Is the term blacklisted racist? (1 Viewer)

We are having a discussion at work to remove the term blacklist (and whitelist) from software development documentation and processes because its racist.

Here is some more context: In a software updater program, we will have some drivers blacklisted to not update.

If the company didn’t say they were making the change because they thought it was racist, but instead said they were making the change because they wanted to do their part in no longer associating black with bad and white with good, would anyone feel differently about the change?

If everyone is racist, then no one is. :hihi:

Racism has such a wide spectrum.

It can be that you have sub-conscious, barely detectable bias towards or against a specific race or just that some people have that perception; all the way to, you want a race completely destroyed and you are making it your life goal to do so.

So when someone says something is racist, you have to think where on the scale it is.
blacklist - arguably not on the scale
crazy German vegetarian - probably pretty far on the scale

If you are a white person, it's time to stop using black emojis, gifs, and memes

TLDR: It is the digital equivalence of blackface, cultural appropriation, and "taking up space"

f9e.gif

Last edited:
If you are a white person, it's time to stop using black emojis, gifs, and memes

TLDR: It is the digital equivalence of blackface, cultural appropriate, and "taking up space"

f9e.gif
Sigh

The new jingle is cute. It's amazing how many things white people used for racist purposes. There's probably a thousand other instances of this.

I remember years ago a couple flight stewards (southwest?) got some Attention because a passenger complained about them singing “eeny meeny miney moe, catch a tiger by the toe”

Apparently the original lyrics was catch a “n-word” instead of tiger which I didn’t know and don’t know how many people do

Edit: found it, happened in 2003

I remember years ago a couple flight stewards (southwest?) got some Attention because a passenger complained about them singing “eeny meeny miney moe, catch a tiger by the toe”

Apparently the original lyrics was catch a “n-word” instead of tiger which I didn’t know and don’t know how many people do

If that was written today, pretty sure whoever wrote that article would be looking for work about now
Even though I agree that the lawsuit was a bit much

I've heard it both ways, but honestly always thought the original and true version was tiger.

If that was written today, pretty sure whoever wrote that article would be looking for work about now
Even though I agree that the lawsuit was a bit much

I thought the same thing reading the article

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom