Is Super Unleaded Gas Necessary? (1 Viewer)

No offense guys but there is A LOT of bad information being passed in this thread.

Compression ratio is only part of the equation. In my 2003 Cobra, I run an 8.5:1 compression ratio. I HAVE to run 93 because it is a supercharged engine. My tuner specifically tuned my car to 93 octane, just like your car should be tuned for your turbo. Even if stock, you run what manufacturer recommends.

If your car is tuned for 93 and you put in 87 you should not see a degrade in power. The loss of power would only come from your engine being damaged by using the lesser octane. If I run 110 octane in my car on my 93 octane tune I will actually lose power. Sorry, but the people that say their cars run worse on lower octane are imagining it.

NEVER, I REPEAT, NEVER try to get away with a lower octane by just listening for "pinging". Pinging is DAMAGE to your engine. Pinging can destroy your engine.

If you really need to run a lower octane, take your car to a performance shop with a dyno. Have the operator run it to check your air to fuel ratio and go from there. It is the only way to safely LOWER octane on a forced induction vehicle.

If you have any questions on this feel free to PM me.

Did you mean to say "not"? Because that one line is opposite of the rest of your post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom