Is the fix in for Taysom? (1 Viewer)

I’d say 5% chance Hill starts at QB unless Winston gets hurt
I’d say that’s 100% wrong.

Hill is making more $$ than Winston, and CSP has already made the decision to go with Hill over Winston when that decision needed to be made (in the midst of playoff race no less).

I would honestly say that Hill will have to lose the job to Winston... because at this point, the job is Hill’s

That sounds like a reason for Taysom Hill to be the starting QB.

With an offseason to focus on playing QB exclusively, and an offense schemed towards his strengths... Taysom Hill could run a version of the Baltimore offense with a CSP spin on it.

The fumbling issues can be fixed.

Taysom has the arm to make all of the throws... and folks posting video clips of Taysom under throwing Harris in the playoffs or Sanders in the 1st game vs Atlanta are being unfair IMO.
Hill came into that Vikings game as a 1-off play where he just chucked the ball up. Yes, Harris was wide open, but the ball was completed, and the underthrow was better than an overthrow...
The throw to Sanders was in Taysom’s 1st start at QB in like 4 years! ...and it came after only 1 week of practicing with the 1st team offense as the starter!

In the Denver game, CSP went on record saying that they basically scrapped their entire plan when they heard Denver was forced to start a PS WR at QB, and Taysom was told to take no chances and play extra careful!

The Philly game was a team loss, and yes, Taysom didn’t play well and made a critical fumble late, but again... that was his 4th start ever in the NFL. That loss was more on the defense and their inability to stop the run and Hurts more than anything.

Everyone just assumes that it will be Winston at QB... but everyone assumes the same thing last season when Brees got hurt... and it was Taysom.

That really is a lot of excuses. Not singling you out, because anyone who wants to make a case for Jameis will have to write up a list that long as well. The point I'm making is that I really do think this will be a competition. Both guys present risks, and both guys present upside in different ways.

That really is a lot of excuses. Not singling you out, because anyone who wants to make a case for Jameis will have to write up a list that long as well. The point I'm making is that I really do think this will be a competition. Both guys present risks, and both guys present upside in different ways.
I can agree with that. At the end of the day though... when the Saints needed a starting QB during the season (and jockeying for playoff position) they went with Taysom Hill... and the team went 3-1.

The size of the wrs and even TEs that they brought in are built almost exclusively for with the the idea of perimeter blocking in mind.

I have a hard time thinking this isn't by design with a heavy dose of QB sweeps and power runs in mind.
I don't see how this makes much difference since Jameis had big WRs/TEs in TB
Guys... Taysom will not be Training, Practicing, or working on being a "Jack of All Trades" or "Gadget" player anymore...

Get it right. Those days are over...

He's going to be just a QB now... Win or Lose... If he loses...

He's the straight up backup this year (because we can't afford to lose our #2 QB on a gadget or ST play) , and then he's outta here next year.

Which will hurt his true value with the team

I’d say that’s 100% wrong.

Hill is making more $$ than Winston, and CSP has already made the decision to go with Hill over Winston when that decision needed to be made (in the midst of playoff race no less).

I would honestly say that Hill will have to lose the job to Winston... because at this point, the job is Hill’s

Sean has been on record saying that this will be a competition, and even in doing so he's explained multiple times his decision to go with Hill in Brees missed time with injury. He gave Taysom his word when he signed his contract that if Brees ever went down, he would get the shot at playing quarterback, and he stuck to his word. He said the plan was if Brees ever went down in the middle of a game, Jameis would take over (as we saw), but he was going to stick to his word and give Taysom the shot.

This is a new year and there is no more Brees. There's going to truly be a full evaluation as to who can truly run this offense successfully and give us the best chance to win football games. It's obvious that a competition will take place, proven more so by looking at the structure of Winston's contract. Taysom may win it, but the job isn't his right now.

I don't see how this makes much difference since Jameis had big WRs/TEs in TB

It's not true... The only thing Hill said that his off season training will be tailored for QB. He never alluded to what would happen afterwards or ever implied that he is done being a gadget player.

He's doing what he should be doing and that is preparing to be fighting for a starting QB position.

Some people just want to be spiteful and try to take Hill completely off the table if he loses. Which is silly.

Only if he's the backup... but yeah.

In any case, that was the deal from get go... He'd come in and learn under Drew, and he'd use his physical gifts in the interim to help the team win during that apprenticeship - Until he got his opportunity to be a full time NFL QB once Drew retired.... At that point his focus has to be on that alone (being a QB).... This is that point in time. This has been the theme since day 1.

It's simple... There is no spite - May the best QB win... but at the end of the day... Taysom is a QB now. He has to be JUST a QB... If he wants to seriously win the starting job, or if he's going to be the primary backup to Winston... He has to be.

Anyone that thinks Taysom is going to train, workout, and study to start at QB for this team full time... and still put the time and effort it takes to play all his other positions going forward... has lost their marbles.... If he wants any realistic shot at being the Starting QB for the Saints (and he most certainly does) his has to put all of his time, effort, training, film work, diet, workout, etc. into that, and that alone.

His "joker" days are over in NOLA

Last edited:
Sean has been on record saying that this will be a competition, and even in doing so he's explained multiple times his decision to go with Hill in Brees missed time with injury. He gave Taysom his word when he signed his contract that if Brees ever went down, he would get the shot at playing quarterback, and he stuck to his word. He said the plan was if Brees ever went down in the middle of a game, Jameis would take over (as we saw), but he was going to stick to his word and give Taysom the shot.

This is a new year and there is no more Brees. There's going to truly be a full evaluation as to who can truly run this offense successfully and give us the best chance to win football games. It's obvious that a competition will take place, proven more so by looking at the structure of Winston's contract. Taysom may win it, but the job isn't his right now.
I agree it will be a true competition... but I disagree that CSP started Hill last season solely because he gave Taysom his word.

The Saints were playing important games to secure playoff position, and if he really thought Winston would have given the Saints a better chance to win those games, it would have been Winston behind Center.

I agree it will be a true competition... but I disagree that CSP started Hill last season solely because he gave Taysom his word.

The Saints were playing important games to secure playoff position, and if he really thought Winston would have given the Saints a better chance to win those games, it would have been Winston behind Center.

You may disagree, but I'm just going on what he's said candidly in multiple times in interviews both to local media and a respected podcast. But even forgetting about what Sean has said, Winston was undoubtedly at a disadvantage with no real offseason with the team. I'll agree that Taysom gave us the best chance to win those games and keep our playoff position, but that's all over with. We're not 7-2 with the easy portion of our schedule coming up, and Brees isn't coming back. It's time to see which of these guys, if either, can be a franchise quarterback for us for the long-term.

There is no math. It's logic.

Winston system back up for emergency probably won't be Hill. The system can't just be flipped mid game. You'll probably see Trevor Siemen be called in for emergency situations.

These mental gymnastics must be exhausting. You don't sideline an elite playmaker just to spite the Winston, because your guy lost.

If they didn't do that when Teddy was starting, why would they do that now?

And then there's, "How confident are the Saints with Winston starting?" If Winston does start, Taysom is still focusing only QB until the Saints are convinced that Winston is the future.

I love Taysom in the joker role as much as everyone else. But, those days are over. At best, we see a watered down joker like when Teddy was starting.

Even Ian Book with his 4.6 speed and ability to extend plays, plays more like Taysom than he does Winston.

I actually thought before the draft that Book would be a decent backup for Tre Lance in a play-action scheme for Shanahan in SF. I didn't think that he would come here instead.

I can see the reasoning now if the idea was to establish a system primarily based around an athletic qb and a ball control offense.

Book's strengths are screens and Short intermediate passes and bootlegs.

I always thought that the draft would tip the Saint's hand as far as which way they were leaning for the starting QB. If they Saints expect Hill to start, I would think that they would want someone with a similar skillset to be the backup.

If they didn't do that when Teddy was starting, why would they do that now?

And then there's, "How confident are the Saints with Winston starting?" If Winston does start, Taysom is still focusing only QB until the Saints are convinced that Winston is the future.

I love Taysom in the joker role as much as everyone else. But, those days are over. At best, we see a watered down joker like when Teddy was starting.
1. Payton is gonna make a commitment and things will be different for whoever starts. Payton isn't gonna get cold feet and start pulling players. He's gonna ride it out. Payton is stubborn like that.

2. Brees, Teddy,and Hill was the 3 active QBs. When Brees went down and only had two available QBs. Then, they took Hill off the field out of necessity. When they have Brees,Teddy, and Hill... They ran the system.

3. We currently have 3 active QBs with starting experience Winston, Hill,and Siemen. It could work the same exact way if Winston wins the starting job.

4. Those days are over if he wins the starting job or he refuses to be a team player and not do what's best for the team to win(Which a lot of Taysom fans want for some reason). I want to win games. What will win games? Winston reaching his potential and Hill being on the field at all times as a transition motion set playmaker at WR/TE/QB/RB. If he lost the QB battle and wants to be a Tim Tebow arrogant 2.0, journyman QB for bad teams... cool beans. Bye Felicia

5. Lastly... You can't just hold on to Taysom and protect him forever. You take the risk play him or you don't. The clock on his prime athleticism is ticking. I would take Hill off of SP Team, tho.

Taysom should be thrilled with the contract he received to be a joker / backup QB; nobody knows what’s really going to happen but I’d bet a lot of money nobody else in the league would guarantee him a starting position based off last years stint at starting.

He is best utilized in small situations; in space or obvious running downs.
Bad read. Taysom is not thrilled to be the joker/backup. The Saints know this and will give him every chance to win QB1. If not, they know he'll move on in 22.

Taysom signed his deal. If he holds out because he unhappy, well thats just stupid. He knows that he had/has a shot at starting QB but the competition is strong. I think it's his job to steal in TC but if it doesn't work, he'd still be paid well as a backup and role player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom