Is Sean Payton worth another five year contract (1 Viewer)

I hear Mike Smith is available. :(
4d3f74198751a88fa038835aa9f64a26_giphy.gif

I think that Payton is definitely an asset to our team, but they are some things that needs to change. Here’s the way I see it:

1. Payton's loyalty to his friends/coaches who are underperforming more specifically on the defensive side of the ball & special teams. Remember how hard it was for Sean to get rid of Gary Gibbs? Another major question is "who" would replace Payton if he is fired?

2. Mickey Loomis crippling us w/ overrated high priced FAs signings that are not panning out, getting cut "before" their contract is up, & staying on the books in future budgets. How can a team be a major player in FA or retain quality players w/ no money? These "magic" deals will eventually come to an end & the window of opportunity with Drew Brees is slowly fading into the sunset...

3. For years, we have been good at one phase of the game (Offense) vice all 3 (offense, defense, & special teams). To give credit, yes the defense showed up yesterday & the offense did not, but that was only one game. Needs consistency. Hopefully, yesterday was the starting point...

4. Kicking carousel. Needs stability.

5. Injuries to key players. This is something that cannot be controlled.

6. And finally, failure to build/groom through the draft instead of trading draft picks & quality players away. Here's a quick summary of the last 4 years:

2016:
1. Sheldon Rankins, DT
2a. Michael Thomas, WR
2b. Vonn Bell, S (via traded (2) 2016 picks 3rd & 4th to Patriots)
4. David Onyemata, DT (via traded (2) picks 5th (2016 pick) & 5th (2017 future pick) to Redskins)
6. Traded 2016 pick w/Redskins for 5th round selection in 2015 draft (see 2015, Pick 5C).
7. Daniel Lasco, RB

2015:
1a. Andrus Peat, T
1b. Stephone Anthony, LB (via traded 4th & TE-Jimmy Graham to Seahawks for C-Max Unger & 1st)
2. Hau'oli Kikaha, LB
3a. Garrett Grayson, QB
3b. P.J. Williams, CB (via traded WR-Kenny Stills to Dolphins for LB-Dannell Ellerbre & 3rd)
5a. Davis Tull, LB
5b. Tyeler Davison, DT (via traded G-Ben Grubbs to Chiefs)
5c. Damian Swann, CB (via traded (2) picks 6th (2015 pick) & 6th (2016 future pick) to Redskins)
7. Marcus Murphy, RB

2014:
1. Brandin Cooks, WR (via traded (2) 2014 picks 1st & 3rd to Cardinals)
2. Stanley Jean-Baptiste, CB
4. Khairi Fortt, LB
5a. Vinnie Sunseri, S
5b. Ronald Powell, LB (via traded RB-Darren Sproles to Eagles)
6. Tavon Rooks, T
7. Traded to 49ers for LB-Parys Haralson

2013: (Sean Payton’s 1st Year Back with Saints)
1. Kenny Vaccaro, S
2. Docked pick due to Roger Goodell’s Bountygate Punishment
3a. Terron Armstead,T
3b. John Jenkins, DT, (via traded (2) 2013 4th round picks to Miami & RB-Chris Ivory to N.Y. Jets)
5. Kenny Stills, WR
6. Rufus Johnson, LB
7. Traded to Seattle for LB-Barrett Ruud

2012:
Stopped at 2012 since it was a complete mess. For starters, Payton was suspended for the entire season, Greg Williams was suspended indefinitely, Mickey Loomis was suspended for 8 games, Joe Vitt was suspended for 6 games, Aaron Kromer was temporary HC for 6 games, and the Saints were docked draft picks in 2012 & 2013 due to Bountygate.
That 2013 Draft turned out to be horrendous.

yes, he keeps his teams well coached, knowledgeable and they generally don't commit penalties and play a clean brand of football. Payton also gets the most out of the little talent he has. He is an excellent coach, one of the greatest offensive minds in the history of football.

Payton the personnel guy needs to be fired. I am amazed he gets what he gets out of the players he has but he is the one picking them.

We stink right now not because of coaching but because of poor drafting and an over reliance on free agency which is loaded with misses.

This is why I asked the question of who would you replace him with? If you're going to replace Payton, it better be with someone you know for a fact is better than he is.

Replace what?? 7-9? If Payton falls below 500 this year he can kick rocks. I would actually keep Pete Charmichal in place and promote Dennis Allen to HC. Allow him to hire his defensive assistants and we're good.

If the outcome of this season is like the last two then what coaching genious are we trying to keep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Replace what?? 7-9? If Payton falls below 500 this year he can kick rocks. I would actually keep Pete Charmichal in place and promote Dennis Allen to HC. Allow him to hire his defensive assistants and we're good.

you think another coach can get more than 7 wins with this team? while I think this team is on the upswing, too many young players that don't know how to finish games, we are depending on free agents and udfas to man our secondary. Coach Payton has shown that he can win and is rebuilding this team to do just that. Bad decisions were made but on both sides. In a vacuum you can see how all the free agents and contract extensions made sense at the time. I put it on the players mostly. They may have seen this team as easy pickings for a easy payday. whatever. what is done is done. DA has shown nothing to prove that he is a better head coach than Coach Payton. More to it than coming up with a simple game plan for the defense. We are not the only team that has struck out in free agency and have had bad contracts. We just pay more attention to it because it is the team that we follow. This ship will right itself and I feel soon. I have a good feeling that this Monday night game will be the game the offense, defense, and special teams come together and destroy the Failclowns.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom