Is the pressure on Dennis Allen? (1 Viewer)

I think the defensive backfield has underperformed for the talent it has a couple years now. It has even more talent now. I believe that is supposed to be DAs strength. Aaron Glenn is part of that too.

This Defense has been running pretty well under Allen's guidance, I don't know exactly what Defense people on SR.com are comparing Allen's to but our defense has been pretty impressive the last few years outside of some hindsight plays.

If people payed attention to other teams you would probably have more respect for what Payton and Co. have built.

The pressure should be on him on 3rd downs and when teams go for it on 4th. It’s his Achilles heal and if it doesn’t change he should be gone. People can only blame the players for so long, then it comes down to scheme. We have had more than enough talent to underperform in must stop 3rd downs.

this thread is another one just like the "when will they call us choke artists" thread. Allen is a very good DC. He is not the best out there but he is the best we have had in a while. And he calls very solid games. The reason I compare it to the other thread is because it stems from seeing our roster through very rose colored glasses. I am not talking about this years roster but the ones over the past three years. Some really good players but some questionable depth in places for those years. And much of the disappointing came when injuries tested that depth. Saying that he should have done more because we were stacked is not seeing the roster in its truth IMHO.

This year the roster is more stacked than in those years but as always its going to take some luck too over the course of a full season.

No pressure on him imo.. if anything its coach sp the playcalling and offense has been horrible in the playoffs not to mention the turnovers by drew late in big games have cost the team the last few years. So theres room for blame to go around but the defense has held and done a pretty good job for the most of the time. when all you need is one good drive by the offense or a 3rd down conversion and the coach decides to be pass happy or call head scratching plays. sometimes hes to smart for his own good. 3 n 2 he wants to be aggressive and call a "shock play" instead of running and eating clock having control of the game.

DA is on notice but so is everyone else. Saints have the talent but the window is closing. They have to win this year because Brees will probably not return and the 2017 class wants to get paid. It’s SB or bust. If they don’t win another championship then it’s probably time to go in another direction.

On the subject of DA,... idk... I miss when he started here, we had less talent on D, but after opposing drive 2 or 3, he would dial it in and D would start smothering.

After half time he would make adjustments, and we were shutting teams out in the 3rd & 4th... what happened to that?

I wish I could still say that he was great at making adjustments, but I can't say that anymore. Not saying that he hasn't been good, not saying he has been great, but I am saying (imho) he does not make adjustment or scheme as well as he used to...

Just my feelings on the matter.

It should be, his D has choked the last 3 seasons in the playoffs (yes, I know we got jobbed by the refs in one of those games, but all the D had to do was make a stop)
Get real.

He has given us a Super Bowl defense the last 2 seasons and the offense hasn’t kept up when it matters.

Forget the end of the game, the offense should have been 21-0 up on the Rams. The D started fast the offense stuttered and it cost us. (It was special teams that gave up the trick play and let them back into the game)
The D held the Vikings to 20 points, the offense had 10 freaking points at HOME at the start of the 4th quarter.
And it was one miracle play in 2017, they held the number 2 seed to 23 points at their own stadium before that one freak play.

The defense has deserved to play in the Super Bowl, the offense not so much.

Last edited:
The offense is the reason we lost against Minnesota last season, not the defense.
Yeah, I hated it when those bums on offense let the Vikings march down in OT and score the winning TD. Or how about when they missed the tackle on the Vikings receiver, leading to the Minneapolis Miracle? Or when Brees missed the tackle on the 49ers TE on the 4th and 2, and then Kamara got that face mask penalty to take on another 15 yards?

Get real.

He has given us a Super Bowl defense the last 2 seasons and the offense hasn’t kept up when it matters.

Forget the end of the game, the offense should have been 21-0 up on the Rams. The D started fast the offense stuttered and it cost us. (It was special teams that gave up the trick play and let them back into the game)
The D held the Vikings to 20 points, the offense had 10 freaking points at HOME at the start of the 4th quarter.
And it was one miracle play in 2017, they held the number 2 seed to 23 points at their own stadium before that one freak play.

The defense has deserved to play in the Super Bowl, the offense not so much.
I disagree, its the playoffs, its supposed to be tough. The O put us in position to win and the D choked.

I disagree, its the playoffs, its supposed to be tough. The O put us in position to win and the D choked.
Last year all I saw was a tired defense because the offense couldn’t stay on the damn field. 3rd down play execution was terrible until the 4th quarter.
You can’t score 21 points at home in a playoff game? Blame the defense 😂

Saints are a finesse team that usually peaks before December. Pressure is on all units and coaches in December and January, because by that time, the good teams outcoach and outplay the Saints. I am usually far more disappointed in the offense than the defense when the party ends each year. For all the hype, the offense just does not play consistently or score enough points against top defenses in the playoffs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom