Is Sean Payton a Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

Can you name any coaches from the 00s that'll get into the Hall?
Belechick, Tomlin, Coughlin, and Payton have defined NFL coaching for the 00s. They should get in. But I've said it before, Shanahan and Johnson should get in too.

People here get up in arms and bust out the pitchforks around here when we go 7 and 9, but as an old line Saints Fan who grew up watching terrible football, I still think of 7 and 9 as a gift from the Gods.

I go back pre-Mora and you won't hear me ever say 7-9 is a gift from the Gods. More like one more "there is always next year"

In looking at HOF, Sean Payton will likely never get in unless he gets on a roll that transcends his time with Brees at QB.
As far as accolades after he is done, maybe an episode of "A Football Life" would be appropriate.
He just doesnt have the numbers consistently to make it even close.
At this point in their career, Mike McCarthy is an equal candidate for HOF and Belichick is far ahead of all of them.

Bountygate, a weak coaching tree, and offensive success that was tied to a first ballot HOF QB, all work against him.
When you look at his assistant coaching days, he was never considered innovative or genius, in fact with the Giants he had play calling duties removed and the head coach took over.
Add in a pretty mediocre playoff record (even including the super bowl win) and its just not HOF worthy.

He is a good coach in the middle of a very good season. He's really not an innovative play caller.
He has probably one of the best players to ever play in the NFL at QB.
It will take a few more seasons like this one for SP to make it to the HOF.

Weak coaching tree... Didn’t you just see Doug Marrone, a Payton disciple, just coached the Jags to the AFC Championship?

As the for the bounty controversy, that could actually bolster his credentials. There’s already a few guys in the Hall that were once suspended over controversy. Spygate surely isn’t stopping Belichick from getting in.

I think he’s a a guaranteed hall of famer. He has been at the forefront of his ting the offensive game in this league for the better part of a decade and a half and counting

Hammy Reid is the only offensive mind to stick around as long as him.

Good coach but he’s gotta win at least one more championship. You can’t have a HOF QB and only win championship....well aside from Tony Dungy, you can’t.

If Payton wins another SB, he's a lock for the Hall of Fame.

Sadly, Bountygate will forever be the one thing that prevents this for him without winning a second SB.

Sean Payton is definitely a “hall of famer”. Aside from helping turn the saints into a respected, competitive force in the NFL... having a top ranked offense most of his time with the saints... his play calling and style is honestly very fun to watch. Saints games are more entertaining than a lot of other teams on a week to week basis.

I credit Sean for a ton of that.

How is George Seifert not in? He won two Super Bowls, was in the NFC Championship game three other times, had an incredible winning percentage with the 49ers (not so great with the Panthers).

How is George Seifert not in? He won two Super Bowls, was in the NFC Championship game three other times, had an incredible winning percentage with the 49ers (not so great without the Panthers).
I think he gets wrongly hung for a perception he just filled in after Walsh and the poor record at Carolina. BS because as much as I hated the 49er's his teams were ridiculous.

I think he is.

I also know his defense has held this team back. Also a 60% win percentage and 1 SB win isnt very impressive with every game he has coached been with the GOAT at the helm.

His offense though.

It can be argued both ways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom