Is Sean Payton worth another five year contract (1 Viewer)

Was flamed for saying this before but I'll say it again. Payton will be the next Jeff Fisher. He will continue to coach as long as he wants to after putting up losing seasons. I think it would've been best if he moved on last year and we kept Pete Charmichel as OC. But here he is. And here we are back at 0-2. Sean's methods don't work anymore. He's only relevant because of his reputation.

Was flamed for saying this before but I'll say it again. Payton will be the next Jeff Fisher. He will continue to coach as long as he wants to after putting up losing seasons. I think it would've been best if he moved on last year and we kept Pete Charmichel as OC. But here he is. And here we are back at 0-2. Sean's methods don't work anymore. He's only relevant because of his reputation.
This.

We can't continue to stay loyal too him because of a superbowl. This is sports, it's a business. And the business is winning. We have a HOF QB on the edge of his career. Why let it go to waste with losing seasons by a HC who can't be trusted anymore. You want one last push for a Super Bowl with Drew and quite simply he is being wasted.

I hate too see drew ride off into the sunset on the back of 3-4 consecutive losing seasons but I genuinely think it will happen. Such a shame.

We talking about Payton the coach, or Payton the GM. I think he makes the right on-field decisions 75% of the time, but the failed personnel decisions are murdering this team.

One of the primary issues with Payton is that he has coaches on his staff that are underwhelming and seemingly untouchable. Greg McMahon has been captain of one of the most inconsistent and underperforming units, Special Teams. I'm inclined to blame him for the revolving door at kicker and the woeful coverage and return game over the last 10 years he's be here. And then there is Vitt our "assistant HC" and line backers coach. Not really sure what he does? Hold the jucey fruit and pat guys on the head? Another Payton guy is Bill Johnson the DL coach. Maybe he's a miracle worker given the talent we have but dude has out lasted 4 defensive HC changes? I guess I can see Vitt and Johnson hanging on but our ST have been terrible. Yet year after year he seems to miss the constant turnover at most of the other Assistant positions? At this point I really don't see any of these guys leaving so I really don't think it matters.

We talking about Payton the coach, or Payton the GM. I think he makes the right on-field decisions 75% of the time, but the failed personnel decisions are murdering this team.
The other 25% though can be doozies, like recurring time out stuff, the TE reverse to Hill last year, featuring Coleman with the game needing to be won. Crazy like a fox, I guess.

On the field when he's off, he's way off in a wtf way. As for GM, 2006 -09 is looking more and more like luck when you think about Fleener and Stephone Anthony and Peat and Murphy and Tull as late as last season. This stuff isn't getting better.

But I don't think there's another model for Payton to stay here under. He's not going to want to answer to anyone.

The bad draft picks, free agent acquisitions and personnel decisions primarily on Defense has cost us from being a winning team and wasting the years of one of the best quarterbacks of all time. In my opinion and i hope i am wrong, but i believe Payton is a super control freak and makes decisions without consulting other staff and consultants. I am so frustrated! :rant:

SP won't be here after Brees retires, so I don't think anyone has to worry about that. When he is gone and Brees is gone, you are going to think back of the days when the Saints were competitive.

I don't like everything about Sean Payton either but he is a top coach in this league. when this era of Saints football is over I pray to God we get lucky and get the right people in here.

I mean who knows who will be pulling the strings of the franchise when this time comes?

SP won't be here after Brees retires, so I don't think anyone has to worry about that. When he is gone and Brees is gone, you are gone think back of the days when the Saints were competitive.

I don't like everything about Sean Payton either but he is a top coach in this league. when this era of Saints football is over I pray to God we get lucky and get the right people in here.

I mean who knows who will be pulling the strings of the franchise when this time comes?
The difference is at least with another Coach you don't have too worry about them being overly loyal to underperforming positional coaches, or knowing you're always going to have a bad defense or whiff in FA/Draft.

And even though Payton is still here now, I think back to 2011 etc, when we were truthfully competitive. We are not competitive now. So in reality that doesnt make a difference. To get better you need to make changes, and I think with SP around we won't get any better than we are now.

I can't think of a coach that got extended after 2 losing seasons in a row and 3 out of 4.

It's the same as the other problems in the FO. Because of Where ownership is at it is my belief that we have who we have until Mr Benson is no longer the owner.

The difference is at least with another Coach you don't have too worry about them being overly loyal to underperforming positional coaches, or knowing you're always going to have a bad defense or whiff in FA/Draft.

And even though Payton is still here now, I think back to 2011 etc, when we were truthfully competitive. We are not competitive now. So in reality that doesnt make a difference. To get better you need to make changes, and I think with SP around we won't get any better than we are now.

I can understand your points and you very well could be right. I'm frustrated too.

I think anyone that follows this team closely year around kind of knew this was going to be a rough season. We simply do not have enough good players, but the last couple drafts seem to have been pretty decent and with another good draft and us being able to actually spend some money next year, I think we can make a good jump.

I know no one likes hearing "next season" especially when we are only in week 2 of the this one, but it's just the reality of it I'm afraid.

I think the correct question was whether he was worth the current extension he was given

3 straight losing seasons is a clear sign that Payton has run his course. Even his offenses are no longer dominant. Time for a switch. We're living in the past. He won't be delivering any more Super Bowls.

3 straight losing seasons is a clear sign that Payton has run his course. Even his offenses are no longer dominant. Time for a switch. We're living in the past. He won't be delivering any more Super Bowls.
You wait until the game AFTER our dominant offensive performance to say our offenses are no longer dominant?

I can't think of a coach that got extended after 2 losing seasons in a row and 3 out of 4.

It's the same as the other problems in the FO. Because of Where ownership is at it is my belief that we have who we have until Mr Benson is no longer the owner.

The Rams are supposedly going to extend Jeff Fisher, so it does happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom