Is the pressure on Dennis Allen? (2 Viewers)

On the subject of DA,... idk... I miss when he started here, we had less talent on D, but after opposing drive 2 or 3, he would dial it in and D would start smothering.

After half time he would make adjustments, and we were shutting teams out in the 3rd & 4th... what happened to that?

I wish I could still say that he was great at making adjustments, but I can't say that anymore. Not saying that he hasn't been good, not saying he has been great, but I am saying (imho) he does not make adjustment or scheme as well as he used to...

Just my feelings on the matter.
I think we are missing Mike Nolan. I think he had way more input on the defense overall than we realize.

I think he gets fired if we don't go far in the playoffs this year, for sure. But I have to be honest, I believe the hot seat should be on Payton too, alot of this is on him as well. Love the guy, but it's true.

If hasn't gotten fired already.... You know the deal. Just like with the Dome Patrol.

Talented OC school this man every single time.

This is what I do not understand. And my premise is that our secondary is talented. Why is it that our secondary so often disappoints given the coaching reputation of Aaron Glenn and Dennis Allen's background as a defensive backs coach?

Just one question....how do you expect the team to win a game.....any game, if the defense can't get off the field on 3rd down plays?

That to me, was the problem the Saints lost the game against the Raiders....you can blame the offense all you want, but if the D can't get off the field on 3rd down plays.....they will not win the game...period!

It's funny how before DA came back to us, we all prayed for a defense that could stay around middle of the pack because our offense was so good. Remember those days? Our defense was statistically the worst defense is NFL history? In come DA and for the past few years our defense has been in the top 10 but somehow our Offense fell off.

I do agree that DA's ability to adapt and change during the game has gotten worse. Like against the Raiders, the TE Waller was pretty much their only receiving threat and he was beating every CB/S that we put on him. IMO DA should have moved Lattimore to cover Waller and let Jenkins, PJ, and CGJ cover the WR's. Don't give Carr the easy throw, make him think and have to use everyone.

First, let me say that I like Dennis a lot.

However I think we all know that our defenses usually start out slow. There is no question that this team is loaded and if we do indeed get Clowney the Dline could be downright scary.

I guess I'm just hoping that our defense can finally start out fast. I have great faith that Payton and Brees will have the offense clicking.
Other than managing to field a good run defense, which maybe is also attributable in part to Mike Nolan's influence, and delivering a defense that doesn't suck, but isn't great (which for a Saints fan of this era feels like a gargantuan achievement) ...what in particular do we like about him, that makes you feel confident inside 2 minutes in a close, important game?

It's funny how before DA came back to us, we all prayed for a defense that could stay around middle of the pack because our offense was so good. Remember those days? Our defense was statistically the worst defense is NFL history? In come DA and for the past few years our defense has been in the top 10 but somehow our Offense fell off.

I do agree that DA's ability to adapt and change during the game has gotten worse. Like against the Raiders, the TE Waller was pretty much their only receiving threat and he was beating every CB/S that we put on him. IMO DA should have moved Lattimore to cover Waller and let Jenkins, PJ, and CGJ cover the WR's. Don't give Carr the easy throw, make him think and have to use everyone.
Defensive ranking may not tell the truth when it comes to an inability to get off the field on crucial 3rd downs. Allen likes to bring pressure on 2nd down and play soft on third...I'm a novice and if I notice it, Gruden and others certainly do. No adjustment to take away Waller. Safeties played historically badly. And how does PJ keep finding his way onto the field? I'm not sure how he got re-signed, much less into the starting defensive alignment.

Other than managing to field a good run defense, which maybe is also attributable in part to Mike Nolan's influence, and delivering a defense that doesn't suck, but isn't great (which for a Saints fan of this era feels like a gargantuan achievement) ...what in particular do we like about him, that makes you feel confident inside 2 minutes in a close, important game?
Obviously none of us know what the actual scheme or assignments are on most defensive plays, especially zone defense. I do think DA like Payton tries to be to cute with his play calling, especially on 3rd downs. I do think a lot of it is on the players. How many 3rd and Longs have we given up over the past 3 years? A Lot! And mostly due to PI's or missed tackles, not so much that the player was just wide open which leads me to think a lot of the miscues are on the players more so than the coach. The Minnesota Miracle was pretty much solely on Marcus Williams. The Kittle play last year was a missed tackle short of the 1st down if I remember correctly, then a few more missed tackles, and then the face mask penalty. Monday night on 3rd & 10 the defense had that run stopped and was driving him out of bounds short of the 1st down but it's like they gave up thinking he was going out of bounds and he cut up field for a TD. Same with the PI on Jenkins in the last few minutes against Ruggs. DA deserves criticism for the play of the defense but it's still up to the players to execute.

I think we are missing Mike Nolan. I think he had way more input on the defense overall than we realize.
This is very possible.

But Allen is going to be here a while. He’s Payton’s guy. History shows with the likes of Greg McMahon, Joe Vitt etc Payton is slow to find accountability with his guys.

I wish his ego could co-exist with another proven Heavyweight coach but seems like the Dennis Allens are what you will get at DC.

He should be, Deuce keeps giving me the argument that a mediocre coach needs elite talent. However, elite talent still needs to be put in positions to succeed and despite specializing secondary coach + having a former DB in Glenn Allen they don't consistently succeed.

It's like when the 49ers went from Mike Singletary to Jim Harbaugh with roughly the same talent.

Obviously none of us know what the actual scheme or assignments are on most defensive plays, especially zone defense. I do think DA like Payton tries to be to cute with his play calling, especially on 3rd downs. I do think a lot of it is on the players. How many 3rd and Longs have we given up over the past 3 years? A Lot! And mostly due to PI's or missed tackles, not so much that the player was just wide open which leads me to think a lot of the miscues are on the players more so than the coach. The Minnesota Miracle was pretty much solely on Marcus Williams. The Kittle play last year was a missed tackle short of the 1st down if I remember correctly, then a few more missed tackles, and then the face mask penalty. Monday night on 3rd & 10 the defense had that run stopped and was driving him out of bounds short of the 1st down but it's like they gave up thinking he was going out of bounds and he cut up field for a TD. Same with the PI on Jenkins in the last few minutes against Ruggs. DA deserves criticism for the play of the defense but it's still up to the players to execute.
When you have a player you know is a poor tackler or tends to freeze in the big moment, you don't ask him to be the last line of defense. Other coaches now know Marcus Williams one on one is something you might want to probe, especially with the game on the line hoping he will wilt.

There was a lot of league coaching analysis of the scheme on the Minneapolis Miracle and it was heavily criticized as not the best call in that situation.

i think there is pressure on DA but also on Aaron Glenn...i don't feel he has gotten the most of the secondary over the past couple of years

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom