Is the corner position suddenly a liability? (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Yes, Lewis was always hurt... But losing him leaves us scrambling to find quality no. 2/3 guys. Breaux is undoubtedly becoming one off the best corners in the NFL before our eyes. Our no. 1 corner spot is solidified. Breaux is good. Damn good. But we have seen that PJ still has a learning curve to experience and still has no regular season NFL experience. Neither do rookies DeVante Harris or Ken Crawley. I'm not so sure Damian Swann amounts to a starter and Cortland Finnegan has been passed around NFL teams more than grandmas famous pecan pie at Thanksgiving.

I don't know about you guys but I'm starting to become a bit concerned with the corner position. Can Bell fit as a corner in certain packages? Anyone else who might be able to step up?

Once Lewis wasn't able to get healthy we were put in a huge predicament. Now we have a bunch of young inexperienced guys fighting for two spots on the field. Yes, it's a major liability.

In the short term they might be, but don't be too fast to judge them without a front that can get pressure. I'm encouraged that they have tight coverage on a lot of balls but haven't mastered the turn eyes to ball yet. They also seem to give too much cushion at times but surely that must be the alignment calls for or they wouldn't do it. Also concerned that Harris had reputation for penalties in college. We certainly don't need another Browner situation where every third down is thrown in his direction to get penalty and automatic first down.

Yes, Lewis was always hurt... But losing him leaves us scrambling to find quality no. 2/3 guys. Breaux is undoubtedly becoming one off the best corners in the NFL before our eyes. Our no. 1 corner spot is solidified. Breaux is good. Damn good. But we have seen that PJ still has a learning curve to experience and still has no regular season NFL experience. Neither do rookies DeVante Harris or Ken Crawley. I'm not so sure Damian Swann amounts to a starter and Cortland Finnegan has been passed around NFL teams more than grandmas famous pecan pie at Thanksgiving.

I don't know about you guys but I'm starting to become a bit concerned with the corner position. Can Bell fit as a corner in certain packages? Anyone else who might be able to step up?

It's been a problem for years, and anyone who really thought Swann and Lewis were going to make a meaningful impact were blinded by their black and gold shades.

16 starts (all Breaux) for your top 3 CBs and possibly 3 UDFAs at the position....well you get the picture.

When we try to address early in the draft, we select SJB and Johnny Patrick types.

This is hardly a sudden liability. Has been, just like our LB's....the more sudden one is the oline play.

PJ Williams is looking better than I expected, think he's going to be a good contributor this year and beyond. Swann has shown ability to play in the NFL. Between Bell, Crawley, and Harris, I it's likely one of the rookies will rise up. Finnegan is known as a veteran gamer. The CB group will be fine as long as we can get some pressure from the D Line. The O line is what will hurt the Saints the most this year.

Finnegan needs to make the team and get a shot at nickel.

Having a veteran presence will help this young group on and off the field.

I'm not sure I would call them a liability. In a vacuum you may not have a ton of confidence, but they are just one group on defense. I see catches being made with generally good coverage, but they are so young that you have to expect that for a bit. If the pass rush gets better, I think they will shine a bit more.

I think we have more young NFL caliber talent in our Secondary than any other position group ...

I think if you let QB , any NFL QB , sit in the pocket for 4-5 seconds clean to throw the ball then you will get beat. Pass Defense in this league is driven by the ability to pressure the QB with your front 4. The Quarterbacks are too good to defend successfully if they are not pressured or moved off their spot.

I don't see any reason to panic over our CB/S group.

Your stress level goes down considerably after you consider this season a wash...and start prospecting our players 2-3 years from now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom