Is the 2017 Saints Draft the Best In the Modern Era of the NFL? (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
It's still a little too early to lock down and say unequivocally "Yes," but personally, I have never seen this great a draft. In one draft, the Saints made the team playoff contenders for years, maybe even a decade. Let's take a look:

1) Marshon Lattimore - DROY. Started slow last year, finished strong and his determination is crystal clear this year. Is there a better man-to-man CB in the league. Latt is so physical, he beats-up on receivers. He is ultra-competitive with insane physical skills for a CB. Gilmore might be the only CB in the league I would even consider over Latt. Latt will be a multiple All-Pro

2) Alvin Kamara - personally, I would not take any other back in the league over Kamara. He is simply insanely good. And he is the consummate pro with his severe off-season conditioning, long hours in the film room and a combination of moves and athleticism I have not seen since Gayle Sayers. Kamara could make All-Pro as a WR, yet he is the most elusive running back in the league today. McCaffery is close, but Kamara is simply the best back in the league today. Kamara is and will be a perennial All-Pro

3) Trey Hendrickson - Very few thought Trey had All-Pro potential. Most analysts thought he could be a good player or maybe his arms were too short to be an effective DE. As you all know, it often takes D-linemen 3 years to really develop and Trey nailed that. I had to try and erase from my mind my previous thoughts of Trey in that Texan game and just watch the guy in Henrickson's jersey look All Pro. He was scary good. Yes the 2 sacks, but he was equally as effective against the run. He may actually have All-pro potential, but if not, he absolutely has pro bowl potential.

4) Alex Anzalone - Enormous physical talent, fast, strong, quick cuts, a good blitzer, excellent in pass coverage and seems to have the ability to be "In the right place at the right time" to make big plays. Alex has Clay Matthews capability and it seems like the game is starting to slow down for him. It looks like it took a year of pro-conditioning to overcome his college injury history and I give him high praise for his commitment to do just that. Alex is definitely a Pro-bowl level player.

5) Al-Quadin Muhammad - He was not a bad pick, but just got caught in a numbers game for the Saints. He is getting better every year, played a lot for the Colts and even started 4-games last year. Pretty darned good for the last draft choice by the Saints in 2017

6) Marcus Williams - Here's one that is "too early to tell." He polarizes us Saints fans. Even though he got roasted by some of us Who Dats for his duck and cover move last week, he was one of the highest-rated safeties by PFF last week and had a key interception. Physical skill-wise, he has Pro Bowl capability. Personally, I think Marcus will become a pro-bowl caliber player. So far, he has been a 3-year starter. I can only see a future where he continues to excel as the game slows down for him mentally

7) Ryan Ramczyk - Arguably the best Right Tackle in the league today and he is very young. Completely shutting down JJ Watt on MNF, the 1st time that has happened to Watt in his entire career, is a testament to Ryan's amazing skill. Ryan is Pro Bowl now. In such an unbelievably great draft, I tend to think Ryan was the best pick, better than Latt and Kamara. But that is so hard to even say because all 3 are sooooo elite, very young pros. The scary part for other teams is that Ryan is getting better every year.

All of these amazing young studs seem to have very high football IQs. They are all great teammates and except for Latt's offseason slip before his 2nd year, all these players devote themselves at very high levels to be the best they can be.

"Standing O" for Ireland, the scouts, the coaches and of course Sean Payton. If Loomis can keep these players in Black and Gold for another 5-7 years, this will be the greatest draft in the modern era of the NFL and a cornerstone to another SB with Brees and a yearly playoff contender post Brees. Who knows, maybe a Super Bowl team beyond Drew.

Have any of you ever seen a better draft? And I encourage all your insights even if it's in disagreement with me. Healthy debates with egos aside are one of the keys that make SR great,

6 starters out of 7 picks.

The 7th pick is also starting and playing well, just not for us.

3 “best at their position” guys.

Thank you.

And I’d be willing to say our 2016 draft is our second best in franchise history.

Rankins
Mike Thomas
Vonn Bell
Onyemata

That’s 4 more starters in 4 picks.

And Rank was turning into a top level DT, and MT13 is the best in the league.

Great thread. Those two drafts are definitely what turned it around for us.

When the four of the first five make the Hof then you can talk.

74 Steelers the best by a long shot.

Yes was the best saints draft ever.

Would love to see all of them wearing yellow jackets like the 74 Steelers.

Thank you.

And I’d be willing to say our 2016 draft is our second best in franchise history.

Rankins
Mike Thomas
Vonn Bell
Onyemata

Absolutely right, and this is why I do a double face palm when we trade our draft choices away.

Thank you.

Rankins
Mike Thomas
Vonn Bell
Onyemata

The 2006 was pretty good too.
1 of 8. Reggie Bush, running back, USC. ...2 of 8. Roman Harper, safety, Alabama. ...3 of 8. Jahri Evans, guard, Bloomsburg (Pa.) ...4 of 8. Rob Ninkovich, defensive end, Purdue. ...5 of 8. Mike Hass, wide receiver, Oregon State. ...6 of 8. Josh Lay, cornerback, Pittsburgh. ...7 of 8. Zach Strief, offensive tackle, Northwestern.

Plus Pierre Thomas was an undrafted rookie that year.
And Lance Moore the next year.

Mccaff Is not close to Kamara simply on draft value and that RB class on depth alone. Panther drafting a RB that high in one of the richest draft in history was absurd. Then, they drafted Samuel In the 2nd. A RB converted to WR.

Horrible drafting decisions

Last edited:
And to think that Ramczyk went to a couple of technical schools, sat out a year, then made it to Wisconsin is even more impressive. Dude didn’t have an easy route to the first rd of the NFL draft

Also, y'all this draft wasn't so bad. We have all the draft picks on the 53 except one and he may have made it if it wasn't for an injury in preseason.

McCoy is gonna be a BEAST. I think CJG and Hampton are too especially the older and more seasoned they get and Ellis is also going to be a good to great player for us. Mack is still trying to figure things out but he may end up being good for us as well.

So I have to say this draft was PRETTY GOOD. Not 2017 b/c we got Kamara, Ram and Lattimore, (all game changers), for sure but quietly it could end up being a very close race when it's all said and done to being one of the best drafts we did.

The 2006 was pretty good too.
1 of 8. Reggie Bush, running back, USC. ...2 of 8. Roman Harper, safety, Alabama. ...3 of 8. Jahri Evans, guard, Bloomsburg (Pa.) ...4 of 8. Rob Ninkovich, defensive end, Purdue. ...5 of 8. Mike Hass, wide receiver, Oregon State. ...6 of 8. Josh Lay, cornerback, Pittsburgh. ...7 of 8. Zach Strief, offensive tackle, Northwestern.

Plus Pierre Thomas was an undrafted rookie that year.
And Lance Moore the next year.

Thomas was in 2007

When the four of the first five make the Hof then you can talk.

74 Steelers the best by a long shot.

Yes was the best saints draft ever.

Would love to see all of them wearing yellow jackets like the 74 Steelers.

Beat me to the punch. Completely agree.

But this is the best draft of the modern era. Just so deep and with multiple elite talents. I’m starting to wonder if Marcus Williams will be anything more than a fringe starter, but he does have talent. But regardless, still an insane class...it’s really the reason for today’s success.

Still not sold on Anzalone. He has great physical ability but he seems to be out of position a lot. Maybe he is still learning the pro game.
I was down on Hendrickson too but he is balling this year. He seizes his opportunities and is making plays. Ram and Kamara were steals in the draft. When they happened, I thought there were higher priority needs. That’s why we are fans and coaches make the big bucks.
I happily eat crow over all of this. If Anzalone puts it all together, I will happily take another helping.

It's still a little too early to lock down and say unequivocally "Yes," but personally, I have never seen this great a draft. In one draft, the Saints made the team playoff contenders for years, maybe even a decade. Let's take a look:

1) Marshon Lattimore - DROY. Started slow last year, finished strong and his determination is crystal clear this year. Is there a better man-to-man CB in the league. Latt is so physical, he beats-up on receivers. He is ultra-competitive with insane physical skills for a CB. Gilmore might be the only CB in the league I would even consider over Latt. Latt will be a multiple All-Pro

2) Alvin Kamara - personally, I would not take any other back in the league over Kamara. He is simply insanely good. And he is the consummate pro with his severe off-season conditioning, long hours in the film room and a combination of moves and athleticism I have not seen since Gayle Sayers. Kamara could make All-Pro as a WR, yet he is the most elusive running back in the league today. McCaffery is close, but Kamara is simply the best back in the league today. Kamara is and will be a perennial All-Pro

3) Trey Hendrickson - Very few thought Trey had All-Pro potential. Most analysts thought he could be a good player or maybe his arms were too short to be an effective DE. As you all know, it often takes D-linemen 3 years to really develop and Trey nailed that. I had to try and erase from my mind my previous thoughts of Trey in that Texan game and just watch the guy in Henrickson's jersey look All Pro. He was scary good. Yes the 2 sacks, but he was equally as effective against the run. He may actually have All-pro potential, but if not, he absolutely has pro bowl potential.

4) Alex Anzalone - Enormous physical talent, fast, strong, quick cuts, a good blitzer, excellent in pass coverage and seems to have the ability to be "In the right place at the right time" to make big plays. Alex has Clay Matthews capability and it seems like the game is starting to slow down for him. It looks like it took a year of pro-conditioning to overcome his college injury history and I give him high praise for his commitment to do just that. Alex is definitely a Pro-bowl level player.

5) Al-Quadin Muhammad - He was not a bad pick, but just got caught in a numbers game for the Saints. He is getting better every year, played a lot for the Colts and even started 4-games last year. Pretty darned good for the last draft choice by the Saints in 2017

6) Marcus Williams - Here's one that is "too early to tell." He polarizes us Saints fans. Even though he got roasted by some of us Who Dats for his duck and cover move last week, he was one of the highest-rated safeties by PFF last week and had a key interception. Physical skill-wise, he has Pro Bowl capability. Personally, I think Marcus will become a pro-bowl caliber player. So far, he has been a 3-year starter. I can only see a future where he continues to excel as the game slows down for him mentally

7) Ryan Ramczyk - Arguably the best Right Tackle in the league today and he is very young. Completely shutting down JJ Watt on MNF, the 1st time that has happened to Watt in his entire career, is a testament to Ryan's amazing skill. Ryan is Pro Bowl now. In such an unbelievably great draft, I tend to think Ryan was the best pick, better than Latt and Kamara. But that is so hard to even say because all 3 are sooooo elite, very young pros. The scary part for other teams is that Ryan is getting better every year.

All of these amazing young studs seem to have very high football IQs. They are all great teammates and except for Latt's offseason slip before his 2nd year, all these players devote themselves at very high levels to be the best they can be.

"Standing O" for Ireland, the scouts, the coaches and of course Sean Payton. If Loomis can keep these players in Black and Gold for another 5-7 years, this will be the greatest draft in the modern era of the NFL and a cornerstone to another SB with Brees and a yearly playoff contender post Brees. Who knows, maybe a Super Bowl team beyond Drew.

Have any of you ever seen a better draft? And I encourage all your insights even if it's in disagreement with me. Healthy debates with egos aside are one of the keys that make SR great,

I would say so

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom