Article Is ten years in prison enough for this guy who helped cage an autistic woman and feed her her mom's cremation ashes? Will he even do ten full years? (1 Viewer)

I'm for the rehabilitation of people but I'm also sick and tired of monsters walking among us

Do you think he will be a fit neighbor for you in ten years, if he stays in prison that long?

https://apnews.com/b77b29c9680c4c07a462f86a015fa08a

I don't know the details of the case, but being a weak accomplice isn't the same as the one who orchestrates it.

"
Barbier will formally sentence Raylaine and Terry Knope in August. They face 28 years in the federal case and already have been sentenced to 29 and 33 years respectively in the state case, according to the District Attorney’s Office in Tangipahoa Parish.

Among the charges to which Terry Knope II pleaded guilty was a hate crime. Court documents say he shot the victim with a BB gun because of her “actual and perceived disability.” Documents also say he was taking the victim’s regular Social Security disability checks."

would he be a fit neighbor if he stayed in prison for 20 years? I am not sure the length of time in prison determines your level of rehabilitation

I am not saying the guy shouldn't be punished....that is some sick sheet. I just don't know that you can find any direct correlation to time in prison to rehabilitation

I read articles like this and I wonder how hard is it to become a monster? We read stuff like this and say 'that could never be me' but what separates us from people who fall into being an accomplice to horrible acts? Look at this guy, look at Nazi prison guards. It isn't like they are just born evil. What happens psychologically to make the difference?

would he be a fit neighbor if he stayed in prison for 20 years? I am not sure the length of time in prison determines your level of rehabilitation

I am not saying the guy shouldn't be punished....that is some sick shirt. I just don't know that you can find any direct correlation to time in prison to rehabilitation

I read articles like this and I wonder how hard is it to become a monster? We read stuff like this and say 'that could never be me' but what separates us from people who fall into being an accomplice to horrible acts? Look at this guy, look at Nazi prison guards. It isn't like they are just born evil. What happens psychologically to make the difference?

What can happen psychologically to bring him back to whatever his pre-monster state was?

What can happen psychologically to bring him back to whatever his pre-monster state was?

I have no idea. If I don't know the path that makes him a monster I certainly don't know the way back. I am just saying that length of time in prison is not likely to help once you get to the 10 year point

I have no idea. If I don't know the path that makes him a monster I certainly don't know the way back. I am just saying that length of time in prison is not likely to help once you get to the 10 year point

Will he be released near you in ten years?

If so, and you have a kid by then, will you trust him since more time in prison wont make a difference?

Was this guy a monster or just a weak subservient person?

I dont know the dynamics of the 3 involved. But with 2 facing a lot more time, looks like he basically is being sentenced for not doing anything about it.

I dont know the dynamics of the 3 involved. But with 2 facing a lot more time, looks like he basically is being sentenced for not doing anything about it.

5 people facing/faced charges

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_r...cle_f1a5395a-9122-11e8-b819-33860076b559.html

Jody Lambert, 23, and Taylor Knope, 20, were indicted on conspiring to obtain forced labor, forced labor, and using force and threats of force to interfere with federal Fair Housing Act rights.

If so, and you have a kid by then, will you trust him since more time in prison wont make a difference?

how I would feel about having him as a neighbor at any point is different than a discussion about how much time in prison affects rehabilitation.

the truth is that neither of us knows how time in prison affects his rehabilitation. I am not even saying that you are wrong about wanting him to spend more time in prison...it was a monstrous crime and that is your opinion on his punishment and you are certainly entitled to it.

but without any facts about how spending more time in prison would benefit HIM (which is what rehabilitation is about), then the reality is that asking for more time is about punishment, not rehabilitation

It really seems like you're holding something back about how you feel. Do you think he should face capital punishment?

how I would feel about having him as a neighbor at any point is different than a discussion about how much time in prison affects rehabilitation.

the truth is that neither of us knows how time in prison affects his rehabilitation. I am not even saying that you are wrong about wanting him to spend more time in prison...it was a monstrous crime and that is your opinion on his punishment and you are certainly entitled to it.

but without any facts about how spending more time in prison would benefit HIM (which is what rehabilitation is about), then the reality is that asking for more time is about punishment, not rehabilitation

I'd be OK with him spending more time than 10 years in prison whether it helps him or not, so long as it keeps him away from people he might harm. Which might well make me a bit of a monster too. But at a lesser magnitude I reckon, from my ivory tower

It really seems like you're holding something back about how you feel. Do you think he should face capital punishment?
No Id just as soon he was in prison, not dead.

Do you think ten years is enough?

I'd be OK with him spending more time than 10 years in prison whether it helps him or not, so long as it keeps him away from people he might harm. Which might well make me a bit of a monster too. But at a lesser magnitude I reckon, from my ivory tower

I don't think that makes you a monster at all...I think you may be misunderstanding me

I am just questioning whether the extra time would equate to rehabilitation for him.

I am not saying the guy shouldn't be punished....that is some sick shirt. I just don't know that you can find any direct correlation to time in prison to rehabilitation

I think we create the idea of monster to reassure us that it’s something different from us
we also seem to take comfort in a spiritual aspect - an outside force made someone 'bad'

some struggle with the idea you are suggesting which i think is much more accurate - we create our own monsters
(though i do acknowledge that some have way messed up chemical wiring - and that's something that is very difficult to 'rehabilitate')

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom