Is the Eli Apple addition helping Williams to play his position more naturally? (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
He's struggled mightily this year but much of that could be attributed to having to deal with anyone other than Lattimore doing a poor job convering receivers, up until we got Apple.

Now the big interception that put any thought of a comeback by the Bengals to bed today.

Here is to hoping Williams reverts to 2017 Williams for the rest of the season.

Apple is performing like a #2 corner to this point and it's helping the overall defense.

Good question OP. I have to go with yes, the defense seems to have more 3 and outs, more sacks, QB pressures, creating those INTs opportunities. Williams and Apple had INTs, and Apple could've had a 2nd!! QBs aren't throwing to Lattimores side so they have to go somewhere right? Lol, I'd hate to play us.

The answer is yes. A safety's job is much easier if the cornerbacks are doing their job. If nothing else he looks better because if the receiver isn't getting by the CB, then they sure aren't getting by the safety.

And if the CBs have good coverage on the WRs, it frees up the safeties to make plays on the ball.

Yes, Williams is very talented at being the last line of defense. Really impressed with his play. Apple has been good in my eyes so far.

That interception was the "Ed Reed" type of play we have been talking about all training camp.

Is it? Or are you more heavily scrutinizing his tackling because of the Diggs moment and noticing any and all mistakes?

I don’t think I am, I’ve forgiven him for the Diggs moment a long time ago. From what I’ve seen, he has not been that solid of a tackler this year. I’ve seen bad angles, head down whiffs, and someone that doesn’t seem to enjoy the contact. It’s much better than coleman though. Marcus is an awesome center fielder. A lot of his greatness goes unnoticed, but I think his overall tackling needs some solid work still.

I think Apple is getting more comfortable in man coverage .... Williams and Coleman are getting better ... But the one I am most impressed by is Alex Anzalone ... I think he is doing a phenomenal job ....

Is it? Or are you more heavily scrutinizing his tackling because of the Diggs moment and noticing any and all mistakes?
To be fair Marcus made the exact same (terrible) tackle on a TD against the rams last week.

Good post Kamara! I didn't realize you were Sproles!!! Who Dat Brother and now I know that's you, I feel better about your Coach Pete comments. You gotta love this season. Wow!

It's a combination of factors.

Last year we had a top 5 CB and a top 60 CB. Elite on one side Average on the other and then an above average FS. Now as a coordinator you are expecting maybe a little regression from Lattimore, improvement from Williams, and just sustaining from Crawley.

Then you get week 1. Two 100 yard WR's and tons of deep balls completed on you. All 3 had clearly regressed but DA admitted to putting a lot on Williams plate (probably in hopes to make up for the CB play. Lattimore slowly improved, Crawley continued to get worse, and Williams didn't do well with the new responsibilities.

Dennis Allen starts protecting the defense (less blitzing, more coverage, more cover 2) but not really playing to their strengths....because he couldn't.

Then in comes Eli Apple and DA pretty much uses the week 1 gameplan and what do you know...success this time around. Lattimore isn't top 5 but is playing above average, Apple has been about where Crawley was last year, and Williams had some responsibilities taken off his plate. Ironically the defense looks better.

So there were a lot of moving parts but a lot of it had to do with the entire secondary as a whole playing far worse than Allen anticipated to open the season and it put more pressure on other players and himself as a playcaller. I mean you gotta rmeember the secondary was supposed to be a strength this year and the weakspot the LB's. Nobody anticipated what we got week 1.

Yes, Williams is very talented at being the last line of defense. Really impressed with his play. Apple has been good in my eyes so far.

When coach Pete saw him play a few games in the 2nd half of last season, he said, "I don't know that kids name at FS, but he doesn't let anybody get past him. Great line of defense." Hopefully Williams gets back to that level.

And this year, our LBs have really upped their game in pass defense to help the CBs and Safeties

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom