Is the fix in for Taysom? (3 Viewers)

No, the contract automatically voids.

No QB gets a 140 million dollar(Top 5 contract money) extension without elite production. It's absurd. That's Russell Wilson pay.

The point still remains. Why not offer a incentive based contract that keeps Taysom on the roster if he doesn't win the starting job?

If Payton does indeed go with Taysom, do you think that Payton's long term vision of the Saints and the NFL trend towards more athletic QBs has anything to do with the decision? It seems to me that there's more to it than just Taysom vs Winston.
No, I think he wants Winston to be the answer, a pocket passer. It's what this offense has been built around for 15 seasons.

The point still remains. Why not offer a incentive based contract that keeps Taysom on the roster if he doesn't win the starting job?
It’s probably his agent wanting to protect Hill "theoretical" value. I don't see any team having any interest is giving him that offer at 32 years old.

It was a silly contract. Gonna an interesting story down the road why does a bogus $140 million dollar contract exist. Half troll job, I suppose

If Payton does indeed go with Taysom, do you think that Payton's long term vision of the Saints and the NFL trend towards more athletic QBs has anything to do with the decision? It seems to me that there's more to it than just Taysom vs Winston.
That is an interesting point. I don't think it is a "follow the trend" per se, but just what he was dealt when had a Hill on the roster. If he hadn't been thrust into the "do it all" roles, he wouldn't have stayed on the roster with a legit chance to compete for being "the guy". Having seen that sort of player who just needs to be a trustworthy passer/game manager but who does have the ability to extend plays on numerous levels (which in a mindset, as well), I think he is intrigued with the notion because it surely opens up his playbook. If Winston does falter, you could see Book jump to #2 due if Hill sticks at #1 (either due to a benching or because he stayed starter) just due to his skillset. He has more to offer than Siemian as a passer. YES, a rookie coming in at QB and no guarantees, but he ticks a lot of the CSP boxes...even with NOT being a prototypical passer. But, I think that is the point. (Don't think I am saying Book is all world and will be our franchise QB...just using a bit of comparison and situation).

It’s probably his agent wanting to protect Hill "theoretical" value. I don't see any team having any interest is giving him that offer at 32 years old.

It was a silly contract. Gonna an interesting story down the road why does a bogus $140 million dollar contract exist. Half troll job, I suppose
I completely forgot about that contract. Feels like alot has happened since then

No, I think he wants Winston to be the answer, a pocket passer. It's what this offense has been built around for 15 seasons.
I think he wants who gives him the best chance to WIN. He almost re-wrote his playbook with Brees coming in. Brees was amazed that they ran so many of the same concepts, terminology and plays that Brees was used to. CSP incorporated a lot of what Drew did well and built an offense around him...as talked about in this interview. I have a few seasons of the Giant's offensive play books when CSP was there and it is pretty different than what he put together for the Saints. HE has a more "pocket passer" offense because he had Drew. He has been shown to tweak and work around his players more often than not. I know he doesn't want a "QB tuck/run" offense by any means, but there is intrigue with having a player who brings other aspects to the game.

How many fumbles did he have? How many wide open WR did he completely miss? It’s more than stats; it’s the ability to move the chains and score TDS. Sure Taysom was 3-1; but he was not an efficient QB. Winning against 3 very subjective teams does not make you Peyton Manning
He had 11 interceptions in 4 games, lol. That's a pace of 44 interceptions on the season.

Yeah Winston needs work too to become our true #1. His decision making is really his only knock. And to me coaching is what he lacked. Hell Brett Favre was a HOF QB and he threw alot of picks as well. It's that overconfidence that they can fit a ball anywhere. Drew had that when he was younger but the difference is he had world class accuracy and timing so he pulled it off.
I hear you on that. It isn't just his decision making, there are some pretty bad mechanical issues he has. He has a different "set up" and release on different throws...especially outs to the flat. He has a BEAUTIFUL deep ball when sets up and throws between the hashes. (Yes, the set up and release on a long, arching deep ball is different from intermediate/short. But, the ball should come out of the hand and over top consistently on all throws). The strong armed QB's have a problem with thinking because of their arm strength they can just "muscle" it into the receiver AFTER he is open and get it there fast enough to execute. They don't keep in mind that if you stare him down and then throw...it is still a late throw and projecting to D where it is going, giving them a great chance to make a play on the ball or converge. Jeff George had that problem. To a degree, Jeff Blake had that issue and would try to force a ball THROUGH levels of coverage as opposed to over. In NOLA, he developed a lot more touch and anticipation.

The difference with guys like Favre is that the "gamble" usually had a pay off. Sometimes, situationally, you HAVE to give it that shot...take it into your own hands and try to make the play...especially when know it could be magical. To a degree, you have some of that ability with Hill. He has tenacity, can run and or utilize those skills to escape if plays breakdown to extend TO pass. INTs or FUMBLES when committed errantly are different than those committed when making an aggressive play, in situations that could reap high benefits if successful. A player making an amazing play out of nothing and losing a fumble because of the effort is something to be able to live with if the result isn't always a TO. Consistent bad decisions resulting in TO's and points off TO's that aren't the result of extreme effort or a gamble worth taking (pick 6's with wide open WR in the flat or thrown straight to the D with no other reason than a horrible throw) are epic concerns and not tolerated.

He had 11 interceptions in 4 games, lol. That's a pace of 44 interceptions on the season.
We talking Winston with a broken thumb in his throwing hand missing his best pass catchers where he only had 30 INT for season not 44?

I really don't like this whole rabbit hole of past stats argument with Taysom or Winston. I'm pretty much in the driver seat of giving both of them a clean slate when the QB competition begins.

These stats anecdote really don't paint the picture from then and now from a players development perspective. If Winston is working as hard as he can to prove doubters wrong. So, is Taysom. I don't know what offseason program he runs in Utah, but I'm pretty sure that he isn't handing a job that he has been wanting for 5 years in the making on a silver platter to Winston.

I don't see that. Hill might be at a huge disadvantage due to passing talent, long term viability in question, and his skillet being better used a Flex player than a pocket passer. It still won't be easy for Winston.

Winston has got to show up like the franchise QB that he supposed to be, because if he doesn't blow the doors off this competition with the physical talent that he possess as a passer. It's going to be a long mediocre year.

This is a non-issue. One must clearly show that he is better than the other one. If one can't, then what difference does it make who starts?

Look, I get it... There are lot of people that want Winston to win the job, and Taysom to keep his role as the Joker... I realize that would be the best case scenario for the team (for Winston to be good enough to win the job)... I really do.... You get a Traditional QB and keep your Swiss Army Knife weapon...

The problem is... That's not going to happen.

Taysom is going to be a QB this year, whether he's a starter or a backup... he going to be a QB.

He's always said, his goal is to be a QB - Sean said he sees him as a QB - The FO told him he would get the opportunity to be a QB when Drew retired... He is going to spend the entire offseason working as ONLY a QB. He can not play his normal Joker role if he is the #2 QB....

If he doesn't win the starting role this year... He is gone next year.... to find a job as a QB.

People need to realize this going into the season.

I think you are off the mark tbh.

Which team is going to make taysom a starting QB if he doesnt win the job here ?
Lets be real, for both Jamies and Taysom this is their best and maybe last real chance to get a starting job. But Taysom especially... is a team really going to commit to a 32 year old who has little QB experience to be their starter (and assuming he doesnt get the job in NO has way too many ???). Not to mentioned his style of play is not a recipe to be long lasting. I think for his QB dream, its saints or nada.

I think you are off the mark tbh.

Which team is going to make taysom a starting QB if he doesnt win the job here ?
Lets be real, for both Jamies and Taysom this is their best and maybe last real chance to get a starting job. But Taysom especially... is a team really going to commit to a 32 year old who has little QB experience to be their starter (and assuming he doesnt get the job in NO has way too many ???). Not to mentioned his style of play is not a recipe to be long lasting. I think for his QB dream, its saints or nada.

In a league which in 2020 saw Mitch Trubisky, Andy Dalton, Gardner Minshew, Sam Darnold, Nick Mullens, Cam Newton, Drew Luck, Teddy Bridgewater, Nick Foles, Carlton Wentz be declared starters, I think someone will give Taysom at least the chance to come in and compete for the job.

As for Taysom's age, more than ever, the NFL stands for Not For Long: no FO plans for the next decade anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom