Is there really a market for Teddy Bridgewater? (2 Viewers)

Here is the thing. They wont have to literally tell him. They just wont pay him. They definitely won't pay him more than the last contract. If he feels he is worth more, he can go to another team. If the Saints were planning on keeping him long term, they would have guaranteed the entire 50 mil extension back in 2018. He's a HOF QB. Why would they not? He saw the writing on the wall with the last extension.
He only wants 1 year deals. The extra years are fake years added in in order to spread the hit out. I call them fake years because the contract automatically voids if there is not a knew contract by a specific date.

Washington ain’t going anywhere with Haskins. He wasn’t even good at Ohio State. They’ll trade him to make room or make him the backup. Bridgewater would have a good situation there with that defensive line, and no young replacement since they’re drafting Chase Young instead of a QB.

Washington ain’t going anywhere with Haskins. He wasn’t even good at Ohio State. They’ll trade him to make room or make him the backup. Bridgewater would have a good situation there with that defensive line, and no young replacement since they’re drafting Chase Young instead of a QB.

Haskins is friends with Daniel Snyder's son. They went to high school together and Snyder himself used to go watch Haskins' games.

I don't think Washington hired Rivera to go find another QB.

The majority of NFL media projects him to the Chargers, Bears, Bucs, even Patriots and Panthers quite regularly. Historically when a QB has this level of offseason speculative buzz, they end up starting with a new team. Jimmy G or Kirk Cousins probably the most recent example of this. So historically speaking, yes there is a strong market for Teddy Bridgewater.

Haskins is friends with Daniel Snyder's son. They went to high school together and Snyder himself used to go watch Haskins' games.

I don't think Washington hired Rivera to go find another QB.

for whatever it's worth the Redskins' new Offensive Coordinator is Scott Turner who was Teddy's QB coach in Minnesota and is a huge fan and believer of Teddy.

IMO Chicago is the perfect place for Teddy. They have a great defense, strong running game, and decent receivers and TE’s. They are a heavy run team which will allow Teddy to use play action and short passes.
And don't forget that Teddy is like 5-0 lifetime playing the Bears and is quite comfortable and familiar with starting in the cold of the NFC North.

I don't think it was clear how healthy he would be. Also, it's one thing to sign him to compete, or to be a #2. But to have him as your starter, have him get injured, and then decide to extend (with the logical understand he would be your #1) is a more complicated situation.

I strongly believe part of the reason he didn't get signed by the Vikings was because they couldn't bear to have him endure an injury like that in front of our home fans. They simply weren't going to take that chance as a #1 QB in Minnesota.

From accounts I've heard, the injury was tremendously gruesome and if not for excellent and immediate care, he could have lost his leg. We all hope he stays healthy, but it was simply a risk the Vikings didn't want to deal with considering there were other alternatives that didn't carry that emotional risk.
Based on the medical reports they were given, Zimmer and the Vikings brass felt that Teddy would never be the same player again on that knee, and didn't want to risk that so let him go. As it turns out they were 100% wrong and his knee has been a non-issue showing all signs of a complete recovery. But everyone moved on and with how contracts align, a reunion is near impossible. But one team's loss is another team's gain and the Saints were the big winners from this!

I'll betcha a quarter that Jon Gruden would be very interested in a one-year deal with Brees. Yeah, I'm afraid that's a fit

IF, and that's a big IF Drew Brees ever played for another team, the only one i could picture is the Chargers in a LeBron/Kevin Garnett sort of deal. Like a bookend as his swan song.

Based on the medical reports they were given, Zimmer and the Vikings brass felt that Teddy would never be the same player again on that knee, and didn't want to risk that so let him go. As it turns out they were 100% wrong and his knee has been a non-issue showing all signs of a complete recovery. But everyone moved on and with how contracts align, a reunion is near impossible. But one team's loss is another team's gain and the Saints were the big winners from this!

He did a good job filling in for Brees. That's for sure.

But my point was to list him as your #1 starter is different than bringing him in as a backup.
Minnesota keeping him and not having him as their #1 would have been a demotion for Teddy. So either Minnesota had to sign him as their #1 or not. They chose not to because they wanted to try to find a better option. Whether that option is better or not is now hindsight and still is at best debatable.

The Jets signed him and moved on quickly and didn't keep him as a "mentor" for their new QB.

I think Teddy is building the case that he could be a starter again, but any team that goes with him as their starter will likely have a strong contingency plan (or I feel they should). That's just my opinion.

But my point was to list him as your #1 starter is different than bringing him in as a backup.
Minnesota keeping him and not having him as their #1 would have been a demotion for Teddy. So either Minnesota had to sign him as their #1 or not. They chose not to because they wanted to try to find a better option. Whether that option is better or not is now hindsight and still is at best debatable.

The Jets signed him and moved on quickly and didn't keep him as a "mentor" for their new QB.

I think Teddy is building the case that he could be a starter again, but any team that goes with him as their starter will likely have a strong contingency plan (or I feel they should). That's just my opinion.
The Jets are the Jets. What's your issue with him outside of the injury and why would you need a contingency plan?

I think he'd be a good signing for a team that drafts Tua or any of those rookie QBs that need to develop. He gets to be the unquestioned starter for a year then goes into competition once the rookie is ready. If he balls out for that year they'll have a good problem.

Basically I think his best location is as an unquestioned starter but on a short term (2-3 year) bridge QB contract. If Drew doesn't re-sign that's how I'd want him here. Meanwhile looking in the draft for a QB. For Teddy, all you can ask for is a guaranteed chance to start. I think he's earned that.

I didn't watch a lot of him in College or Minnesota but is the conservative label him or the systems he's been in? i mean i don't think we can judge his style given his situation with us, his job was not to take a risk and most games we weren't behind.

In college, he had 9.3 yards per attempt which was top 10, and higher than any year of Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow, except for Burrow this past year.

In 2013, He was 13th of all QBs in plays over 30 yards, and 12th of all QBs in plays over 20 yards. If you look (wayyy) down that list, you'll see a couple players that you might recognize:

The notion that Teddy is this super conservative QB is misguided. He was with the Vikings who at that point (and even still, somewhat) ran one of the most conservative, molasses offenses in modern NFL history, and the Saints who were very clearly running a conservative offense as well.

He's not a conservative QB, but he's capable of running a conservative game plan, which are two different things that a lot of people have a hard time separating.

He would thrive in Arians' or Brady's system. I hope it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom