Is the fix in for Taysom? (27 Viewers)

Ihartsaints

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Sticky Post
We have all heard the praise for Jameis from Payton, Jordan and the media all but anointing Winston the starter.

I expect that, if the goal is to draw JW back to the team. What is odd to me is the silence from the team, Taysom and his agent.

Taysom must be aware of the "You are not the one" vibe floating around. I would expect a bit more push back from him or his agent. Their silence sounds like complacency to me. Makes me wonder if there isn't a quiet deal at work here.

If Taysom has any doubt where he stands with the team, I just think there would be more buzz ...

Saint Lattimore

Out on bond... Best Lawyer $$ can buy though..
Reaction score
Sean has been on record saying that this will be a competition, and even in doing so he's explained multiple times his decision to go with Hill in Brees missed time with injury. He gave Taysom his word when he signed his contract that if Brees ever went down, he would get the shot at playing quarterback, and he stuck to his word. He said the plan was if Brees ever went down in the middle of a game, Jameis would take over (as we saw), but he was going to stick to his word and give Taysom the shot.

This is a new year and there is no more Brees. There's going to truly be a full evaluation as to who can truly run this offense successfully and give us the best chance to win football games. It's obvious that a competition will take place, proven more so by looking at the structure of Winston's contract. Taysom may win it, but the job isn't his right now.
I agree it will be a true competition... but I disagree that CSP started Hill last season solely because he gave Taysom his word.

The Saints were playing important games to secure playoff position, and if he really thought Winston would have given the Saints a better chance to win those games, it would have been Winston behind Center.

Nolan

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I agree it will be a true competition... but I disagree that CSP started Hill last season solely because he gave Taysom his word.

The Saints were playing important games to secure playoff position, and if he really thought Winston would have given the Saints a better chance to win those games, it would have been Winston behind Center.

You may disagree, but I'm just going on what he's said candidly in multiple times in interviews both to local media and a respected podcast. But even forgetting about what Sean has said, Winston was undoubtedly at a disadvantage with no real offseason with the team. I'll agree that Taysom gave us the best chance to win those games and keep our playoff position, but that's all over with. We're not 7-2 with the easy portion of our schedule coming up, and Brees isn't coming back. It's time to see which of these guys, if either, can be a franchise quarterback for us for the long-term.

nakadish

Reaction score
There is no math. It's logic.

Winston system back up for emergency probably won't be Hill. The system can't just be flipped mid game. You'll probably see Trevor Siemen be called in for emergency situations.

These mental gymnastics must be exhausting. You don't sideline an elite playmaker just to spite the Winston, because your guy lost.

If they didn't do that when Teddy was starting, why would they do that now?

And then there's, "How confident are the Saints with Winston starting?" If Winston does start, Taysom is still focusing only QB until the Saints are convinced that Winston is the future.

I love Taysom in the joker role as much as everyone else. But, those days are over. At best, we see a watered down joker like when Teddy was starting.

nakadish

Reaction score
Even Ian Book with his 4.6 speed and ability to extend plays, plays more like Taysom than he does Winston.

I actually thought before the draft that Book would be a decent backup for Tre Lance in a play-action scheme for Shanahan in SF. I didn't think that he would come here instead.

I can see the reasoning now if the idea was to establish a system primarily based around an athletic qb and a ball control offense.

Book's strengths are screens and Short intermediate passes and bootlegs.

I always thought that the draft would tip the Saint's hand as far as which way they were leaning for the starting QB. If they Saints expect Hill to start, I would think that they would want someone with a similar skillset to be the backup.

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If they didn't do that when Teddy was starting, why would they do that now?

And then there's, "How confident are the Saints with Winston starting?" If Winston does start, Taysom is still focusing only QB until the Saints are convinced that Winston is the future.

I love Taysom in the joker role as much as everyone else. But, those days are over. At best, we see a watered down joker like when Teddy was starting.
1. Payton is gonna make a commitment and things will be different for whoever starts. Payton isn't gonna get cold feet and start pulling players. He's gonna ride it out. Payton is stubborn like that.

2. Brees, Teddy,and Hill was the 3 active QBs. When Brees went down and only had two available QBs. Then, they took Hill off the field out of necessity. When they have Brees,Teddy, and Hill... They ran the system.

3. We currently have 3 active QBs with starting experience Winston, Hill,and Siemen. It could work the same exact way if Winston wins the starting job.

4. Those days are over if he wins the starting job or he refuses to be a team player and not do what's best for the team to win(Which a lot of Taysom fans want for some reason). I want to win games. What will win games? Winston reaching his potential and Hill being on the field at all times as a transition motion set playmaker at WR/TE/QB/RB. If he lost the QB battle and wants to be a Tim Tebow arrogant 2.0, journyman QB for bad teams... cool beans. Bye Felicia

5. Lastly... You can't just hold on to Taysom and protect him forever. You take the risk play him or you don't. The clock on his prime athleticism is ticking. I would take Hill off of SP Team, tho.

Reaction score
Taysom should be thrilled with the contract he received to be a joker / backup QB; nobody knows what’s really going to happen but I’d bet a lot of money nobody else in the league would guarantee him a starting position based off last years stint at starting.

He is best utilized in small situations; in space or obvious running downs.
Bad read. Taysom is not thrilled to be the joker/backup. The Saints know this and will give him every chance to win QB1. If not, they know he'll move on in 22.

AmerVet

The 1 Arm Receiver
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Taysom signed his deal. If he holds out because he unhappy, well thats just stupid. He knows that he had/has a shot at starting QB but the competition is strong. I think it's his job to steal in TC but if it doesn't work, he'd still be paid well as a backup and role player.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
No, it's not... It's simple math... If he loses the starting job in competition...

He's the only backup that can come in a keep the team competitive...

His days as a "Joker" player are over.

It's pretty simple... He's a QB now... He's either starter and the future... Or he's the backup to Winston this year, and he's out next year.

Questioning Taysoms' dedication to this team, or his selflessness is fairly silly at this point considering what he has already given up for this team, and his track record for doing any and everything he can to help the team win at any position.

I disagree with the notion of his joker days being over. If he loses the competition for the starter role there is no way we are paying him that kind of money to sit on the bench.

I think it is likely he will resume his prior role, possibly minus the ST....

Nonreg

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Bad read. Taysom is not thrilled to be the joker/backup. The Saints know this and will give him every chance to win QB1. If not, they know he'll move on in 22.

Unless he improves 110%, goodbye. He’s not a QB1 by what he showcased last year. He can make short term plays, but I don’t trust him to consistently deliver us through 17 games + playoffs.

That being said, if he beats out Winston that speaks poorly for Jameis.

Infoman

You're a Towel!
Reaction score
I disagree with the notion of his joker days being over. If he loses the competition for the starter role there is no way we are paying him that kind of money to sit on the bench.

I think it is likely he will resume his prior role, possibly minus the ST....

You're wrong... They have already paid him (signing bonus money - with like 4 voidable years tacked on to spread it). His base salary is like $1 Million - They already paid him the rest as a bonus. They also paid Teddy near as much to sit the bench, and be backup ready.

Again, He will not be training, dieting, working out, doing film work, being present in meetings, etc. this year that are not 100% about winning the QB position or playing the QB position - If his goal is to be the starting QB this year... And as far as I know, that's his plan, and Sean is going to give him the opportunity.

This is the first time in his career he will be given the opportunity to solely be a QB1... He will not be wasting that opportunity by splitting time in the TE room, ST room, or WR room... you can bet on that.

Should he lose... He's the primary backup - Like he was when Drew was hurt, and Teddy took over.... And his role as the Joker disappeared near completely then...

Also if he loses the starting job... He's gone in 2022...

We have seen the last of Taysom as the Joker.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
You're wrong... They have already paid him (signing bonus money - with like 4 voidable years tacked on to spread it). His base salary is like $1 Million - They already paid him the rest as a bonus. They also paid Teddy near as much to sit the bench, and be backup ready.

Again, He will not be training, dieting, working out, doing film work, being present in meetings, etc. this year that are not 100% about winning the QB position or playing the QB position - If his goal is to be the starting QB this year... And as far as I know, that's his plan, and Sean is going to give him the opportunity.

This is the first time in his career he will be given the opportunity to solely be a QB1... He will not be wasting that opportunity by splitting time in the TE room, ST room, or WR room... you can bet on that.

Should he lose... He's the primary backup - Like he was when Drew was hurt, and Teddy took over.... And his role as the Joker disappeared near completely then...

Also if he loses the starting job... He's gone in 2022...

We have seen the last of Taysom as the Joker.

No...you're wrong....and now you're IT!!!!!!

Saint Lattimore

Out on bond... Best Lawyer $$ can buy though..
Reaction score
Unless he improves 110%, goodbye. He’s not a QB1 by what he showcased last year. He can make short term plays, but I don’t trust him to consistently deliver us through 17 games + playoffs.

That being said, if he beats out Winston that speaks poorly for Jameis.
Based on 4 career starts (his first 4 starts at QB in approx 4 years).

There was another guy a few years back that played QB exclusively all through college... never had a major injury... and ended up a top draft pick...
His 1st 4 career starts he went 0-4, had 3 TDs and 11 INTs.

Was that a big enough sample size to write that guy off and say that he didn’t have what it takes to be a starting caliber NFL QB?

His coaches thought “no” and let him continue to work on it... that player was Peyton Manning.

...and before you tell me about how bad that Colts team sucked, he had Marshall Faulk, Marvin Harrison, Marcus Pollard, and Jerome Pathon among his weapons.

Point is, it takes more than 4 starts at QB to tell what a guy can/can’t do.

Groovepro

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Washington, La. (but touring nationally mostly)

There is a big myth on this "handshake" agreement to start Hill. If he felt Hill would not have given him the best chance to win these games, or specifically not to LOSE them, he wouldn't have started him. CSP is all about winning and TRUST. If he didn't trust Hill, he would NOT have put him in and rode through those games with him. People think Payton would jeopardize wins because he told a player he would start him if... Hell No! It is all about trust and the starter this season will be who CSP TRUSTS. It is Hill's to lose, basically.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom