Is there a correlation between the fleur-de-lis and saints? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I've been a Saints fan for 16 years but I've never thought about this until now. Is there a direct correlation between the fluer-de-lis and saints? I know that the fluer-de-lis has a lot to do with New Orleans, but does it have anything to do with actual saints? Sorry for the noob question, but thanks for any help on the question.

Yep, its the team's logo.

OK, OK.

Its French, symol of the House of Bourbon. Hey, you gotta love that name!

In America, Canada and, yes, Louisiana.

ddd

I have always been told it represents the trinity as well. So that would be a religious connection to the saints.

I've been a Saints fan for 16 years but I've never thought about this until now. Is there a direct correlation between the fluer-de-lis and saints? I know that the fluer-de-lis has a lot to do with New Orleans, but does it have anything to do with actual saints? Sorry for the noob question, but thanks for any help on the question.

I actually started a thread a couple of years ago explaining the symbolism of the fleur de lis.

The Fleur de lis is french for Lily (Flower of the Lily)
The french Monarchy chose the fluer de lis as its emblem (kings still chose an individual emblem as well, i.e. Louis XIV chose the sun- The Sun King)

It is also believe that the fleur de lis symbolize the holy Spirit.

The fleur de lis is on the helmut to symbolize the french heritage of New Orleans and Louisiana.

The name, Saints, originate from when the franchise was awarded to the city--- All Saints Day.

--

Last edited:
Sort of... the Fleur de lis is a symbol of Christianity as well as being used to symbolize the Holy Trinity with the three petals. A white Lily has also been used to represent the Virgin Mary. So specifically with Saints in general, as in the religious term "Saint", I'm not sure. But religious connotations, yes.

a fleur di lis is a symbol for the water lilly that used to surround the city of new orleans in the swamps. explorers would mark it around the are as a type land mark or trail

Yes, the religious slant posts are right:

"As a religious symbol it may represent the Holy Trinity, or be an iconographic attribute of the archangel Gabriel, notably in representations of the Annunciation.[2] It is also associated with the Virgin Mary."

I don't know what 'iconographic attribute' means, nor the Annunciation, but this is on wikipedia, and is a decent read for history buffs! Hopefully, none of them are here now, LOL!

ddd

I actually started a thread a couple of years ago explaining the symbolism of the fleur de lis.

The Fleur de lis is french for Lilly (Flower of the Lilly)
The french Monarchy chose the fluer de lis as its emblem (kings still chose an individual emblem as well, i.e. Louis XIV chose the sun- The Sun King)

It is also believe that the fleur de lis symbolize the holy Spirit.

The fleur de lis is on the helmut to symbolize the french heritage of New Orleans and Louisiana.

The name, Saints, originate from when the franchise was awarded to the city--- All Saints Day.

--

I remember that thread and tried searching for it, but it may have been on the old site.

"As a religious symbol it may represent the Holy Trinity, or be an iconographic attribute of the archangel Gabriel, notably in representations of the Annunciation.[2] It is also associated with the Virgin Mary."

I don't know what 'iconographic attribute' means, nor the Annunciation, but this is on wikipedia, and is a decent read for history buffs! Hopefully, none of them are here now, LOL!

ddd

LMAO,... I am a social studies teacher :ezbill:
and.... in the old thread we went into french history in great detail. :mwink:

--

ddd
An "iconographic attribute" is a fancy term for "symbol." The Annunciation is when Archangel Gabriel announced to Mary that she would give birth to the Son of God.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom