Is the running game overrated as part of the modern NFL? (1 Viewer)

There are rules advantages to the passing game in the modern NFL.

Most flags on a passing play are on the defense.
Most flags on a running play are on the offense.

You can complete a pass without completing the pass which makes it more efficient than in golden days.

This simply cannot be understated. Other than offensive holding (where you don't lose a down), there really aren't any penalties called against the offense. There are a slew of defensive penalties that can now be called, and darn near all of them carry an automatic first down.

Those old Peyton/Colts teams had it right, they just didn't have the postseason QB to pull it off and win a ton of Super Bowls. Well, and Tom Brady.............

Throw it all around on offense with a HOF QB, and build your defense with DE's 1st, a solid secondary 2nd (either by talent or by scheme), and fast LB's 3rd.

who was it that said "when you throw the ball, three things can happen and two of them are bad"?

I think it was Darrell Royal, the old coach for Texas.

And I don't think running the ball will ever leave the game. It's just done a little differently now, with the rules so slanted against hard tackling (and pass defense in general, if anyone else saw last week's game :hihi: ).

Running backs are smaller than they used to be because they're used as receivers now. The tall tailbacks of old like Simpson, Dickerson, Muncie, Sims, Allen and others began in the 90s to give way to shorter backs....E. Smith, B. Sanders, A. Peterson, others.

This simply cannot be understated. Other than offensive holding (where you don't lose a down), there really aren't any penalties called against the offense. There are a slew of defensive penalties that can now be called, and darn near all of them carry an automatic first down.

Those old Peyton/Colts teams had it right, they just didn't have the postseason QB to pull it off and win a ton of Super Bowls. Well, and Tom Brady.............

Throw it all around on offense with a HOF QB, and build your defense with DE's 1st, a solid secondary 2nd (either by talent or by scheme), and fast LB's 3rd.

I would flip your no. 1 and 2 around. A shutdown corner can take away half the field, and a good corner on the other side with safety help can take away the other side, whereas a great edge rusher is only as productive as the secondary behind him and his interior rush (as we saw in the Denver-Carolina Kickoff Thursday game.)

QB mobility, spread sets/quick passing and weaponized TEs have largely negated the old “prop up a mediocre secondary by getting to the QB in 2.5 seconds” trick. That’s why Seattle’s defense works and Spagnuolo’s doesn't. Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett aren't really that special in the grand scheme of things, Sherman and Thomas stir that drink.

RBs yes
The run game no

The need for a superstar RB (although if you land one it is a great thing) has tremendously been devalued in the past 5 years. The running game is vital, but that is more of the outcome of the outline and less on the RB. Case in point would be the Cowboys. They have an unbelievable oline and hence why they let Murray walk for nothing. Same thing with the Saints. Year in and out we grab random UDFAs and are able to be successful with them.

I just don't think there is simple associated science if run game is pinnacle success in the NFL and very much true when it comes to playoff. You have to do both of those well to win in the playoff unless you have an elite defense. Panther was the best rushing team in the league last year and in the post season. It didn't matter. Hell, looking back through the last 15 years. The best rushing team in the season or in the playoff never pulled off a championship ring.

I'm a firm believer if it is effective. Then, exploit. I'm 100% against people yelling at the top of their lung that we need to run the ball more when we averaging 2.5 yard per carry on 18 carries. That is basically 10-12 wasted plays and the be a great offense. You don't have wasted plays and avoid using an ineffective gameplan in favor of the more effective gameplan. I rather put the game in the HOF player behind center.

Same debate that came up with the K-gun back in the 90's...

Then the Giants beat the Bills in the SB.

The answer to that question is actually what type of offensive line do you have? If you have a pass blocking o-line that can hold up no matter what for short crossing routes or flares then your team doesn't need to run because 3 step drops and extended hand offs can work just as well as the run. If you don't have the QB and the o-line to run that system then running is required to keep the defense honest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom