Is there any chance Kenny Phillips drops to the second round? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
supposedly, he is a horrible tackler. Even if he did fall, i think he will turn out as another bullocks. Would he be an upgrade over bullocks? I dont know... He has his ways of Disappearing in games at the u. any thoughts? If he does fall do we draft him? How do yall feel about this? I think that barret out of ASU is a better safety than he is ...

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1303

"2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report
Kenny Phillips may not have quite the hype as someone like Sean Taylor heading into the NFL Draft, but the safety is not far behind. Phillips is widely considered the best safety available this year and the Florida native ended his productive collegiate career at Miami a year early to try his luck in the big leagues.

At 6-2 and 210 pounds, Phillips has great size and will not need to work on anything from a physical standpoint to be a big contributor in the NFL, or even a perennial pro bowler. He is extremely aggressive and quick and will use those skills in pass coverage and covering the run. In this day and age of big hitting safeties, Phillips certainly fits the bill, but he did have seven interceptions during his three year career in Miami and his coverage ability is often overlooked in favor of his big hits.

The only possible downside of the 2007 All-ACC First Team honorees game is he can occasionally look to make the big play over the reliable play. Yet, that is getting a little too picky. Phillips will go in the top half of the first round and will likely be a top ten pick if his pre-draft numbers are as good as expected.

2/28 Update: Kenny Phillips was on the slow end of his usual 40-yard dash time at the Combine. It should not really matter that much, but some teams with a pick in the top ten might think twice before taking Phillips. Either way, he is the most dominating safety in the draft and will be a first round selection."

Where did you get he is a horrible tackler? He'll go mid 1st round. If he did fall to the 2nd we'd be insane not to select him.

I would think he would be picked by someone in the back end of the 1st, possibly by the Giants.

Teams in the 1st round that cannot pass on Kenny Phillips:

Redskins
Chargers
Giants

He keeps sliding.

I've been seeing more and more mocks with him in the late 1st early second. I would say it is VERY possible.

Hrm

Not all safeties from the U turn out to be world beaters.

example: Brandon Merriweather. Last year the Pats picked him, and he was the #1 rated safety, and also out of Miami. Huge dissapointment for them.

Not all safeties from the U turn out to be world beaters.

example: Brandon Merriweather. Last year the Pats picked him, and he was the #1 rated safety, and also out of Miami. Huge dissapointment for them.

Maybe not, but the fact remains that theres zero chance the Redskins pass on him if hes there at their pick.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1303

"2008 NFL Draft Prospect - Scouting Report
Kenny Phillips may not have quite the hype as someone like Sean Taylor heading into the NFL Draft, but the safety is not far behind. Phillips is widely considered the best safety available this year and the Florida native ended his productive collegiate career at Miami a year early to try his luck in the big leagues.

At 6-2 and 210 pounds, Phillips has great size and will not need to work on anything from a physical standpoint to be a big contributor in the NFL, or even a perennial pro bowler. He is extremely aggressive and quick and will use those skills in pass coverage and covering the run. In this day and age of big hitting safeties, Phillips certainly fits the bill, but he did have seven interceptions during his three year career in Miami and his coverage ability is often overlooked in favor of his big hits.

The only possible downside of the 2007 All-ACC First Team honorees game is he can occasionally look to make the big play over the reliable play. Yet, that is getting a little too picky. Phillips will go in the top half of the first round and will likely be a top ten pick if his pre-draft numbers are as good as expected.

2/28 Update: Kenny Phillips was on the slow end of his usual 40-yard dash time at the Combine. It should not really matter that much, but some teams with a pick in the top ten might think twice before taking Phillips. Either way, he is the most dominating safety in the draft and will be a first round selection."

Where did you get he is a horrible tackler? He'll go mid 1st round. If he did fall to the 2nd we'd be insane not to select him.

Bonchie, you have been as big an advocate for Phillips as Mike Mayock was for Jay Culter. I am starting to wonder if you are Phillips or someone closely related. J/K. But seriously, it is VERY UNLIKELY that Phillips will go in the mid-first round. Heck, to be honest, he might not even go late first. I think you are overrating his abilities but we have had that discussion. This is not an attempt to rehash it. I think the young man has some talent and is a good football player with a good head on his shoulders. But he's not the top-flight safety that you can choose as the centerpiece of your defense. He's a guy who can be a solid role player. He's not Ed Reed or Sean Taylor by any stretch of the imagination.

Bonchie, you have been as big an advocate for Phillips as Mike Mayock was for Jay Culter. I am starting to wonder if you are Phillips or someone closely related. J/K. But seriously, it is VERY UNLIKELY that Phillips will go in the mid-first round. Heck, to be honest, he might not even go late first. I think you are overrating his abilities but we have had that discussion. This is not an attempt to rehash it. I think the young man has some talent and is a good football player with a good head on his shoulders. But he's not the top-flight safety that you can choose as the centerpiece of your defense. He's a guy who can be a solid role player. He's not Ed Reed or Sean Taylor by any stretch of the imagination.

Yeah I know you think that and thats fine, but hes still going to go mid first round 12-23ish IMO.

The first team I see him possibly going too is Denver.

Last edited:
supposedly, he is a horrible tackler.

and where did you hear that? he rarely misses tackles. this coming from someone who watched him all year

Even if he did fall, i think he will turn out as another bullocks.

youre basing this upon what? a guess? when did you see him play?

Would he be an upgrade over bullocks?

duh

I dont know... He has his ways of Disappearing in games at the u

and once again, when did you see him play? he had his big games, just like everybody, but he was above average every game IMO

any thoughts? If he does fall do we draft him? How do yall feel about this?
not happening.

I think that barret out of ASU is a better safety than he is ..

hahahaha..ok

When you say second, I assume you mean 41 where we pick. In that case, no. But there is a chance he falls out the first. The Eagles will take either a S or a WR. The safety from NC State is rumored to be better and climbing up the draft boards, both before and after the combine. Who knows? The top DT last year fell to the second round, and Arizona traded up to grab Alan Branch I think with the first pick of round two. So I won't say it is impossible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom