Is the Ravens defense really that good? (1 Viewer)

Saint Droopy

Born/Raised in Hollygrove
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yes the Ravens have a tradition for great defense, but are we reading too much into this #3 ranked defense? Let's take a look at their opponents...

- Week 1 they played TB.. not your dynamic offense by no means... Can't really give them dap on that performance...

- Week 2 they played Oakland... hell... I'd take TB's offense over Oakland's...

- Week 3 they played Cleveland... again... another offense that doesn't make anybody shiver in they're boots...

- Week 4 they played San Diego... and this is BEFORE Marty actually let Phillip Rivers throw the ball...

- Week 5 they played against Denver... Another offenseive powerhouse to say the least...

- Week 6 they got destroyed defensively by Jake D, Steve Smiff, and D. Foster...

These guys were GREAT in their day, but this is not Oakland that they're playing this week... I see another 400+ yard day laid on them. Not that I don't repect them, but they have only been tested ONE TIME against a team that's not really known to put up huge offensive numbers (Carolina)... and in their own house even.

Saints 31
Ravens 16

Hard to tell with that schedule. I don't really think it matters either way. If Payton calls a good game and Drew executes as he has been, we will put up enough points to score more than their Offense. I think it will still be a low scoring game, somewhere around 20-12.....Saints

But, I won't be surprised if we throw up 30 either.......

Yes the Ravens have a tradition for great defense, but are we reading too much into this #3 ranked defense?

No, I think the Ravens defense is still clearly a top NFL defense. It doesn't matter who they've played -it's the NFL and over 1/3rd of the season is in the books - so I'd say the Raven's stats indicate a top NFL defense and not one that is "overrated".

So, if the Saints come out of tomorrow with a "W", we can all be proud.

There overrated, but still good. I think we win it 21-13 or something like that but I also think we are more then capable of putting up 30 points on them. They're good but not that good.

I haven't looked at the stats of the Ravens defense, but when I personally want to evaluate how good a defense is, I like to see how many points that defense allows. To me its not about how many yards a defense gives up, its how many points it gives up. Points are where winners and losers are decided.

I think their defense is good, but I don't think they are head and shoulders above Philly, Tampa Bay and Carolina's defenses and we were able to move the ball and score on them. The way some folks carry on about the Raven's D you'd think it was still Y2K and not 2006.

i guess we'll have a better idea in about 16 hrs...

They are that good. It will be a very tough game for us. We will see where our offense stacks up.

All I'm saying is... they HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED THIS SEASON... the teams that they played are not known for scaring opposing DCs...

The Saints have played some pretty good defensive teams this year, and is 7th in offense, and somewhere up there in scoring (7th with 24 points per game)...

On the other hand... the Ravens played against:

Tampa Bay 14.2 ppg
Oakland 12 ppg
Cleveland 14.7
San Diego 29.7
Denver 13.2
Carolina 17.6

All questions will be answered tomorrow.

You could say the same thing about our offense.
Look at the defenses we have played.

Cleveland (22nd)
Green Bay (32nd)
Atlanta (20th)
Carolina (17th)
Tampa Bay (27th)
Philadelphia (16th).

We have not played one team with a defense ranked in the top half of the league.

As far as Baltimore goes, the are very good against the run and have used 6 and 7 people to stop the opponents rushing game leaving a lot of players against the pass. They aren't great at rushing the passer and Carolina proved that you throw against them but our passing game is very different to Carolina. We will see in a few hours.

I think we will have to do most our damage through the air.

You could say the same thing about our offense.
Look at the defenses we have played.

Cleveland (22nd)
Green Bay (32nd)
Atlanta (20th)
Carolina (17th)
Tampa Bay (27th)
Philadelphia (16th).

We have not played one team with a defense ranked in the top half of the league.

As far as Baltimore goes, the are very good against the run and have used 6 and 7 people to stop the opponents rushing game leaving a lot of players against the pass. They aren't great at rushing the passer and Carolina proved that you throw against them but our passing game is very different to Carolina. We will see in a few hours.

Well, now I'm scared. I hope we can move it. I think we'll do better against their weak secondary than up the gut against those LBs... That being said...

Saints 20
Ravens 16

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom