty will be given for the 100th anniversary allowing many more senior candidates to get in.

You skipped Potsy Clark who won a Championship with the Lions in 35 and Bill Cowher.

Also you left out arguably great coaches like Blanton Collier and Jim Lee Howell who are just short of the 10 years but have better winning percentages. Buck Shaw also had 8 NFL seasons and 4 AAFC seasons with the 49ers.

Blanton is HoF worthy candidate who isnt in despite winning a championship with the Browns in 64.

And Jim Lee Howell is great as well, he won a championship with the Giants in 56.

The real challenge isnt the accolades of SP or the Bounty Controversy but the fact that he has to bump a player out of a spot to be inducted. That is how the NFL HoF works. If a coach gets in, that means one less opportunity for a position player. That is what will make it challenging.

Yea, sorry. I meant in the Super Bowl Era. I completely botched Bill Cowher.

Modern day Bill Walsh

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom